New GRRM Interview

Mark Antony

Thought this was a nice read, My favorite bit was

"some of the storylines from Feast for Crows. I get complaints sometimes that nothing happens — but they're defining "nothing," I think, differently than I am. I don't think it all has to battles and sword fights and assassinations. Character development and [people] changing is good, and there are some tough things in there that I think a lot of writers skip over. I'm glad I didn't skip over these things."

No. And, with Margaery — my Margaery is younger than Loras, not older than Loras. So she's really just like a sixteen year old kid. And Natalie is brilliant, but she's clearly not a sixteen year old kid. She's very smart. She's almost what my Margaery will become in ten years.

:rolleyes:

One of the big breakthroughs, I think for me, was reading Robert A. Heinlein's four rules of writing, one of which was, "You must finish what you write." I never had any problem with the first one, "You must write" — I was writing since I was a kid. But I never finished what writing. I gotta actually finish these stories. It does me no good to have this drawer full of fragments. And always be chasing the next idea, which is so much better, so much more beautiful, so much more entrancing then the idea that you're actually working on.

Well, there's the problem, now try to fix it.

"And that has been interesting, you know. Jon Snow as Lord Commander. Dany as Queen struggling with rule. So many books don't do that. There is a sense when you're writing something in high fantasy, you're in a dialogue with all the other high fantasy writers that have written. There is always this presumption that if you are a good man you will be a good king. [Like] Tolkien — in Return of the King, Aragorn comes back and becomes king, and then "he ruled wisely for three hundred years." Okay, fine. It is easy to write that sentence, “He ruled wisely”.

I found it interesting he starts talking about jon and then starts talking about what it takes to be a good king.

"And that has been interesting, you know. Jon Snow as Lord Commander. Dany as Queen struggling with rule. So many books don't do that. There is a sense when you're writing something in high fantasy, you're in a dialogue with all the other high fantasy writers that have written. There is always this presumption that if you are a good man you will be a good king. [Like] Tolkien — in Return of the King, Aragorn comes back and becomes king, and then "he ruled wisely for three hundred years." Okay, fine. It is easy to write that sentence, “He ruled wisely”.

I found it interesting he starts talking about jon and then starts talking about what it takes to be a good king.

Unfortunately he was talking about Dany... He keeps talking about her later :(

i like how he slightly implied arya was going to dodge the FM,

I always assumed she would not 100% commit to them and escape and use what they taught her to meet her own agenda instead of being this impartial judge who kills for money.

u can see this a little how she hides her sword and how she cheats warging into the cat

Bronn seems to have more coming, more to contribute to the story....definitely happy about this....would love to see him do a 'noble' act of some sort for Tyrion, in which he isn't paid, and possibly doing it out of respect or maybe even.....friendship...

"some of the storylines from Feast for Crows. I get complaints sometimes that nothing happens — but they're defining "nothing," I think, differently than I am. I don't think it all has to battles and sword fights and assassinations. Character development and [people] changing is good, and there are some tough things in there that I think a lot of writers skip over. I'm glad I didn't skip over these things."

:agree: And this is why Feast is my second favorite book.

Thought this was a nice read, My favorite bit was

I couldn't agree more. It's the fact that the world has as much detail as the real one that draws me to the series.

So basically Margery is as dumb as she sounds in the books?

Her confrontation with Cersei makes it clear that she's acting when she's being all sweet and unaware, but she's not yet the practiced manipulator of the TV show.

:agree: And this is why Feast is my second favorite book.

I thought Feast was better than ADWD, even though before reading ADWD I thought it was going to be the best book after AGOT (which is forever the best one)

The characters in Feast had more development and I don't agree that nothing happens, if anything, it is far less dragging than ADWD

And I pretty much loved all POVs

Archived