Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

AndrewBaelish

So Whedon revealed the title of Avengers 2 at Comic-Con today.

And not much else I believe. But hey, we have a title.

Well it's bound to be better than Bendis' version. We might even see Ultron in it. But I can't really see how they'd adapt it at all. Two of the central characters in the comic are ones they don't own - they could just switch them out but I don't know who'd make a substitute for Wolverine given his decision. I suppose Black Widow is the best choice or maybe Hawkeye (don't know if he's a killer in the movies). Then there's the fact the Scarlet Witch and QuickSilver are going to be in the film.

The good thing is that it means the story is going to be very different which can only be a good thing.

No time-travel please - lets just have Ultron take over and then the heroes have to stop him. The movieverse can probably survive the world being enslaved for several weeks without it being too alien to the real world afterwards (just don't go blowing up cities). Otherwise doing a massive what if in the marvel movieverse seems like imitating comics to an unnecessary level.

Ultron is cool though and I still think they should have him as Tony Stark creation - especially with Hank Pym not turning up until Ant man in 2015/16. Unless they use him in the SHIELD show?

It does leave me wondering where Thanos fits in? Is he a tease for film 3 or is he just going to be in Guardians?

Thanos is going to stay in the shadows for Avengers 2 and emerge for Avengers 3.

I have to say that I'm a bit worried about Phase 2 and onwards. Phase 1 was a home run on all fronts, but only because they struck a balance where, for every silly, cartoonish appearance like Red Skull or The Destroyer, they also had some meaningful relationships and grounded settings. We're definitely moving into a more silly direction with rocket racoons, avatars of Death, dark elves older than the universe, going out into the galaxy and whatnot. I can't help wonder what the end result will be.

Its just using the name apparently, its more heavily based on the original Ultron/Vision plotline.

Now I'm just wondering if Hank Pym is going to be in the film too, or if they are going to change Ultron's origin to save on the cast bloat. It does seem to further cement the Vin Diesel as Vision casting rumour and maybe even the rumour of them killing off Hawkeye.

Its just using the name apparently, its more heavily based on the original Ultron/Vision plotline.

Now I'm just wondering if Hank Pym is going to be in the film too, or if they are going to change Ultron's origin to save on the cast bloat. It does seem to further cement the Vin Diesel as Vision casting rumour and maybe even the rumour of them killing off Hawkeye.

I forgot about Vin Diesel's heavy hinting at being in Avengers 2 (there was that twitpic of him standing next to the avengers cover with the blurb "introducing the vision"). Thinking about it he does look a bit like the Vision (which is odd).

There's going to have to be some major streamlining though. Wasn't the Vision Wonderman's memories in a cyborg? There hasn't been a Wonder Man yet so it would have to be someone else for it to have any meaning? I guess it could be Hawkeye. Although we'd need Ultron to be created before we get Vision.

I guess they could just have Thanos send Ultron through a wormhole and be lazy about it. Or Thanos infected Iron Man's armour when he went through that wormhole and it is taking over the suit. Ultron is then essentially sentient Iron Man armour. This would even sort of fit in with Iron Man 3 (maybe the suit wasn't acting out of Tony's nightmares)

Thanos is going to stay in the shadows for Avengers 2 and emerge for Avengers 3.

I have to say that I'm a bit worried about Phase 2 and onwards. Phase 1 was a home run on all fronts, but only because they struck a balance where, for every silly, cartoonish appearance like Red Skull or The Destroyer, they also had some meaningful relationships and grounded settings. We're definitely moving into a more silly direction with rocket racoons, avatars of Death, dark elves older than the universe, going out into the galaxy and whatnot. I can't help wonder what the end result will be.

I do worry that things may get to bloating and interconnected but I still thoroughly enjoyed Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2 sounds better than the first. Thor I'm not so sure about. Guardians of the Galaxy is the big gamble as comic fans aren't even that aware (and based on old sales not fond) of them - let alone regular joes. Of course having "marvel presents" is what will win most folk over.

I don't think the movie's title necessarily marries it to the recent storyline. I think this is a case of the Studio trying to hype up Age of Ultron and using the title of the movie to do it. I'm fully expecting the film to be the brainchild of Joss, though I'm sure Bendis is enjoying the ego boost.

I guess we can file the recent semi-confirmation of Aaron Johnson as Quicksilver here, too. He was in "early talks" last month or so, according to some news outlets, but he pretty much confirmed that he took the role in an interview with MTV during Kick Ass 2 promo. They asked him about Quicksilver -- and without any coyness at all -- answered by saying he can't say too much about it yet, and his wife recently went out and purchased a bunch of Quicksilver comics for him to look over.

Sort of ironic that Aaron Johnson is playing Marvel's Quicksilver, while his Kick Ass co-star, Evan Peters, is playing the FOX version for Days of Future Past.

I think they may have a little bit of time travel, though I don't think they'll do the multiple timelines thing.

Probably have someone (Vision?) come from the future to war us, Terminator style.

Sort of ironic that Aaron Johnson is playing Marvel's Quicksilver, while his Kick Ass co-star, Evan Peters, is playing the FOX version for Days of Future Past.

I'll be interested to see their takes (and the screenwriter's) on Quicksilver. Both actors are great (Evan moreso from his American Horror story roles). I think Aaron might get the better deal in terms of who he's working with - the Avengers cast seems small compared to the new x-men film.

I think they may have a little bit of time travel, though I don't think they'll do the multiple timelines thing.

Probably have someone (Vision?) come from the future to war us, Terminator style.

Which would also be a bit like the new x-men film. One benefit of a time-travel story is that all bets are off, which is probably important in a shared universe. The rub is that they don't really "count" although if Whedon and Singer pull off an amazing film, I really don't care whether it "counts" or not.

I'm really hoping the new X-men film is great. The X-franchise needs to step up and as Fox have said the X-men franchise can be as big as the marvel universe almost by itself. Although the x-books have often been derivitive the recent X-force series could be a nice way to explore an Apocalypse story and test the water for a proper deadpool film. I'm a bit off-track but the comic news over the weekend has been pretty solid and has me hoping there's still a lot of life left in the genre.

They're already pushing the line of cartoonish plots and characters with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and using time travel (especially this early in the "Avengers" series) could absolutly shatter it. Realistically, the title of the film is just to play off the "popularity" of the comic arc, and Ultron and the Vision will be products of Tony Stark's.

Think about it. Even if we pretend the character is over a decade younger than Robert Downey Jr., Tony Stark isgetting older and worn down. After the success of using his various armors in Iron Man 3, he may look into more advanced A.I. to fight his battles. All it takes is one of those programs getting corrupted for us to see the birth of Ultron.

Hell, the movie could use the same method of introducing the character the comics did. Ultron appears as an antagonist (having tried to sue the Vision as a mole), only to late reveal Tony created him and Ultron wiped his memory of it. I know Hank Pym is supposed to be in the Ant-Man film, but how central Tony Stark is to the Avengers series, having him be Ultron's creator will maximize the emotional impact.

They're already pushing the line of cartoonish plots and characters with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and using time travel (especially this early in the "Avengers" series) could absolutly shatter it. Realistically, the title of the film is just to play off the "popularity" of the comic arc, and Ultron and the Vision will be products of Tony Stark's.

Oh, I was thinking Vision would just be from the future, not that all the Avengers would be traveling back and forth through time.

Though I agree with you that it would be more interesting to see Tony create Ultron.

The best version of Ultron turning evil was in Earth's Mightiest Heroes, since they redeemed Hank's character considerably from the comics. Captain America needs the Ultron AI to help protect Earth from aliens, and once it gets a taste of violence it doesn't stop.

Well it's bound to be better than Bendis' version. We might even see Ultron in it. But I can't really see how they'd adapt it at all. Two of the central characters in the comic are ones they don't own - they could just switch them out but I don't know who'd make a substitute for Wolverine given his decision. I suppose Black Widow is the best choice or maybe Hawkeye (don't know if he's a killer in the movies). Then there's the fact the Scarlet Witch and QuickSilver are going to be in the film.

The good thing is that it means the story is going to be very different which can only be a good thing.

No time-travel please - lets just have Ultron take over and then the heroes have to stop him. The movieverse can probably survive the world being enslaved for several weeks without it being too alien to the real world afterwards (just don't go blowing up cities). Otherwise doing a massive what if in the marvel movieverse seems like imitating comics to an unnecessary level.

Ultron is cool though and I still think they should have him as Tony Stark creation - especially with Hank Pym not turning up until Ant man in 2015/16. Unless they use him in the SHIELD show?

It does leave me wondering where Thanos fits in? Is he a tease for film 3 or is he just going to be in Guardians?

Wow, I just read The Age of Ultron plot synopsis on wikipedia, and that was a laugh riot. Fuh. King. Terrible.

I do worry that things may get to bloating and interconnected but I still thoroughly enjoyed Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2 sounds better than the first. Thor I'm not so sure about. Guardians of the Galaxy is the big gamble as comic fans aren't even that aware (and based on old sales not fond) of them - let alone regular joes. Of course having "marvel presents" is what will win most folk over.

It will be interesting to watch the ticket sales as things get nuttier and nuttier. I don't think they have carte blanche in their movie universe yet (and likely never will as the movie going public is much different than the comic buying public).

Any chance of Spiderman joining up?

No chance at all.

Makes sense. They'll need to find ways into some of these lesser known characters if they're to hold up their own movies. Though Guardians seems to just be getting thrown in the deep end.

An interview with one of the Thor:Dark age cast let slip that there will be set up for Guardians of the Galaxy present

Clive Russel/Blackfish/Asgarian God said he's in a scene with Benicio del toro

I could imagine Sony be up for the free publicity of their Spider-man being in Avengers 2 but I'm pretty certain from disney's point of view that there's as much chance of Batman showing up in Avengers 2. There's no way they'd want to promote Marvel's single most popular character (with Wolvie being 2nd - ouch) when the only chance they have of getting the character back is for Spider-man to become a toxic character that Sony doesn't want to make another film (think Punisher, Ghost Rider and Daredevil but with a character that is more iconic). Maybe they would let Spider-man in it but he'd be made out to be an utter loser.

Until the marvel movie-verse is relaunched (which will eventually happen) they can't have Garfield Spider-man in it even if they wanted to as then people would think those films are part of the Marvel movieverse. Although I suspect a lot of people assume that anyhow given the MArvel banner at the start of the spidey films.

Also, this just got posted:

http://www.newsarama...o-hank-pym.html

Well, Whedon could have saved everyone a bit of time and called it something else if he doesn't want his "age of Ultron" film to be confused with the "age of Ultron" comic that just wrapped up. I'm sure trade sales for that waste of time event will skyrocket now though.

There's plenty of other names they could have went with "Ultron war" "united against ultron", "rise of Ultron" or even better "Avengers 2". Or "marvel studios presents earth's mightiest heroes avengers assemble 2" to keep the clunky UK style titling

Archived