Shattered Sea Trilogy (aka 'So much for Abercrombie's sabbatical')

MisterOJ

"Strung around her neck on a leather throng was an elf-tabet, the green card studded with black jewels, scrawled with incomprehensible markings, riddled with golden lines"

Ah. Yep that'll do it. :lol:

Hey, how'd you get a copy of that? Special advance copy?

sorry if you already explained this somewhere

I was in line for an advance copy anyway, but they were giving them away at Worldcon so I snapped one up there.

I'm regretting reading the second book so far ahead of publication. It'll settle a lot of these arguments once and for all. Arrgh.

Then maybe you can tell me what the hell Thorn was given because I suck at figuring out these allusions. Also what two rivers I should be looking for on a map because I also suck at European Geography.

• 1 month later...

Then maybe you can tell me what the hell Thorn was given because I suck at figuring out these allusions. Also what two rivers I should be looking for on a map because I also suck at European Geography.

I've read it now.

The artefact given to Thorn was a wrist watch. The "elf magic" used by her mentor was to fire a rifle at steppe horsemen who attacked them. The two rivers that the party travels down are the Dvina, (called the Divine in the book,) and the Dneiper (called the Denied). They pass through Kalyiv (Kiev) and reach The First of Cities (Istanbul/Constantinople). The Empress rules a State based on the Byzantine Empire, with the inhabitants having Greek or Italianate names.

They pass through a ruined "elf city" on the Divine, which I take to be Vitebsk. I think it's clear that we are the "elves" and that some catastrophe (probably a nuclear war) destroyed our civilisation, sending the world back hundreds of years. But, there are plenty of relics of our civilisation, which are highly prized.

I've read it now.

The artefact given to Thorn was a wrist watch. The "elf magic" used by her mentor was to fire a rifle at steppe horsemen who attacked them. The two rivers that the party travels down are the Dvina, (called the Divine in the book,) and the Dneiper (called the Denied). They pass through Kalyiv (Kiev) and reach The First of Cities (Istanbul/Constantinople). The Empress rules a State based on the Byzantine Empire, with the inhabitants having Greek or Italianate names.

They pass through a ruined "elf city" on the Divine, which I take to be Vitebsk. I think it's clear that we are the "elves" and that some catastrophe (probably a nuclear war) destroyed our civilisation, sending the world back hundreds of years. But, there are plenty of relics of our civilisation, which are highly prized.

Cool. I had poured over some maps and figured out the rivers, and the magic I got right off. But that first artifact had continued to elude.

And yes, I think your elf theory is the only one to consider.

Cool. I had poured over some maps and figured out the rivers, and the magic I got right off. But that first artifact had continued to elude.

And yes, I think your elf theory is the only one to consider.

I think the reason why people are forbidden to enter the ruins of Lanangad (Leningrad/St. Petersburg?) and Strokom (Stockholm?) is due to radiation.

Are there more than 3 chapter released? That's all I saw on Avercrombies website, but people are referencing thing that weren't in them.

I bought a copy in Waterstone's Piccadilly, although I've not seen any others for sale.

I bought a copy in Waterstone's Piccadilly, although I've not seen any others for sale.

Waterstones website seems to be allowing click and collect for the majority of central London stores atm. I have mine to collect at the Trafalgar Sq. Store

Waterstones website seems to be allowing click and collect for the majority of central London stores atm. I have mine to collect at the Trafalgar Sq. Store

Will have to swing by Forbidden Planet as they have signed copies and they're usually pretty bad when it comes to adhering to release dates (although I was saddened to discover it wasn't there on Saturday)

Will have to swing by Forbidden Planet as they have signed copies and they're usually pretty bad when it comes to adhering to release dates (although I was saddened to discover it wasn't there on Saturday)

Waterstones were selling signed copies.

Archived