121 replies to this topic

#1 Fiddler

Fiddler

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

I apologize if this has been done before, but when going through some threads about favorites here I wanted to get some thoughts on this.

What are some of your favorite scary scenes. These could be in Movies, Television, games, books or whatever other medium you can think of. I love reading about what is scary to other people.

I have a few to share;

--The first one is from early in my life and isn't even from watching the movie. I was 7 years old when nightmare on elm street came to theaters. I was up late one night by myself watching tv. A preview came on for a new movie coming to theatres and it was for Nightmare. It was the scene where Freddie is coming down the alley towards the girl and his arms extend to touch both sides.

I literally ran to my parents room screaming and crying I was so scared(I was kind of a wussy kid, lol). I didn't watch the movie until I was 13 years old and it has since become one of my favorite movies.

-- The second one is odd in a way. I will preface it by saying that to this day I am petrified by possession/alien abduction stuff. I still can't watch exorcism movies without being scared out of my mind. There is something about not being in control that really freaks me right out.

Having said that, this scene was actually at the end of Blair Witch Project. The last scene where the guy has to stand in the corner and wait for whatever is there to finish with his friend is chilling to me. He seems to convey the feelings of horror he is going through, all the while he has no control over his body.

--The third is from a game and is more of a jump scare type. Its from Resident evil 2 the first game I ever played on playstation. My little brother, older brother and I were all playing this game. One of us was controlling while the others were navigating and we were experiencing the game together.

It was around 2 in the morning with all the lights off and we were huddled in a small extra room at my brothers house. We went into an interogation room that was on the other side of a window that we looked into previously(actually a 2 way mirror I believe), so we knew we were safe to stop and think over what we were going to do.

That was when a demon dog came through the mirror at us.

This scared us litterally out of our chairs and sent us into the other room with a lotta of foul language coming from us.

Ok, those are three of mine, what are some of yours?

#2 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

made of moonlight magic and macabre

• Members
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

I was fucking petrified at the end of Rec, oh my god, just thinking about it, NOPE. I'm not so good with scary things though, lol.

#3 lessthanluke

lessthanluke

World's Strongest Hobo

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't remember how old I was but I was in the room with my parents and they were watching the X-Files.and there was a character called Tombs(?) who could shapeshift(?) the details are very foggy without looking it up but there was a specific scene that set me off. I just remember being terrified and for months being scared that he would come up through the toilet...

To imdb I go to solve the mystery.

#4 TheArrynsKnight

TheArrynsKnight

Council Member

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

REC's ending was indeed very scary. The japanese version of Shutter has one scene that's absolutely chilling too. I won't say which one it is, but it's towards the end and explains some things from the movie, and let's just say it gives me goosebumps to think about. You know which one it is if you've seen the movie.

And for mentally hard scenes A Serbian Film has some. The rape of the newborn baby is one of the most disgusting scenes I've seen, and also the end where he has coitus with his dead son, if I recall it correctly. Let's just say that after A Serbian Film it will take a few days until you feel normal again.

Then I can get goosebumps and get an uneasy feeling reading about real life things. For examples, serial killers like The Night Lurker and Zodiac. Where you can't really understand the method of the madness. And one of the most creepy pictures I've seen is that of "The Boy In The Box". The title describes it, but it's a young boy (about maybe 5-6) who was found dead in a box during the early 20th century iirc. He looks bruised and battered and to imagine who does the things and then puts the boy in the box. That is quite chilling.

#5 Theda Baratheon

Theda Baratheon

made of moonlight magic and macabre

• Members
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I don't remember how old I was but I was in the room with my parents and they were watching the X-Files.and there was a character called Tombs(?) who could shapeshift(?) the details are very foggy without looking it up but there was a specific scene that set me off. I just remember being terrified and for months being scared that he would come up through the toilet...

To imdb I go to solve the mystery.

Oh my god, I remember I was disturbed for months after watching an X-Files episode where a woman was kept under this bed with cut off limbs being raped by her sons, oh man, I haven't made this up, I watched it when I was like...12 and was so frightened and disgusted and disturbed

#6 AndrewBaelish

AndrewBaelish

Council Member

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

I don't like the Paranormal Activity movies. I just simply think they're dumb. And as a franchise it sucks.
But, that last 15 or so minutes of the first movie scared the shit out of me. It literally sent chills down my spine.

Does the Red Wedding count?

The end of Crawlspace from Breaking Bad disturbed me.

Family Remains from Supernatural. The scene where the girl steps over the line had me cringing.

Signs. Holy fuck. That whole movie just scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. But the part where Mel Gibson uses the knife to look under the door, and when they see it standing on the roof of their barn, just straight up scared me.

And there was a movie starring Jensen Ackles, before Supernatural, called Devour that... while not a scary movie per se, disturbed my cousin, my friend, and I so bad that we threw the movie in the trash the next morning. We don't know why, but every single one of us had nightmares after it.
And it was a horrible movie. Low budget, poorly made, bad acting, but still freaked us out. And this was just two years ago! (I'm 20, my cousin is 25, and my friend is 22 now)

And, I know it was widely avoided on this board, but the Evil Dead remake from this year. I bought it yesterday morning on my way out of work from Walmart. I saw it in theaters, and it didn't effect me. Saw it yesterday, still didn't effect me. Or scare me I should say. It's a great movie, just not terrifying.
Anyway, the more I think about it, the more and more it just disturbes me.

There's a scene... fairly early on in the movie when one of the people become possessed. They're off in a room by themself. And they get possessed. And I don't know why, but that scene just gets me.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Kept thinking of more and more.

#7 Ser Hippie

Ser Hippie

Hand to Oski the Bear

• Members
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Oh my god, I remember I was disturbed for months after watching an X-Files episode where a woman was kept under this bed with cut off limbs being raped by her sons, oh man, I haven't made this up, I watched it when I was like...12 and was so frightened and disgusted and disturbed

Home. Very...uh...memorable for me too. /stillsick.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stillsick:' />

#8 The Mountain That Flies

The Mountain That Flies

Council Member

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

I first read Dracula when I was 13. The only thing that really got was near the end of Johnathan's entry in his original time in Transelvania, when he looks out the window and sees the Count crawl out his window and down the walls. Nearly made crapped my pants.

The ending of Silence of the Lambs (when we're watching Starling through the POV of Buffalo Bill in his night vision goggles) had me pretty damn tense as well. I believe was 15 for that one.

And at the jaded old age of 26, I encountered Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves. I can't recomend that book enough, but any of the times he started altering the formatting of the page to match the mood of the scene was terrifying.

#9 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian

• Members
  • 18,850 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Pennywise on TV and in the book.

There also some ridiculous scenes without him in It that shouldn't be scary but are.

#10 lessthanluke

lessthanluke

World's Strongest Hobo

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Now that I have thought about the Tombs episode I don't really want to use the bathroom tonight... /rofl2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />
The x-files had some terrifying shit. Well to my young self anyway!

#11 R'hllors Red Lobster

R'hllors Red Lobster

Low tide low life

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

The air ducts scene from Event Horizon... When the lights start going out, holy shit.

As for the "jumpiest" scare, when the Mom gasps in High Tension. Pretty sure I peed the couch, Poppie on Seinfeld style

#12 karaddin

karaddin

Running estrogen on unlicensed hardware

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

The air ducts scene from Event Horizon... When the lights start going out, holy shit.

As for the "jumpiest" scare, when the Mom gasps in High Tension. Pretty sure I peed the couch, Poppie on Seinfeld style

I don't remember any specifics from Event Horizon. I just remembered that it scared and disturbed the shit out of me, and blank on any more detail than that.

#13 Mike

Mike

Council Member

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Pennywise on TV and in the book.

There also some ridiculous scenes without him in It that shouldn't be scary but are.

Yep. Pennywise is Stephen King's most frightening creation.

Salem's Lot scared the fuck out me as a kid, too. That scene when the vampire kid is hovering at the main kid's window, tapping and asking to be let in. Freaked my shit out.

#14 Fiddler

Fiddler

Council Member

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Yep. Pennywise is Stephen King's most frightening creation.

Salem's Lot scared the fuck out me as a kid, too. That scene when the vampire kid is hovering at the main kid's window, tapping and asking to be let in. Freaked my shit out.

OH MY GOD THIS!! I forget about that until I see the movie or someone mentions it. I was scared shitless as a kid by that. I used to have a tree outside my bedroom window and the branches would scratch on the screen. I was petrified. This tree also caused some Poltergiest related nightmares.

Also IT. IT is my favorite book, probably of all time, but when I read it I was very young(9 maybe?) and it scared the ever living out of me.

Someone mention Signs also. There was a scene in the movie Pheonix was watching the news or something on a small tv in a closet I think. The news was showing a birthday party or something and in the background you just see a quick flash as an alien walked by(on the news broadcast that Pheonix was watching) and Pheonix jumped and so did I. Something about the way the it was all played out scared the beejezus out of me.

Edited by Fiddler, 17 July 2013 - 11:01 PM.

#15 R'hllors Red Lobster

R'hllors Red Lobster

Low tide low life

• Members
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

For flat out creepiest...
"Through the dark of futures past, the magician longs to see... One chants out, between two worlds; FIRE, WALK WITH ME!"

#16 RedEyedGhost

RedEyedGhost

Clone Club!

• Members
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

I don't remember any specifics from Event Horizon. I just remembered that it scared and disturbed the shit out of me, and blank on any more detail than that.

Event Horizon is really the only movie that actually scared me. And I love it for that.

#17 Ramsay Blow

Ramsay Blow

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

In the french horror movie Frontiers, this guy is crawling through a tight space and keeps getting stuck because it's so tight while being crawled after by these monster kids. I'm claustrophobic and it makes me squirm and is scary at the same time.

In the Exorcist when Regan walks down during her mother's party and tells the astronaut he's gonna die up there then pisses on the rug, freaked me out first time I saw that. Also the crab walk scene that was deleted, in the book she follows the mother's assistant around trying to lick her leg while doing the spider-crab walk thing.

For jump-out-of-your-seat scary, Insidious when we see the red demon in back of Patrick Wilson's character in the kitchen.

#18 Nerolunar

Nerolunar

Still waiting for superpowers

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

I'm so happy I have never watched a movie that actually scared me.. But when someone tells me about some very scary ones, I become scared. My friend did this with The Human Centipede..

#19 Snowborn

Snowborn

Bonehunter

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

I found the novel(ette?) Apt Pupil disturbing. As for scary... maybe The Orphanage, directed by Juan Antonio Bayona. I don't get easily scared by movies, but that one was really good. I don't remember any particular scene, though, since I watched it when it first came out.

I'm so happy I have never watched a movie that actually scared me.. But when someone tells me about some very scary ones, I become scared. My friend did this with The Human Centipede..

The Human Centipede /rofl2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' /> it was so disgusting. I haven't watched the sequel yet.

#20 malek

malek

Council Member

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:32 AM

Still can't watch that episode. So disturbing.

Couple of redneck brothers keeping their disfigured, insane and limbless mother tied for door and kept under the bed for breading purpose ?! How the hell anyone can come up with something like that ???

Reply to this topic