Notable Releases
From the Store
A Dance with Dragons
A Dance with Dragons
Amazon.com Kindle
Featured Sites
License Holders

Photo

Going through Friday Night Lights for the first time (anyone wanna join?)

35 replies to this topic

#1 TheArrynsKnight

TheArrynsKnight

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

So, I was thinking of doing a similar thread to ones I've seen before. I was wondering if anyone wanna join me in going through this series, that I've heard a lot good things about, and from what I've seen from the first three episodes, looks really promising.

So, to avoid spoilers it is pretty given that we don't give spoilers up to a certain given point that is said. If this thread is on episode 5 we don't put out spoilers from episode 6, but that should be pretty obvious.

I was looking around and I didn't see any previous thread about this show, so why not start one. But as I said, this is not to discuss any other seasons or episodes besides the ones that has been set in the schedule (if there is interest there may be reason to make some kind of schedule).

Anyway, I'll come back here to give my thoughts from time to time, and if there is anyone who wanna do a rewatch or watch the show for the first time with me, you're very welcome to join in. The reason for this is that I always feel an urge to discuss everything I watch and I think most people on this forum do, and going into a series with 76 episodes, there should be plenty of discussion material.

Anyway, you probably get the concept, it's not that complicated, but I tend too not be able to explain things that good. So, discuss the episodes that are said to be okay to talk about, agree or disagree with opinions etc. If there is interest I can wait in the person who want to join, I've only seen 3 eps this far, to soft start it.

Thoughts about s01e01-03: It started good with e1. Then it got better with e2. Then it got really amazing and emotional with e3. As often have been said, it is pretty clear from the start that this is a show with a lot of heart. It has a genuine feel to it that is hard to pinpoint exactly to why it is so. It just feels real. I'm already pretty invested in the cahracters, there is a big ensemble cast and some doesn't get much screen time every episode. Coach Taylor is of course the heart of the show. An assistant coach for 5 or 6 years who now has stepped up to be main coach, and the whole town will cheer him on if he win and be out for his blood if he loses. He's instantly likeable and you can also feel the pressure he's under. I already think he's mentioned that there are more important things than football to that talent scout. Nice touch.

Anyway, the rest of the cast is great too. His wife Tami, daughter Julie, the loudmouth Smash, rogue Tim Riggins, the former star and now paralyzed Jason and his affectionate girlfriend Lyla, the loner Matt Saracen who has to step into the place of QB1. It all fits together well too, and I've already been getting some water in my eyes during the third episode.

I think they capture the lives very well. It feels real when Julie is sarcastic when Coach Taylor is angry after a hectic day. It feels real when Tim Riggins doesn't give a shit about anythin, and it feels real when Lyla kisses Jason. A lot of emotion in the show, that's clear from the get-go.

The show is looking really good so far, and if this season keeps it up, it might be one of the best seasons of a tv show I've seen. And it's not regular high school drama, it's done so much better, and much more well written. Coach Taylor's speeches are in a class of their own, with him giving a really good speech like twice every episode.

And to end this, I don't know anything about american football, and I don't really like it either, I don't understand much of the tactics or the talk about plays, but it doesn't matter. This show is about the characters and their lives, it's not really a show about football.

Anyway, I'll give some more thoughts after episode 6 and holler here if you wanna join or discuss or something.

#2 Brady

Brady

hella cromwell side-eye

• Members
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I don't have my DVDs handy right now, but you're in for a treat! One of my favourite shows.

#3 rystine

rystine

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

I have watched, and greatly enjoyed, the show while it was airing.

But I don't have the DVD's available to me at the time, so I can't do a rewatch with you.

But I will say that the first season of FNL is, IMHO, one of the best single seasons of television that has ever been made. You are in for a treat!

#4 Mike

Mike

Council Member

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

Enjoy! Best series a network has put out in a long time.

#5 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

Boomer Sooner

• Members
  • 6,389 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

I just finished a rewatch this year, but this is one of my favorite shows now. I just found it a year ago and have watched it twice now.

#6 TheArrynsKnight

TheArrynsKnight

Council Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

Yeah, the first three episodes have been really good.

But I've heard it declines in quality though. But if it's an amazing first season, it's an amazing first season and nothing can take that away, even if the quality drops.

My favorite characters thus far is the obvious Coach Taylor and also Roggins. I've always had a soft spot for the roguish outcast doibg bad things even though he/she really is a good person.

And damn, Minka Kelly and Aimee Teegarden are both very beautiful.

#7 MinDonner

MinDonner

Social Justice Space Warlord

• Members
  • 14,101 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

I'm also watching this for the first time at about 2 eps a week, got as far as ep 12 so far. And yeah, really enjoying it - though my friends and I pretty much HATE the entire town of Dillon with very few exceptions, it's quite fun to see the show slowly convincing us that even the apparently total arseholes might actually not be that bad deep down after all. Really good character development. I'll definitely be reading along with this thread.

#8 Alex.

Alex.

We Go Again

• Members
  • 6,337 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:34 AM

Second only to The Sopranos. Such a great programme. Really puts the old emotions through the wringer though...

#9 TheArrynsKnight

TheArrynsKnight

Council Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:54 AM

Second only to The Sopranos. Such a great programme. Really puts the old emotions through the wringer though...

Second only to The Sopranos. That's a bold statement, my man. But I hear you, it has started out really good.

#10 Howdyphillip

Howdyphillip

Boomer Sooner

• Members
  • 6,389 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

But I've heard it declines in quality though. But if it's an amazing first season, it's an amazing first season and nothing can take that away, even if the quality drops.

My favorite characters thus far is the obvious Coach Taylor and also Roggins. I've always had a soft spot for the roguish outcast doibg bad things even though he/she really is a good person.

The quality never drops in season one. There is some slight plot hickups in season 2, but even those were used to tell one of the greatest stories ever told on network television. The show is amazing.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Loose !!!

Texas Forever !!!!

#11 Alex.

Alex.

We Go Again

• Members
  • 6,337 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:59 AM

Second only to The Sopranos. That's a bold statement, my man. But I hear you, it has started out really good.

I thought long and hard before typing that, but I stand by it.

#12 MisterOJ

MisterOJ

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Loose !!!

That's TIGHT. /lol.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

#13 Mike

Mike

Council Member

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

This show is populated with wonderful characters. Matt Saracen, Landry, Rig, Smash, Street, Tyra, Grandma Saracen, Buddy, Vince Howard, and many others, but the real heart of the show is the relationship between Coach Taylor and Tami.

#14 Ferrum Aeternum

Ferrum Aeternum

Council Member

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I bought the DVDs for cheap on Amazon about a month ago and still haven't gotten around to watching them. I'll try to start this week.

#15 Tormund Ukrainesbane

Tormund Ukrainesbane

Steely eyed and resolute

• Members
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

I'm also watching this for the first time at about 2 eps a week, got as far as ep 12 so far. And yeah, really enjoying it - though my friends and I pretty much HATE the entire town of Dillon with very few exceptions, it's quite fun to see the show slowly convincing us that even the apparently total arseholes might actually not be that bad deep down after all. Really good character development. I'll definitely be reading along with this thread.

As someone who went to high school in the Oregon equivalent to Dillon (complete with state championship football team) - everyone there hates it too.

#16 Iskaral Pust

Iskaral Pust

avout

• Members
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

No time for a re-watch at the moment. We only watched it for the first time last year (streaming on Netflix). Great show. Managed to preserve the quality quite well and ended at the right time. I should set my calendar to do a rewatch two years from now.

#17 rystine

rystine

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

The first season is, like i said, simply great television.

The second season started out great but was cut short by the screen writers strike that happened a few years ago. So the last few episodes feel kind of rushed, and the third season seems to spend a lot of time trying to "catch up" so to speak.

The the fourth and fifth seasons really come back strongly IMHO.

#18 A Man has Patrol Duty

A Man has Patrol Duty

Sellsword

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Texas Forever. I wish I could watch the first season again for the first time because man, every episode is great. There is a bit of a lull in the late second-early third seasons due to the writer's strike mentioned above, but they come back to finish strong in the final two seasons.

#19 TheArrynsKnight

TheArrynsKnight

Council Member

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

By the way, a side effect from watching this show seeem to be that I walk around and say "Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose" to myself every five minutes. I can't get that sentence out of my head now.

#20 Relic

Relic

White Knight of High House Social Justice

• Members
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

There are at least two major story lines in S2 that are, by far, the worst in the show. Meddling by network execs led to some seriously stupid OMG DRAMA moments in the second season that the show thankfully shed after the writer's strike.

This article is pretty on point re: s2 - http://www.televisio...conversion.html

Reply to this topic