A Game of Screentime

StannisEndGame

I'll bring this up again.

Long time ago someone posted that HBO said season 3 would extend each episode by , say, 5 min., or more , or something like that....that it would be the longest season....by about an hour , in total.

Then it turned out that when someone measured it , it was indeed longer than season 2, but not longer than season 1 !

Anyone find out what happened.

I still don't understand why HBO which shows of movies of variable length sticks GOT with , well almost hard and fast approximate 60 min. episodes?....

(I think that's the template of other HBO shows too, why?)

I don't know about the , what is about 10 min. or less, D&D 'essay' stuff at the ends of many episodes.

(Which are only premimum channel goodies?)

I would rather have that as dramatic narrative time.

• 3 months later...

That's great, thank you.

Really annoying how little screentime Roose had so far. I know they made a deliberate effort to maintain him relatively inconspicuous but that could be done without making him practically nonexistent for casual viewers. Some of them actually thought Stannis murdered Robb, which is a testimony of how unfair D&D are being toward both Stannis and Roose.

That's great, thank you.

Really annoying how little screentime Roose had so far. I know they made a deliberate effort to maintain him relatively inconspicuous but that could be done without making him practically nonexistent for casual viewers. Some of them actually thought Stannis murdered Robb, which is a testimony of how unfair D&D are being toward both Stannis and Roose.

Oh my god. THIS.

I had to tell my few mates that it was not Stannis that murdered Robb. Gods that was hilarious.

That's great, thank you.

I'd wager the majority of readers have no clue as to who killed Robb. It was just some guy in pink cloak!

I'd wager the majority of readers have no clue as to who killed Robb. It was just some guy in pink cloak!

One friend of mine was reading ADWD and commented that he was thinking that the RW was a Bolton and Frey campaign. I asked him sarcastically: "Do you think?" He didn't pick the sarcasm and confirmed that was his suspicion.

But I love the subtlety of Roose's arc in ASOS. GRRM wrote it beautifully. We can only appreciate the full extent of Roose's diabolical cleverness during re-reads.

His storyline was the best in season 2 sooo...

True.

Theon being the second most prominent character in Season 2 is baffling...

Not that I'm complaining, he's my favourite character and Alfie did a terrific job, but damn...

Well according to this Theon was the forth most mentioned character in ACOK, so I don't think it's that surprising. His amount of screentime in season 3 on the other hand...

I still have hurt feelings over Catelyn's treatment the last two seasons, especially Season 3 and these number just confirm. I'm glad she was a part of such of a memorable scene though and literally and figuratively killed it. That scream still sends chills up my spine.

I couldn't agree more with you! That's exactly how I feel. :(

Honestly, I don't like the changes they make in the show and complain about it quite a bit, but if I'm going to be fair, the top people in each season are pretty in line with each corresponding book that the season deals with. So, I guess I can't complain to much.

Although Theon is to much in season 3, but I guess I kind of understand it. He disappears and I don't think they want to go a whole season without Alfie Allen being on. But still, to much airtime.

• 3 months later...

Is there an exhaustive list anywhere of, say, episodes in which each actor appears for at least 10 minutes?

Presumably that's most Ned episodes, a decent number of Tyrion episodes...for my favorite Sansa, definitely Blackwater, presumably Second Sons, likely The Lion and the Rose even if chunks are just being in the background watching the wedding?

Taking from teemo's threads for 2.5-10: Ghost of Harrenhal Dany 11, Arya 10

Old Gods and the New Jon 12, Theon 10

A Man without Honor Jaime 11

Prince of Winterfell Tyrion 15, Robb 12

Blackwater Sandor 18, Tyrion 17, Cersei 17, Sansa 16

Valar Morghulis Dany 13

• 2 weeks later...

Ros has overall screen time than Loras, the Blackfish, Roose, and Ramsay. That is fucking unacceptable.

And the fact that Catelyn went from fifth place in season 1 to eighteenth in season 3 angers me.

It's great to see where the writers' priorities are, because Ros is a far better character than Catelyn, obviously.

Ros has overall screen time than Loras, the Blackfish, Roose, and Ramsay. That is fucking unacceptable.

And the fact that Catelyn went from fifth place in season 1 to eighteenth in season 3 angers me.

It's great to see where the writers' priorities are, because Ros is a far better character than Catelyn, obviously.

Ros was good for exposition. In most of her scenes, she was a background character listening to others speak. Catelyn, Ramsay and Roose, on the other hand, dominate most conversations they are in. Also, Catelyn had considerably more screentime than Ros in season 3.

Ros was good for exposition. In most of her scenes, she was a background character listening to others speak. Catelyn, Ramsay and Roose, on the other hand, dominate most conversations they are in. Also, Catelyn had considerably more screentime than Ros in season 3.

Regardless, Catelyn and Roose did not get nearly enough screen time, and Ros got far too much. I just think it would've been better if she didn't exist. There are plenty of great characters in the books, but the producers instead choose to create all of their own original, mediocre characters, which pisses me off. Locke was the only TV-only character I didn't mind.

Regardless, Catelyn and Roose did not get nearly enough screen time, and Ros got far too much. I just think it would've been better if she didn't exist. There are plenty of great characters in the books, but the producers instead choose to create all of their own original, mediocre characters, which pisses me off. Locke was the only TV-only character I didn't mind.

Ros was an amalgamation of several characters from the books, it's not like they left out a major book character just to create her. The same goes with Locke, it's not really accurate to say he was a TV only character, as he filled the role of a few different book characters. In both cases, it's just smart TV adaptation. In Ros' case, while she may not have contributed all that much to the show, she did provide us the chance to hear the inner working mind of major characters like Littlefinger, Varys, Sansa, Theon. So I don't think her screen time was wasted.

Ros was an amalgamation of several characters from the books, it's not like they left out a major book character just to create her. The same goes with Locke, it's not really accurate to say he was a TV only character, as he filled the role of a few different book characters. In both cases, it's just smart TV adaptation. In Ros' case, while she may not have contributed all that much to the show, she did provide us the chance to hear the inner working mind of major characters like Littlefinger, Varys, Sansa, Theon. So I don't think her screen time was wasted.

I have to disagree. Her character was very unrealistic. Prostitutes in Westeros do not move up as high as she did in the social ladder. And why would Littlefinger EVER work with her, or share that much information with her, if he's supposed to be clever? (Show Littlefinger is far from clever, as the brilliant writers have proved repeatedly.) Not to mention, Varys has to be told by Ros that Littlefinger carried two feather beds on his ship to the Vale and that he would take Sansa with him, because some random whore is obviously more intelligent than the Master of whispers. And obviously no one else would notice this except for the wonderful Ros.

Another thing that amused me is how Ros is sometimes the only whore in all of Westeros. Overall, Ros brought nothing to the series, and is another one of D&D's pointless additions.

And how did Ros ever provide the chance to hear the 'inner working mind' of Sansa?

Archived