1) they've actually shown the ability to play the game

2) they don't have a sexist, rape glorifying culture

3) they're not a bunch of rowdy pirates who can't sustain a castle

4) Dorne's never been conquered

5) minus Asha all the Greyjoys are painfully dumb

6) Dorne empowers women

7) Oberyn looked after his bastards, even though they were girls

8) the Martells have actual family bonds

9) Doran knows they can't fight off the Lannisters so he waits. Euron and Balon on the other hand think they can invade richer and stronger regions

10) people actually take the Martells seriously

Everything here.That and spicy food.

Using a points system of giving the winner 11 points, and one point less for each position below that (so 2nd gets 10 points, 3rd gets 9 points all the way down to 11th gets 1 point), it comes out as:

Okay, so re-evaluating mine with the Corvo Attano system, the result would be:

1 . Asha Greyjoy 11

2 . Theon Greyjoy 10

3 . Victarion Greyjoy 9

4 . Quentyn Martell 8

5 . The Sand Snakes (collectively scoring better thanks to Tyene and Sarella) 7

6 . Oberyn Martell 6

7 . Euron Greyjoy 5

8 . Doran Martell 4

9 . Arianne Martell 3

10 . Aeron Greyjoy 2

11 . Balon Greyjoy 1

House Greyjoy = 38 pts.

House Martell = 28 pts.

I am quite surprised the Greyjoys win by such a wide margin. In my mind, the comparison is a close call.

• 3 weeks later...

Greyjoys are boring and Martells are weird especially Arianne, thinking of having sex with every guy she sees.

See if Arianne had been a man then I doubt people would care. But really I love the Martells, I think they are interesting, and the other regions have a lot of racist comments about them, because of their Rhoynar influenced lifestyle, yet they don't give two shits. The weirdest part is that I actually love Arianne Martell as a character, though most people don't care for her at all. When it come to the Greyjoys, well.... I love, but the other krakens annoy me to death. I choose the Martells.

Martells.

Euron is the only truly engaging Ironborn but he's a pirate not a Viking. The rest of the non-pirate, non-vikings are meh. Damphair drinks salt water and hopes he's hearing his god. Balon was an idiot. Victarion is an idiot but things get interesting at the end of ADwD. Theon is a broken hulk of a man. Asha had the potential to be a good queen but now who knows.

Oberyn had the epic fight with the Mountain and I love the theory that he poisoned Tywin. Who knows how far Doran's network of spies goes. The Sand Snakes are great, except Obara. Arianne becoming Doran+Oberyn 2.0 will be great. The women are lewd, the food is hot, and the men have mastered desert-guerrilla warfare.

I guess it depends...

Who do I like better? The Martells. Even as a man, I find their culture rather refreshing in an otherwise minsogynst world. Oberyn and the sand snakes are bad ass, and Doran plays the game with the greatest weapon there is: subtlety. (Even if it has been unsuccessful up to this point...) Quentyn's failure will probably be a foil for Arianne's future success IMO.

Whose storyline has been more interesting thus far? The Greyjoys. There is nothing I look forward to more than Victarion interactions in Essos. Euron is easily my favorite villain in the series. Not to mention, Theon and Asha are right in the middle of the great battle in the snow. Aeron bores me but I believe he will become more important in TWoW. Balon was a jackass and I'm glad he's dead.

I find it hard to say why, but I think Doran might just be one of my three favourite characters in all five books. Never pitied and admired a character so much at the same time. In some way, he is Walder Frey with a brain and a moral code, with the same desire (and much better reasons) for vengeance but no lust for carnage. What many people admire in Stannis, I admire in Doran, I think. He's focused, unswerving - plus far less dull.

Gotta admit though, I've got a thing for Asha as well (and liked how she was portrayed in the series).

I find it hard to say why, but I think Doran might just be one of my three favourite characters in all five books. Never pitied and admired a character so much at the same time. In some way, he is Walder Frey with a brain and a moral code, with the same desire (and much better reasons) for vengeance but no lust for carnage. What many people admire in Stannis, I admire in Doran, I think. He's focused, unswerving - plus far less dull.

Gotta admit though, I've got a thing for Asha as well (and liked how she was portrayed in the series).

This. :agree:

Archived