No POV for Stannis?

Part of what makes Stannis intriguing is the fact that he doesn't have a POV.

I think this is the reason, more than anything.

Incorrect. False kings don't get a POV. Daenerys has a POV. And Jon has a POV.

Cersei is not a hereditary claimant to the Throne. Of the contenders to the Throne, only Jon and Daenerys have POV's.

Jon doesn't even know that he is technically the Targaryen heir, so I'd say it's perhaps a stretch to call him a contender; especially as I doubt he'll be interested in the throne even if he does learn about his parentage.

Part of what makes Stannis intriguing is the fact that he doesn't have a POV.

this. without a stannis pov, we will always wonder about his motivation and true feelings which is exactly what grrm wants. it's the same reason we don't have a littlefinger or varys pov. grrm wants the mystery to remain.

I think that he's not a POV mainly because of the part he's going to play in the series, I think that he's going to be the Night's King and will be stopped by Dany. (Stanstans please don't get mad).

I won't, but i still think it's a preposterous theory. Stannis would have to defeat the Freys and Bolton, then go back to the Wall for some contrived reason, and then somehow enter an alliance with the Others.

I think that he's not a POV mainly because of the part he's going to play in the series, I think that he's going to be the Night's King and will be stopped by Dany. (Stanstans please don't get mad).

this. or he will become the next lord commander of the watch, or what's left of it, something stannis would be a natural at.

I have to be honest, I really hate this idea. Not so much because it's Stannis, but because an explicit second Night's King would be a rather cheap repetition of history, IMO. Sure, he could have an ending that has echoes of the Night's King, but it would be disappointingly blunt if he just became Night's King 2.0, I'd say.

this. or he will become the next lord commander of the watch, or what's left of it, something stannis would be a natural at.

Yeah, sadly, I really think this is the position Stannis was born for. I think he'd be happier there than as king, as well. I hope that is his ending, though I wouldn't bet on it.

Stannis pointed north. "There is where I'll find the foe that I was born to fight."

I have to be honest, I really hate this idea. Not so much because it's Stannis, but because an explicit second Night's King would be a rather cheap repetition of history, IMO. Sure, he could have an ending that has echoes of the Night's King, but it would be disappointingly blunt if he just became Night's King 2.0, I'd say.

I didn't believe it either, but when I read this, I became more or less convinced.

I have to be honest, I really hate this idea. Not so much because it's Stannis, but because an explicit second Night's King would be a rather cheap repetition of history.

i do think there will be a difference since stannis is aligned with fire not ice. also, grrm seems to love parallels and repetitions.

I didn't believe it either, but when I read this, I became more or less convinced.

I've read that, and I always thought it has some merit, but Stannis character has developed since the showdown with Renly, and he regrets what happened to Renly. I really struggle to see Stannis joining the Others because it goes against so much of his character. The idea that Stannis covets the throne above all else is a misreading of his character, i would argue. Stannis wants the throne because he wants respect, (and yes, I would argue, the love that his brothers had that he never received.)

More than anything though, I dislike the notion because Stannis is one of the most painfully human characters, he's well intentioned and wants to do the right thing, but he's by no means selfless, he is deeply flawed, and yes, damaged as a person. I think it would be a weak ending for such a human character to end up leading a magical army of the undead. I don't think it fits with his character or narrative arc.

Its better without. Having a POV for Melisandre, for example, ruined a lot of the mystery & intrigue surrounding her character, and knowing the thoughts of someone like Roose or Stannis would ruin their character for me.

Also, Jon is not a king or claimant.

Archived