New GRRM Interview

Mark Antony

I thought Feast was better than ADWD, even though before reading ADWD I thought it was going to be the best book after AGOT (which is forever the best one)

The characters in Feast had more development and I don't agree that nothing happens, if anything, it is far less dragging than ADWD

And I pretty much loved all POVs

:agree: Dance was actually my least favorite of the book.

I really wished Martin would have given us an update on TWOW though.

Margaery will survive to be badass in ten years, good to know.

Arya is intended to be a child soldier and is indeed more dangerous than an adult, will likely not finish her apprenticeship (not that she has time for it) but was intended to soak up at least five years worth of FM skill.

The Battle of Agincourt was either 4,000 Frenchmen and 5,000 Englishmen, according to the French, or between 200,000 Frenchman and 7 Englishmen, who were all armed with fruit knives, according to the English version.
:rofl:

He's just saying that people never show people ruling, and he has both a reference to authors who only say "and he ruled wisely" and to the idea that good people make good rulers, which is not necessarily true for him, so he's just hinting that neither good or bad are usually shown, nothing to deduce from it. His bit about immigration policy was obviously about Jon and the widlings, he's talking about the gap and the ruling Jon did onstage instead of being skipped, and how that's interesting. There's not "foreshadowing" about kingship here.

Margaery ain't making it out of Winds baby!
You'll excuse me if I put more stock in a GRRM saying that the TV series shows how Margaery will be in ten years than in a guy claiming he can foresee what will be written by someone else in the future.

You'll excuse me if I put more stock in a GRRM saying that the TV series shows how Margaery will be in ten years than in a guy claiming he can foresee what will be written by someone else in the future.

Forgiven. But don't you think he's just saying it hypothetically? Like if the Margaery from my books were ten years older she would be like the Margaery of the show sorta thing.

Forgiven. But don't you think he's just saying it hypothetically? Like if the Margaery from my books were ten years older she would be like the Margaery of the show sorta thing.
He said will, not would, so no, while it being hypothetical is always a possibility, it's not worded as an hypothetical, and GRRM has never been coy about using the hypothetical form.

This was a very interesting read, thanks for sharing!

I especially liked the part about the learning process in the later books, and certain characters being in it. While it wasn't an eye-opener (duh), it's interesting to see who GRRM mentions in this regard (Learning to lead, anyone). It certainly opens up speculation.

(It also reminded me of that one South Park episode in Aspen, ridiculing the montage :rolleyes: )

edit sp

The admission of multiple names being used is a nice give away, whether to dissuade or affirm is another thing. Also the use of multiple first letters in names seems to bear weight. With the use of that and a little theoretical fun and digging you can find Gerold Dayne and most all of the main PoV's.

Interesting interview and insight into how he wrote the series.

The bit about Margaery probably the most revealing about the plot.

A few things I find odd though.

1. He talks about how Margaery is a 16 year old girl and not as intelligent as the show version, but he had a 15 year old Robb as the greatest military leader in Westeros.

2. He compares Arya to child soldiers, but child soldiers have guns. Even then they are not very good and get destroyed by properly trained men. Child soldiers are used by desperate rebels in African countries and they are never very effective.

3. Once more mentions Aragorn not being shown as a great ruler or non of his policies being discussed. We know what Aragorn's policies were. He encouraged the immigration of skilled workers into his empire, he carried out very understandably but a fault of extermination towards Orcs, he created an empire with trade between all parts but allowed each area to keep their customs.

Aragorn and Beregond compared to Robert and Jaime is a perfect example of this. Aragorn would have had a full investigation into what happened. Would probably find out the truth from a 17 year old and then publicly judge him in front of all the great lords. For his crime would dismiss him from the Kingsguard, publicly stripping him of the white coat. Instead of sending him to the Wall, he would praise his heroism, give him a proud nickname and reward him with more land somewhere.

Archived