CDC Study: Use of Firearms For Self-Defense is ‘Important Crime Deterrent’

Free Northman

Interesting CDC report on homicide rates in persons aged 10-24, 1981-2010

http://www.cdc.gov/m..._cid=mm6227a1_e

INteresting that the homicide rate peaked in 1994 and has progressively declined since then, which (acknowledging correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation) coincides with the 1994 Federal assault weapons ban.

Interesting graph towards the end shows firearm homocides and non-firearm homocides, clearly showing progressive decline in non-firearm homocides through the whole 30-year period whereas for firearm homicides a significant rise from 1984-94 then declining from 1994 to 2010.

Interesting also the rate of decline is not uniform. The rate of decline in females has been greater than the rate of decline in males, and the rate of decline in non-African American males has been faster than the rate of decline in African American males. But the good news is declines have happened across the board. Though 28.8/100,000 in African American Males 20-24 yrs of age is still far too high, I would think.

Anyway I thought it was a good read. Though I haven't read the entire report.

All the boasting about how "safe" you are with your guns won't ever stack up to the regrets should one day little curious timmy found an unsecured weapon and pulled the trigger for fun.

That's why it's essential to teach young Timothy about fire-arms, so if this situation occurs he can follow the NRA's Eddie Eagle program.

If you see a gun:

STOP!

Don't Touch.

Leave the Area.

Tell an Adult.

http://eddieeagle.nra.org/

I grew up in a house full of guns, as do millions of American youngsters. Some of my fondest memories are of going shooting with my Dad. My cousins all received rifles for their 10th birthdays.

Anyway, young Timothy is 100 times more likely to drown in the family pool than to shoot himself with his father's gun.

INteresting that the homicide rate peaked in 1994 and has progressively declined since then, which (acknowledging correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation) coincides with the 1994 Federal assault weapons ban.
Since the decline in violent crime continued after the AWB was lifted, there is likely no direct relationship there.

The sheep are going to hit the fan at home. This just happened last night:

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-orleans/nopd-man-shot-in-head-in-marigny-in-critical-condition/-/9853400/21178686/-/lyloduz/-/index.html

No further information except that the shooter has lawyered up. The address signifies a monied white neighborhood. The boy is in ICU.

Interesting CDC report on homicide rates in persons aged 10-24, 1981-2010

http://www.cdc.gov/m..._cid=mm6227a1_e

Interesting graph towards the end shows firearm homocides and non-firearm homocides, clearly showing progressive decline in non-firearm homocides through the whole 30-year period whereas for firearm homicides a significant rise from 1984-94 then declining from 1994 to 2010.

Interesting also the rate of decline is not uniform. The rate of decline in females has been greater than the rate of decline in males, and the rate of decline in non-African American males has been faster than the rate of decline in African American males. But the good news is declines have happened across the board. Though 28.8/100,000 in African American Males 20-24 yrs of age is still far too high, I would think.

Anyway I thought it was a good read. Though I haven't read the entire report.

I remember from sociology classes years ago that there was a significant reduction in crime starting in the late 1980s and the 90s. What's interesting was that they made the link between the legalisation of abortion during the 70s. I can't remember the name of the study. Point is: there can be hidden effects and hidden triggers.

I remember from sociology classes years ago that there was a significant reduction in crime starting in the late 1980s and the 90s. What's interesting was that they made the link between the legalisation of abortion during the 70s. I can't remember the name of the study. Point is: there can be hidden effects and hidden triggers.

There is also a nice correlation between lead exposure due to leaded fuel and violent crime; with a chance of there actually being a causation.

I believe you are referencing Freakonomics: http://www.freakonom...ld-you-believe/

Personally, I subscribe to this belief.

However

You could also make the argument that since CCW have been issued en masse, violent crime has also gone down.

http://www.wral.com/...story/11204311/

http://www.thenewame...lent-crime-down

http://www.beauforto...the-crimes.html

Edit: Although I primarily believe in Freakonomics' study, I've never seen any study that shows that issuing CCW/CCL en masse has ever increased murders; only prevent robbery/rape/murder.

There is also a nice correlation between lead exposure due to leaded fuel and violent crime; with a chance of there actually being a causation.

Ah, I was recently talking to a friend about this.

Meant to make a thread but forgot about it amidst the compelling Potato and Mutant Rights threads.

Personally, I subscribe to this belief.

However

You could also make the argument that since CCW have been issued en masse, violent crime has also gone down.

Hmm, I doubt CCW works well with New York, let alone European nations, which also showed drops.

Hmm, I doubt CCW works well with New York, let alone European nations, which also showed drops.

I gotcha. The point I was really trying to make is that there are a plethora of studies that try to pinpoint why X reason is the result of gun crimes going down. I suggest people read the Freakonomics study I posted (#246) because IMHO that is why violence IN GENERAL has gone down in America.

But, that all being said...why deny someone a CCW if there is absolutely no evidence (I've never seen anything to prove otherwise) to suggest that CCW holders increase crime?

Edit: Grammar

five states are now Constitutional Carry

In the United States, Constitutional Carry is a situation within a jurisdiction in which the carrying of firearms, concealed or not, is generally not restricted by the law. When a state or other jurisdiction has adopted Constitutional Carry, it is legal for law-abiding citizens to carry a handgun, firearm, or other weapon concealed with or without an applicable permit or license.

I gotcha. The point I was really trying to make is that there are a plethora of studies that try to pinpoint why X reason is the result of gun crimes going down. I suggest people read the Freakonomics study I posted (#246) because IMHO that is why violence IN GENERAL has gone down in America.

But, that all being said...why deny someone a CCW if there is absolutely no evidence (I've never seen anything to prove otherwise) to suggest that CCW holders increase crime?

Violence has gone down all over the world. Which is why policy things like Roe v Wade or Guns tend to be uncompelling explanations.

Here some perspective on getting a CCW in NJ:

For the first time in 45 years the New Jersey Supreme Court has granted a hearing related to Second Amendment rights, on the case of Richard Pantano, owner of a NJ Landscape Supply Business that handles as much as $2,000,000 in cash a year.

The Manalapan Township Police Chief had approved Pantano’s application in December 2010 and the State appealed. In a written opinion, Judge Francis P. DeStefano concluded after a testimonial hearing that Pantano had not demonstrated “a justifiable need to carry a handgun.” N.J.S.A. 2C:58–4(d).

Pantano asserts the court erred in finding no justifiable need, and, in the alternative, he argues the justifiable need requirement infringes his right to bear arms under the Second Amendment. U.S. Constitution, amendment. II.

Although Concealed Carry Laws are on the books in New Jersey, judges and police chiefs have almost unanimously declined concealed carry permits to everyone but, other police, judges, politicians and famous friends of the aforementioned Effectively New Jersey does not have Concealed Carry, and contrary to mainstream media reports, is still the only state in the USA where its citizens can not defend themselves outside their homes.

Link: http://www.ammoland..../#ixzz2Zv9myxtU

Edit: Grammar

So this is interesting .......... A small school district in Arkansas will arm 20 volunteer teachers and staff with handguns starting in the fall:

The district will be the first in the state to arm teachers and is doing so under a state law that allows licensed, armed security guards on campus. The school’s participants in the program, whose identities will be kept secret, will be considered security guards after undergoing 53 hours of training.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2013/0730/Guns-in-schools-Arkansas-district-will-arm-20-teachers-and-staff

Now, if you're a shooter that wants to inflict maximum casualties - are you going to attack the school with the bunch of teachers with guns, or the one with unarmed people only?

I went to a high school that had police officers (who carried guns) in it. It wasn't because my school was dangerous, it wasn't. My high school was/is the largest (in campus size/student size) in NJ. I thought it was normal to see them with guns, because well...as a poster had said earlier, "It's better to have it and never need it, than to need it and not have it".

I know there's a difference between a police officer and a teacher, but if any one ever looked at the "Police Abuse" thread know that doesn't mean ALL police officers use discretion when it comes to their gun. Also, it's not as if these teachers are just given guns and are thrown into the fray. They are receiving 53 hours of training. I think more districts need to be moving in this direction.

Now, if you're a shooter that wants to inflict maximum casualties - are you going to attack the school with the bunch of teachers with guns, or the one with unarmed people only?

Probably the one you have a personal connection to.

Archived