Daenerys Targaryen's House of the undying prophecy- explained

I always looked at blue flower as clear reference to Jon Snow, no love with Daenerys was ever on my mind... I giess I haven't read those interpretations. That vision speaks only about Jon, and nothing more. Not possible love nor serenity, although it could be linked with Aemon's 'fire consumes, ice preserves' line.

I always looked at blue flower as clear reference to Jon Snow, no love with Daenerys was ever on my mind... I giess I haven't read those interpretations. That vision speaks only about Jon, and nothing more. Not possible love nor serenity, although it could be linked with Aemon's 'fire consumes, ice preserves' line.

I don;t see any clear reference to Jon Snow in this prophecy. Where?

I never saw the blue flower as a sign that Dany and Jon would fall in love, but merely that Jon was indeed Rhaegar and Lyanna's son. In the HoTU, Dany only saw images relating to her or her family; the fact that she saw the flower and also Robb's death at the RW cements R+L=J for me.

Dany finding peace at The Wall could also mean she dies there. As some times when a person dies, people say they're at peace now.

Yes, that's very true. Were Dany to die, I should think that it would be at the Wall, perhaps during the battle with the Others.

I've never, ever thought of the blue flower growing from a wall as having anything to do with Dany, much less her going there to fall in love with Jon. :ack:

To me it's always symbolized part of Lyanna being at the wall, in the form of her son, Jon. I do think rose vs flower is just semantics as far as GRRM's use.

I think you're reading too much into semantics.

But I could be wrong.

It not too much, flowers was one of the ways of writing used by Shakespeare which many authors have used in literature, and I am pretty sure a flower in a prophecy is more symbolic, then actual.

I hate to bring the tv show into the book forum, but I think it's relevant to analyze the HOTU visions in the tv show. First, Dany goes to KL, and the Red Keep is covered in either ash or snow, and Dany reaches for the IT, but then she doesn't touch it and she walks away. Then we see her walking out the gate on the Wall, and into a tent where we see Drogo and Rhaego. I think this either means that she will die at the Wall, or that Drogo will return to her in a vision or something.

I don;t see any clear reference to Jon Snow in this prophecy. Where?

Blue flower, Dany probably doesn't even know how blue rose looks like, is clear reference to Rhaegar and Lyanna, and product of their love - Jon. After all, Rhaegar crowned Lyanna with crown of blue roses, the same roses Ned found on the day Lyanna died. Brick of ice symbolizes Wall, and servitude to NW.

I've never, ever thought of the blue flower growing from a wall as having anything to do with Dany, much less her going there to fall in love with Jon. :ack:

To me it's always symbolized part of Lyanna being at the wall, in the form of her son, Jon. I do think rose vs flower is just semantics as far as GRRM's use.

I don't think it has to do with Lyanna, bacause if it did GRRM would of used blue rose and that would 100% mean Dany and Jon would fall in love

I hate to bring the tv show into the book forum, but I think it's relevant to analyze the HOTU visions in the tv show. First, Dany goes to KL, and the Red Keep is covered in either ash or snow, and Dany reaches for the IT, but then she doesn't touch it and she walks away. Then we see her walking out the gate on the Wall, and into a tent where we see Drogo and Rhaego. I think this either means that she will die at the Wall, or that Drogo will return to her in a vision or something.

Yes thats what I believe this prophecy means, she goes to the wall, dies and has eternal peace, and at the same time peace in westeros is achieved, I dont think it has anything to do with Jon.

Blue flower, Dany probably doesn't even know how blue rose looks like, is clear reference to Rhaegar and Lyanna, and product of their love - Jon. After all, Rhaegar crowned Lyanna with crown of blue roses, the same roses Ned found on the day Lyanna died. Brick of ice symbolizes Wall, and servitude to NW.

How can dany not know what a blue rose looks like? Darrio even gave her a rose she knows the difference.

I don't think it has to do with Lyanna, bacause if it did GRRM would of used blue rose and that would 100% mean Dany and Jon would fall in love

Uh, no. Just a thousand times no. As a writer you sometimes don't want to use the same words over and over. You don't know for sure that rose and flower are not interchangeable to him. It's to me a bit over the top to think that he's using so many different symbols that he'd use two such similar ones to make two different points.

And as for blue rose -- again no. Blue roses have always been associated with Lyanna. Always. A blue rose growing at the wall is extremely symbolic of Lyanna being there. Dany and Jon falling in love is a huge stretch compared to that. I don't even understand how anyone can glean that.

Edit: Also, from the responses, I think it's clear that your statement: "Most assume that this means Daenerys Targeryen will go to the wall and fall in love with Jon Snow" is not true. Maybe you and some others think that, but I think it's clear that most of us see it as a symbol if Lyanna and that Jon is her son.

Uh, no. Just a thousand times no. As a writer you sometimes don't want to use the same words over and over. You don't know for sure that rose and flower are not interchangeable to him. It's to me a bit over the top to think that he's using so many different symbols that he'd use two such similar ones to make two different points.

And as for blue rose -- again no. Blue roses have always been associated with Lyanna. Always. A blue rose growing at the wall is extremely symbolic of Lyanna being there. Dany and Jon falling in love is a huge stretch compared to that. I don't even understand how anyone can glean that.

You don't get what I am saying. A blue rose and blue flower cant be used interchangeably in literature, because they have 2 completely different meaning. A blue rose isn't a flower because it doesn't exist in real life, that's why it means love that cant happen.

Also the daughter of death sequence were things related to Dany not Jon, if the undying wanted to show Jon's parentage it would of been in one of the rooms, where she saw Rhaegar and the red wedding.

Archived