Theory: Darkstar's father (TWoW Spoilers)

Russo

Well geographically, High Hermitage is just up the river from Starfall. It wouldn't be too hard to imagine them coming down if the Prince and Princess of Dorne were visiting.

Overall, I actually like this theory. It's one of the only Darkstar theories that seem plausible.

I think the most likely scenario is that whoever Darkstar's mother was passed him off as the child of her husband. This would technically make Darkstar a bastard, in the sense that Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella are, though its possible only she would know it. Oberyn might not know of the parentage, and I doubt her husband would either.

I think at least Oberyn knew the truth, which is why he seemed to take an interest in Darkstar.

Solid theory I think, but how does Darkstar end up at High Hermitage as part of a cadet branch of house Dayne and not just a bastard Dayne at Starfall?

As discussed a couple of pages back... Dorne does inherit through the female line and his mother could be a legit Dayne.

Solid theory I think, but how does Darkstar end up at High Hermitage as part of a cadet branch of house Dayne and not just a bastard Dayne at Starfall?

Oberyn could have cuckolded the husband of the female Dayne he slept with, and then if Darkstar was the heir of Starfall until Ned Dayne was born he could have taken the name as heir before Ned's birth.

Except he is a Dayne of High Hermitage not Starfall.

I considered that, but I don't think that invalidates the theory. For one, like Russo said, we don't know when the High Hermitage branch was born. It could even have been a way to keep a "bastard" child away from the main branch (would also serve as a reason for Darkstar's contempt ). Or it could just have been that when the Princess of Dorne and her unpromised children came to Starfall, all the Daynes gathered there to welcome them. High Hermitage isn't that far from Starfall and it's an important occasion.

Well if members of the paramount house of the land are visiting your castle, Im sure you would have all the members of your house there to welcome them, especially if they are unmarried, as was the case with Elia and Oberyn. Even cadet branches.

Well, there ya go.

I remember a discussion a while back where it was discussed whether Oberyn only had daughters and no sons, and if he did them he probably only picked the girls and if he had any boys he'd leave them where they are.

I guess it's possible.

Seems like a sound theory. Darkstar's personality sure fits being the Red Viper's son and the timeline seems sound also. To my mind have always wondered about his name Gerold/ Gerold Hightower, is there a connection to the Sword of the Morning? His viper personality tips the scales toward Oberyn.

I am totally in love with this theory. The idea had crossed my mind before, as well as the idea that Darkstar might have squired for Oberyn before, but I couldn't find nearly enough to support it, so I dropped it. Either way, for Oberyn to remark that Darkstar is poison, and considered killing him, it shows he knows of Darkstar well. Very well, for what is a member of a cadet house.

You see plenty of examples like that. Jonos Bracken was famous for only having daughters, despite constant attempts. Damn Bene Gesserit lol!

I also find it difficult that Arianne wouldn't have thought of it, especially in the spoiler chapter talking with Daemon Sand, who is obviously bastard born.

It could be possible, but there really isn't any textual evidence for it. Plus GRRM did a great job of sowing Red Viper hints all over the place. See: Tywin's poisoning.....

In regards to it not being mentioned, I agree to a point.

But there are plenty of examples of POV characters not mentioning information about characters that they should know and should come up. Neither Ned or Cat mention Littlefingers heritage in Bravos (stand to be corrected) in their thoughts. Ned never thinks to himself about Jon's mother. Im sure there are other examples.

The 'convenient forgetting' of information is used many times by Martin.

Nice one, i must say i also found it a bit spooky that Arianne was thinking about how she used to fancy her sexy uncle Oberyn and them admiring Darkstar in the same chapter... And i've also found it very convenient that all of Oberyn's acknowledged children were/are daughters. What happened to his sons? Is the Craster of the south or something? I hope not.

I must say i though i'd narrowed down Darkstar's father to one out of Oberyn Martell, Lewyn Martell or Arthur Dayne, but i was favouring Ser Arthur because of the surname and the fact that he seems to have been named after Ser Arthur's brother-in-arms Gerold Hightower , i also thought Darkstar would have to have a Targaryen parent.

Awesome theory! I like it. :cheers: It never crossed my mind but now that I read the OP (and the comments of the thread), it sounds perfect. It's the piece of the puzzle that was missing. The theory explains perfectly why Doran and Oberyn are truly concerned about him, the way that it seems Arianne is playing with wildfire, and Darkstar's bitter acid attitude. Especially if Oberyn openly recognized all the girls as his daughters but left him behind, that would hurt his heart's feelings not only his political interests (another echo of Tyrion). It's great to think that Darkstar shares Doran and Arianne heart's desire, after all.

Congratulations OP for actually giving us something to work with (Which is what we needed for a while now). Im not sure if I want this to be true, but if it was I want Doran to know about it as well.

Nice one, i must say i also found it a bit spooky that Arianne was thinking about how she used to fancy her sexy uncle Oberyn and them admiring Darkstar in the same chapter...

Don't forget sharing Ser Daemon Sand :P

In Arianne's defence, I think her desire for her uncle had more to do with "daddy issues". She had already seen Doran's letter to Quentyn at that time and thought her father was disappointed with her because she was a girl and even intended to give the rule of Dorne to his firstborn male. Something she grew up believing. Seeing the way Oberyn cared for his daughters possibly made her feel somewhat envious and wanting and those feelings translated into sexual cravings at an age where she was awakening to such feelings. Sorry for the OT. And the Freudian stuff.

I thought I'd found evidence for this theory, but realised Darkstar's age doesn't line up with this idea, but I noticed that Ashara danced with Oberyn and the Tourney of Harrenhal:

The crannogman saw a maid with laughing purple eyes dance with a white sword, a red snake, and the lord of griffins, and lastly with the quiet wolf.

Perhaps Ashara had a dirty little secret fling with Oberyn spanning a decade, fathering a bastard on his stopover through Starfall as mentioned in OP and then fathering a stillborn after this tourney? She kills herself from the loss of the child and also the dishonor?

I thought I'd found evidence for this theory, but realised Darkstar's age doesn't line up with this idea, but I noticed that Ashara danced with Oberyn and the Tourney of Harrenhal:

Perhaps Ashara had a dirty little secret fling with Oberyn spanning a decade, fathering a bastard on his stopover through Starfall as mentioned in OP and then fathering a stillborn after this tourney? She kills herself from the loss of the child and also the dishonor?

I got the impression that Ashara wouldnt have been any older than 18-19 when she died

I also cant see where you are getting Ashara dancing with Oberyn from, his sigil is the sun/spear, not a red snake

Archived