College Football 2013: The Season Begins, Let the Tears Begin to Fall!

Ded As Ned

Just watched Muschamp's press conference, which was fairly telling for where we're at as a football team these days. While obviously frustrated with the offensive turnovers in general, and the red-zone turnovers in particular, seemed like he spent much more time bitching about the 1st quarter defense. And while those first couple drives were no doubt terrible, the defense 180'd it and basically shut down Miami (and especially a damn-good back in Duke Johnson) for the remaining 3 quarters. But he seems way more upset with the defense, and almost seemed to be putting the loss on them. Kept saying we gave Miami early momentum and a belief they could win the game. Well, maybe I guess, but shit after those first two drives Miami didn't do squat for the rest of the game. Surely that's a defense giving their offense plenty of time to score a couple touchdowns???

Muschamp is a defensive guy 100%. And I love that, since I love great defense and he's given us one. But as a head coach, you need to be sure the offense is taken care of too, and we clearly have some scheme and execution issues on that side of the ball. It's fine to say you're upset we turned the ball over, but to then try and bring the conversation back around to being pissed at your defense, which obviously did way more than should have been needed to get a win today, seems to show a coach with blinders on.

I don't know, maybe I'm just in the midst of loss-rage, but that seemed a weird way to tackle the post game....

No, as a neutral observer of that game I totally agree with you. Really couldn't have asked much more from Florida's defense. I was actually fairly sure that it was only a matter of time before Florida was going to score and win the game because Miami could do NOTHING on offense for most of the game. Unfortunately for Florida, neither could they. A little more firepower on O and UF wins that game easily, I definitely think its unfair to pin that loss on the defense.

Cal down 20-10 against Portland State. :dunno:

Portland State has 311 yards of offense...with 13+ minutes left in the second quarter.

Don't they have tOSU next weekend? This is the classic Let-Down-Look-Ahead Sandwich game (a Solid Verbal invention). I hope they get their shit together.

No, as a neutral observer of that game I totally agree with you. Really couldn't have asked much more from Florida's defense. I was actually fairly sure that it was only a matter of time before Florida was going to score and win the game because Miami could do NOTHING on offense for most of the game. Unfortunately for Florida, neither could they. A little more firepower on O and UF wins that game easily, I definitely think its unfair to pin that loss on the defense.

Yeah, this was 100% the feeling I was having while watching as well.

Do the fans get all riled up for the UVA/VT game? When you say "rivalry game" do you mean in ACC scheduling (as in, they play every year H/H)? Mostly I'm just curious and a little confused, since WVU is in the Big XII?

Have VT / WVU played each other traditionally? I could see that being a good competitive rivalry, as you say, but seems like both VT and UVA would still need an annual in-conference rivalry game (now that most conferences are too big to do a round robin), and geographically against each other seems to make sense.

What SJohn said, plus the VT/WVU rivalry pretty much ended as a regular thing after they were no longer in the same conference. The atmosphere of the two rivalries was completely different and unfortunately, VT no longer has an antagonistic rivalry that anyone spends the season anticipating (some people feel that Ga Tech is a mini-rivalry, but the nature of GT's offense makes it that they'll never be a team that other teams spend more than a week preparing for). Having an opponent that you hate makes the team better, I think, because you have something mid-season that you really have to be on top of your game for, rather than knowing that every game counts but after a loss kicks you out of the top 10, the prospect of possibly winning the conference many weeks down the road isn't quite as motivating.

The atmosphere when we went to WVU or vice versa was antagonistic, unfriendly and sometimes downright hostile. The atmosphere of the VT/UVA game is like a large family reunion. I went to UVA for that game just a few years back and people couldn't have been friendlier. There were a lot of mixed tailgates, and the answer to "can we join you" in tailgating with the other team's fans would almost always been "yes, of course". I do feel that there was a slight shift in attitude after the 2007 shootings, after which UVA was extremely supportive of us and there was a large amount of emphasis the next fall on being appreciative. I also think that if you have family from one Virginia school, there's a much much higher chance that your siblings or cousins or nephews will go to the other Virginia school than go to WVU, so many people are seeing family and friends at the VT/UVA game.

Yeah, Muschamp needs to open his eyes. The defense played phenomenal after Miami's first two possessions. The offense better take advantage of the open week to get better or we're going to lose to Tennessee for the first time in eight years.

Archived