Tyrion's prowess in battle is one of the more ridiculous things in all of ASOIAF

StannisBamfatheon

I know this is a pretty cut and dry post but i just got done with ACOK again and forgot how ridiculous those passages were. It's like Gary Coleman leading the allies through D-day or something.

I can't post the "dis gon b gud" gif fast enough right now.

STAHP! Yer making me choke on my ice water! :lmao:

How did Tyrion stand all the armor if he hadnt received much in the way of battle training? A normal person cant handle having too much armor on if they never trained before. Let alone a dwarf. Tyrion would have realistically, toppled over.

Yeah, it seems to me like GRRM underestimated the limitations of dwarfs in the early part of the series. There's one thing the show does better than the books.

Agreed--the show cut the bit with the tumbling and seemed to point out a few times that he had no business being anywhere near an actual battle--although he still managed to pull off some improbable feats (mostly not getting killed immediately). TV Tyrion (4'5") is a good deal taller than Book Tyrion (4' max, probably less), though, and TV Tyrion can walk without waddling. Actually, it seems kind of ridiculous that Book Tyrion pulls off his feats in battle/tumbling while being even more limited than TV Tyrion.

Yes it was pretty bad, though Martin tried to justify it by saying Tyrion had training at the Rock. Still this was no worse than Bran or Arya. We're supposed to believe that a 7 year old boy can out climb grown guards at Winterfell. Arya's chapters in Clash read like the normal things children imagine they can do, but it's actually true in her case. Very, very unbelievable.

In the heat of battle who knows what you can do. The adrenaline starts pumping, flight or fight, life and death, and suddenly a superman is born.

lol, it doesn't work like that. Not in real life anyway. Strength, speed, skill, etc. all play a factor in a fight. There is no such thing as "adrenaline pumping you up and making you a superhero" So sitting around not doing anything all day then getting into a fight with a guy that lifts 4 days a week is going to end badly for the guy that just sits around. Him counting on "adrenaline" so save his ass from a beating is sadly, not going to happen.

lol, it doesn't work like that. Not in real life anyway. Strength, speed, skill, etc. all play a factor in a fight. There is no such thing as "adrenaline pumping you up and making you a superhero" So sitting around not doing anything all day then getting into a fight with a guy that lifts 4 days a week is going to end badly for the guy that just sits around. Him counting on "adrenaline" so save his ass from a beating is sadly, not going to happen.

Yeah just cause he had adrenline doesnt mean Tyrion suddenly evolved like a pokemon into Kevin Sorbo. Realistically he would have been a giant metal pinball on the decks of those heaving ships.

Seriously it requires a bigger suspension of disbelief then the dragons or the Others. It started out innocently enough with him defeating one of the mountain clansmen in AGOT, okay whatever he got lucky. Then the Green fork happens and I'm starting to feel like this is a little silly what with his arm shattered by a mace yet hes still fighting. But now I'm rereading ACOK and his sortie against the gates is just borderline absurd. Here's a character about 4 feet tall, who has trouble walking, with no battle experience and hardly any training, yet he's mowing down soldiers like it's fucking dynasty warriors. I just....where did this come? Is Tyrion just such an important character that he needed to live through this battle no matter what? If so he just should have commanded from the rear. I just can't take these passages very seriously.

The same as Stannis is so prevalent he win's every battle he is in or as forum poster's like to give him the same rights of victory? Or the same as in his victories are so absurd you can call bullshit thousand of times? If you doubt this character then doubt your own favorite. The man defeated 30-20k thousand men with 1k. Call it what you will but some things are fantasy.

Just thought I'd point this out: as someone with weak legs, riding horses is hard even with support saddles. Maneouvering a battlefield, with heavy armour, a sword/mornigstar with poor visibility is a feat for someone who gets cramps after climbing stairs.

The same as Stannis is so prevalent he win's every battle he is in? Or the same as in his victories are so absurd you can call bullshit thousand of times? If you doubt this character then doubt your own favorite. The man defeated 30-20k thousand men with 1k. Call it what you will but some things are fantasy.

Dat Straw-man argument

Just thought I'd point this out: as someone with weak legs, riding horses is hard even with support saddles. Maneouvering a battlefield, with heavy armour, a sword/mornigstar with poor visibility is a feat for someone who gets cramps after climbing stairs.

Very good point WK, I'm not trying to be hard-headed or anything but I just don't know where GRRM was coming from with all this. I know Tyrion is his favorite character and all but to turn him into a war hero got a little silly.

Did killing all those people at the Blackwater really require enough battle "prowess" to be impossible for a dwarf who's strong enough to do tumbling? I mean those poor guys were staggering up on land out of a pool of fire and I think few of them had horses. When Tyrion over-confidently tried to fight the mounted knights on the barges he had a problem, even before the assassination attempt, and he nearly died.

It doesn't seem more impossible to me than anything ELSE that goes on in Westeros :dunno:

Also, if I saw myself being attacked on a battlefield by someone the size of a child, it would definitely slow me down as I stood there going :shocked:

I completely agree, I found it really hard to read Tyrion killing mutiple men in battle. I mean the whole thing about Tyrion is that he overcomes his disabilites with his mind. I mean mulitple times he says about his difficulties walking and riding about now he's rambo? Also midgets in real life have regular torsos but short arms and legs. I just don't see him being able to swing an axe with any force that could make him a threat to a trianed solidier.

Archived