Ser Gerold Dayne aka Darkstar: Character Analysis

The Taxman

It's luck (and plot) what saved Myrcella's live, not Dayne's lack of skill with the sword.

perhaps he purposely didnt kill her, but now blatantly has made himself enemy to some, friend to others.. if you were anti-martell or anti-lannister, wouldnt you welcome him?

Darkstar is Doran Martell's hired sword. He will now infiltrate..

I too am of the belief that Darkstar has a bigger role. In a different thread regarding Dawn I stated my reasons why I think Darkstar will be the next Sword of the Morning. Its obviously all theory but here it goes:

Gerold claims he is of "the night" and his nickname is Darkstar

-What comes after the night? Dawn

-What does Dawn signify? the morning

-Progression----Night/Dark - Dawn - Morning

-Progression----Darkstar - is given Dawn - becomes the Sword of the Morning

Gerold's name, the sword, and the title is a natural progression and is something that seemed obvious to me as I was reading the books. I think his bitterness and claims that he is as good or better than Arthur, who wielded Dawn, are more so because he is getting impatient or some shit and thinks he should already wield it. I mean almost every line or thought of characters when they discuss Darkstar reference his ability/power/etc.

I dont know, if anyone thinks this is a crazy theory I get it, but GRRM did away with the 5 yr gap in which many thought that gap would allow for Edric to grow up a bit and possibly wield Dawn... but since there is no gap, we were coincidentally introduced to Gerold Darkstar Dayne, and I think there is a definite reason to that.

• 5 months later...

It's a real mystery whose puppet is Darkstar, and why did he hurt Myrcella. Some folks think he's a puppet of Varys, some think he's Mad King's bastard, etc.

I have my own crackpot theory that Darkstar could be a puppet of Ellaria Sand, and that might be a reason why they made that great difference in the TV show, where Ellaria wants to kill Myrcella to avenge Oberyn, unlike her book counterpart where she asks when will Martells quit their lust for venegance. Maybe GRRM wants to surprise us.

Archived