I'll take my posts spoiler-free please.
So I'm finally getting around to reading The First Law series... let's not get into the reasons of why it has taken me so damn long, but I'm finally there.
I wanted a thread to discuss the series as I go without subjecting myself to spoilers, and couldn't find any such thread already in existence (at least in the past few years), so I started this one.
Where I'm at: Jezel just met Major West's sister, Ardie (partdon my certain misspelling, I did this chapter on audio this morning stuck in traffic).
Thoughts thus far:
- I became interested in this series (in a 'I want to know what happens next' kind of way) much earlier than I expected. Usually book 1's take at least a few hundred pages (or a book or two, looking at you Tad Williams) before I become interested and thirst for more. tBI took me until the end of Glokta's first chapter. Leading to...
- Really like the pacing, which seems bloat- and needless-expositoin-free thus far.
- I wish there was a damned map, so I could know where mentioned places are in relation to one another. This is probably by author's intent to avoid travel-time inconsistencies or some such damnable thing, but I figure eventually I'll figure out the geography in a general sense.
- So far it seems Logen is in the north; Jezel, Glotka, and co. are in the same (capitol?) city, which is not in the north or east (iirc), which means west or south? Could be way off on that though. Something about a circle of the world.
- Fight scenes. Are handled fairly well, but the "oomph!"s and "Aarghhh!"s seemed awkward at first, and always remind me of POW! CRASH! BANG! starbursts from comic books. But I think that's by intent (Is our good friend Joe a comic book fan?), and I actually came to like it after the initial adjustment. (People do make these guttoral noises in real life, after all).
- Logen: seems like your typical Fighter/Barbarian class RPG character thus far. I don't mean that as a complaint... it's just that thus far he seems to be what one would expect from such a character. Although he has introduced me to the first instances of magic in the world (and mention of the Magi, apparantly the wizards-resident)
- The fire spirit thing: carrying the spirit of fire under your tongue seems like a very useful tool when one needs to survive in the great wild with a cookpot as your only companion. As well as when you need to roast an enemy on demand.
- Jezel is obviously ill-equipped to deal with Ardie. I snickered a lot through this chapter where they first meet. Reminds me a lot of when I first met my wife. This girl has trouble written all over her. Run away man! (although, it's probably too late, I'd place a solid bet she had him at hello .
That's it for now. Feel free to post as I go along (or not, I'm not sure how interesting or original my thoughts on the series will be as I go along, as most of you read this long ago)
Plus I wanted to see if I could
ETA: Forgot to mention Glokta. Definitely a man after my own heart and my favorite character thus far. I just really dig this guy, and presently getting to his next chapters keeps me page-turning. And the fact that he keeps showing up in Jezel's POVs is a great bonus as I read.
ETA2: CHanged thread title to indicate I'm posting spoilers as I go. I'm trying to put everything in spoiler tags, but might miss some minor things.
Edited by Ded As Ned, 28 September 2013 - 03:17 PM.