Quotes about / by Robb

Erkan12

I have notice that, in Robb's wiki there is no qutoes about him like Robert, Stannis, Renly and Eddard. So which quotes should be suitable add for it ?

Some of them...

By

Robb: I can’t release the Kingslayer, not even if I wanted to. My lords would never abide it.

Catelyn: Your lords made you their king.

Robb: And can unmake me just as easy.

acok -7- to Catelyn

Love’s not always wise, I’ve learned. It can lead us to great folly, but we follow our hearts ... wherever they take us.

aSoS|14

I’ve made a botch of everything but the battles, haven’t I? I thought the battles would be the hard part, but ... if I had listened to you and kept Theon as my hostage, I’d still rule the north, and Bran and Rickon would be alive and safe in Winterfell.

- to Catelyn aSoS|14

Robb: Greatjon, keep Lord Karstark here till I return, and hang the other seven.

Greatjon: Even the dead ones?

Robb: Yes. I will not have such fouling my lord uncle’s rivers. Let them feed the crows.

One of the Captive: Mercy, sire. I killed no one, I only stood at the door to watch for guards.

Robb: Did you know what Lord Rickard intended? Did you see the knives drawn? Did you hear the shouts, the screams, the cries for mercy?

Captive: Aye, I did, but I took no part. I was only the watcher, I swear it...

Robb: Lord Umber, this one was only the watcher. Hang him last, so he may watch the others die.

aSoS|20 -

Blackfish: You know that for a certainty? That this will make young Karstark your enemy?

Robb: What else would he be? I am about to kill his father, he’s not like to thank me.

Blackfish: He might. There are sons who hate their fathers, and in a stroke you will make him Lord of Karhold.

Robb: Even if Harrion were that sort, he could never openly forgive his father’s killer. His own men would turn on him. These are northmen, Uncle. The north remembers.

aSoS|20

Gods be good, why would any man ever want to be king? When everyone was shouting King in the North, King in the North, I told myself ... swore to myself ... that I would be a good king, as honorable as Father, strong, just, loyal to my friends and brave when I faced my enemies ... now I can’t even tell one from the other. How did it all get so confused? Lord Rickard’s fought at my side in half a dozen battles. His sons died for me in the Whispering Wood. Tion Frey and Willem Lannister were my enemies. Yet now I have to kill my dead friends’ father for their sakes.

aSoS|20

I have won every battle, yet somehow I'm losing the war.

aSoS|35

Catelyn: You would not be the first king to bend the knee, nor even the first Stark.

Robb: No. Never.

Catelyn: There is no shame in it. Balon Greyjoy bent the knee to Robert when his rebellion failed. Torrhen Stark bent the knee to Aegon the Conqueror rather than see his army face the fires.

Robb: Did Aegon kill King Torrhen’s father?

aSoS|35

Robb: Is that why you freed the Kingslayer? To make a peace with the Lannisters?

Catelyn: I freed Jaime for Sansa’s sake ... and Arya’s, if she still lives. You know that. But if I nurtured some hope of buying peace as well, was that so ill?

Robb: Yes, The Lannisters killed my father.

Catelyn: Do you think I have forgotten that?

Robb: I don’t know. Have you?

aSoS|35

If you keep all your treasures in one purse, you only make it easier for those who would rob you.

aSoS|45

About

No sword is strong until it’s been tempered, The Stark boy is a child. No doubt he likes the sound of warhorns well enough, and the sight of his banners fluttering in the wind, but in the end it comes down to butcher’s work. I doubt he has the stomach for it.

aGoT|56 - Tywin Lannister before battle of Whispering Wood

Varys: Cersei is frightened of you, my lord . . . but she has other enemies she fears even more. Her beloved Jaime is fighting the river lords even now. Lysa Arryn sits in the Eyrie, ringed in stone and steel, and there is no love lost between her and the queen. In Dorne, the Martells still brood on the murder of Princess Elia and her babes. And now your son marches down the Neck with a northern host at his back.

Eddard: Robb is only a boy.

Varys: A boy with an army.

aGoT|58

A wise man... and honorable.

aGoT|63 - Jaime Lannister

Your boy, he had my eyes, I remember.

aGoT|71 - Hoster Tully

There sits the only king I mean to bow my knee to, m’lords, The King in the North!

aGoT|71 - Greatjon

Robb Stark had won more battles in a year than the Lord of Highgarden had in twenty.

aSoS|19 - Tyrion's thoughts

The Young Wolf remains unbeaten in the field.

aSoS|19 - Littlefinger

Yes, Lord Umber, leave me to the king. He means to give me a scolding before he forgives me. That’s how he deals with treason, our King in the North or should I call you the King Who Lost the North, Your Grace?

aSoS|20 - Rickard Karstark

If you had to fall into a woman’s arms, my son, why couldn’t they have been Margaery Tyrell’s?

asos|14| Catelyn’s thoughts

He chose the girl’s honor over his own. Once he had deflowered her, he had no other course.

asos|19 - Kevan Lannister

Jeyne Westerling is her mother’s daughter, and Robb Stark is his father’s son.

asos|19 - Tywin Lannister

He won the war on the battlefield and lost it in a bedchamber.

aSoS|37 - Jaime Lannister's thoughts

Brienne: King Robb has won every battle,

Roose: Won every battle, while losing the Freys, the Karstarks, Winterfell, and the north.

aSoS|37

The boy was too wary in the field. He kept his men in good order, and surrounded himself with outriders and bodyguards.

aSoS|53 - Tywin Lannister

Jon: My brother Robb was King in the North . . .

Stannis: Your brother was the rightful Lord of Winterfell. If he had stayed home and done his duty, instead of crowning himself and riding off to conquer the riverlands, he might be alive today. Be that as it may. You are not Robb, no more than I am Robert.

aSoS|76

Jon: I loved my brother,

Stannis: And I mine. Yet they were what they were, and so are we. I am the only true king in Westeros, north or south. And you are Ned Stark’s bastard. Tywin Lannister has named Roose Bolton his Warden of the North, to reward him for betraying your brother.

aSoS|76

When Robb Stark took up arms against the bastard Joffrey-called-Baratheon, White Harbor marched with him. Lord Stark has fallen, but his war goes on.

adwd|19 - Davos

He was our king! He was brave and good.

adwd|19 - Wylla Manderly

And Robb. Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy’s loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him.

aDwD|46 - Theon's thoughts

• 3 weeks later...

There has been some discussion about the number of quotes on the articles. There were differences of opinion so we should try to formulate a policy about this.

How many quotes should we use for POV and other major characters

• Around 5
  • Around 10
  • Around 15
  • Around 20

And for less prominent / minor character:

• Around 5
  • Around 10

And are spoilers allowed in quotes. Maybe we should link this to the question where quotes should be.

• Though the whole article, including the first paragraph?
  • Or in a separate "Quote" paragraph (if so where on the page should that be placed?)
  • Only in the paragraphs discussion the books?

So let us hear your thoughts everybody!

20 quotes for a POV (10 by, 10 about) is plenty. As for non-POV, initially the suggestion was for 5-7, but 10 (5 by, 5 about) is probably a better number. There are way too many non-POV characters who are important to the story. 5 is restrictive, 7 is an odd number. 10 works. The quotes, IMO, should be left where they are i.e towards the bottom of the page. Their content, however, should be a little more regulated to ensure that there isn't too much given away. This is my copy pasta from the discussion page:

"Spoilers on this site are unavoidable. What is avoidable, however, is people have that kind of information thrust in their face in quoted italics. Wylla Manderly quoting "He was our king! He was brave and just!" on Robb's page is an example of this. The fact that she is talking in past tense implies that Robb is no longer around. A newer reader may be able to realise this, but would likely have no idea even who Wylla is. This is a small spoiler. Reading something like "Jaime Lannister sends his regards", on the other hand, has a massive spoiler potential, especially considering who said it."

Many of us have read the books, probably multiple times, so it's safe for me to assume that indifference on spoilers is expected and understood. Thing is, as the series grows in popularity (Thanks to the show) more and more people are coming online to both discuss and find out more about this incredible story. Some of them end up here. Did someone tell you about the Red Wedding? Can you imagine how mad you'd be if someone had told you about it beforehand?

Also, a quote should be a small insight, a quick glance at the type of character. Do we need an entire paragraph as a quote? Drogo's declaration to invade Westeros is an example of this. Yes, it's an important part of the story, but so is that whole chapter. "No", on the other hand (The only 'Westerosi' word he knows at first) is almost the perfect Drogo quote. He's a man of few words, even in his own tongue. None of the Khal seem to speak much Westerosi, so how is it he knows the word "No"? He's probably heard it from the thousand of begging or desperate people he's killed or sold. I could write for paragraphs, believe me, but I think I have made my point.

TL;DR Quotes are fine. Quotes are cool. I love quotes. Just not all quotes.

• 1 month later...

A form of spoiler warning might be given well simply by making it very clear which book the quote is from, perhaps by organizing them chronologically, subdivided by volume.

The consensus layout has the Quotes section after the Recent Events section, which [ideally] contains the spoilers arranged chronologically by book. If someone has read down to the Quotes, then theoretically they should have already read the book-by-book content.

• 3 weeks later...

Jamie was talking about Ned when he said "a wise man, and honorable". Robb had just said his father never condoned the murder of prisoners after battle.

The full quote ;

“ I have mislaid them as well, I fear.”

“A pity,” Catelyn said coldly.

“Kill him, Robb,” Theon Greyjoy urged. “Take his head off.”

“No,” her son answered, peeling off his bloody glove. “He’s more use alive than dead. And my lord father never condoned the murder of prisoners after a battle.”

“A wise man,” Jaime Lannister said, “and honorable.”

His father didn't say, 'He is more use alive than dead.'

And thats why Jaime saying 'wise man'...

• 2 weeks later...

The full quote ;

His father didn't say, 'He is more use alive than dead.'

And thats why Jaime saying 'wise man'...

I always thought Jamie was calling Eddard a wise man, and honorable. Everyone considered Eddard honorable and I believe Jamie, since he's a prisoner, is talking about Ned's stance on prisoners.

I always thought Jamie was calling Eddard a wise man, and honorable. Everyone considered Eddard honorable and I believe Jamie, since he's a prisoner, is talking about Ned's stance on prisoners.

I agree with you about 'honorable' but there is no reason calling Eddard 'wise' in that situation, plus Robb saying, 'He is more use alive than dead' it is a wisely move.

• 4 weeks later...

At first I thought this

Then upon a closer inspection I now think he was talking about Robb with a hint of envy even.

I agree with you about 'honorable' but there is no reason calling Eddard 'wise' in that situation, plus Robb saying, 'He is more use alive than dead' it is a wisely move.

• 3 weeks later...

There has been some discussion about the number of quotes on the articles. There were differences of opinion so we should try to formulate a policy about this.

How many quotes should we use for POV and other major characters

• Around 5
  • Around 10
  • Around 15
  • Around 20
And for less prominent / minor character:
  • Around 5
  • Around 10
And are spoilers allowed in quotes. Maybe we should link this to the question where quotes should be.
  • Though the whole article, including the first paragraph?
  • Or in a separate "Quote" paragraph (if so where on the page should that be placed?)
  • Only in the paragraphs discussion the books?
So let us hear your thoughts everybody!

I have a somewhat different idea. We provide quotes at the start of each section (including intro), therefore in cases where the article has minor content (where the "5 or 10 quotes rule" would apply very badly), constituted only by the intro, it can only receive one quote. I further suggest one exception to my "section"-proposal by allowing the major articles also a "Quotes" section (as it's already done) with a decided limit (like 10 for instance) for the remaining good quotes.

I have a somewhat different idea. We provide quotes at the start of each section (including intro), therefore in cases where the article has minor content (where the "5 or 10 quotes rule" would apply very badly), constituted only by the intro, it can only receive one quote. I further suggest one exception to my "section"-proposal by allowing the major articles also a "Quotes" section (as it's already done) with a decided limit (like 10 for instance) for the remaining good quotes.

The current layout of having "Recent Events" explain the plot in chronological order helps to avoid spoilers, but spoilers would be more prominent if quotes are placed before plot sections. I think it's better to keep the quotes together and after all story descriptions.

The current layout of having "Recent Events" explain the plot in chronological order helps to avoid spoilers, but spoilers would be more prominent if quotes are placed before plot sections. I think it's better to keep the quotes together and after all story descriptions.

So you mean after one has read all the content? Lol.

Anyway, I'm really tired of the super anti-spoiler-ish points people keep bringing in, a Wiki isn't a Guide, it's supposed to be spoiler-ish. If not, then we must divide each article's theme by book chapters in order to prevent spoilers and even then there's some. This is just plain silly.

If one dares to read through the article's body, it's not a describing quote that is going to spoiler content that the user hasn't noticed already on it (hence all the subsection "thingys", each receiving their related quote, so if you're going to read only one subsection, you only get to read a quote about it).

Archived