Dating 4.0 Everyone is crazy. I am Spock.

Lily Valley

Hehe, a friend just linked me this: http://laurenhallden.com/datingipsum/

In all seriousness, I think okcupid is pretty good at what it does. I've met some nice girls and even made a few friends on the site. I'm sure the DC pool is better than a lot of places though. I've always been a screwup in the dating department, and a website isn't going to fix that.

Innnnnnteresting. This is a market I have not yet tapped, so to speak :P :lol: Oh, I crack myself up.

Tap it. Jewish guys are awesome.

While we're on the subject of my ethnic-related dating adventures, let's talk about the South Asian "dating convention" scene. Many of them are community-segregated (like which Indian ethnic group do you belong to - Tamils, Gujuratis, etc) and sometimes caste-segregated too. You walk into this cocktail lounge-y type place with your résumé, dressed in a cocktail dress, and you look at other people's résumés. I'm totally 100% serious about this. I found a really nice guy basically standing in a corner with a drink and looking lost because everyone had taken one look at his liberal arts major, heard that he wanted to be an author (you can hear a thousand Indian mothers simultaneously going "lolwut?") and fled from him like he had herpes. I ended up dating him for two months, to my own mother's chagrin. ("There were eighty doctors there that day and you didn't even like one?")

This remains my favourite ever exchange on OKC:

Bahahahaha! At the moment I'm in the midst of a very nice and flirty set of emails between myself and a woman on Match that is way more attractive than I am, to the point where I am pretty insecure about why the hell she would even begin to be interested in me at all to begin with. Then I see exchanges like this and can remind myself that I'm well ahead of the game by just not being that guy.

JDate - I never would have thought of it :P

This reminds me, there's a...legend I guess you'd call it...where someone made a "dating" site for Indian lesbians and gay males to meet up and be mutual bear[d]s for each other.

I've not found this site, though I've also not looked very hard. I wonder if the creator made bank....

This reminds me, there's a...legend I guess you'd call it...where someone made a "dating" site for Indian lesbians and gay males to meet up and be mutual bears for each other.

I've not found this site, though I've also not looked very hard. I wonder if the creator made bank....

Wasn't that an episode of The Big Bang Theory?

Bahahahaha! At the moment I'm in the midst of a very nice and flirty set of emails between myself and a woman on Match that is way more attractive than I am, to the point where I am pretty insecure about why the hell she would even begin to be interested in me at all to begin with. Then I see exchanges like this and can remind myself that I'm well ahead of the game by just not being that guy.

Don't be insecure! Attraction is totally subjective and she has every reason to be interested in you. Good luck!

This reminds me, there's a...legend I guess you'd call it...where someone made a "dating" site for Indian lesbians and gay males to meet up and be mutual bears for each other.

OMG that is depressing as hell. I can imagine something like this on Big Bang Theory though I haven't seen an episode about this.

This reminds me, there's a...legend I guess you'd call it...where someone made a "dating" site for Indian lesbians and gay males to meet up and be mutual bear[d]s for each other.

Oh Sci! I had the best picture in my head of Indian Bears!

Oh Sci! I had the best picture in my head of Indian Bears!

Well bears as per my understanding means something specific in the gay community?

Should you be publishing private email exchanges between you and Kolantero like this?

Hahahha

Well bears as per my understanding means something specific in the gay community?

Yes, it does.

Apologies for the lack of ethnic diversity there. Black, Latino, and Asian bears also exist. Just none who are so famous to be recognizable to my brain on short notice.

Yeah, I have to remind myself of that. I actually asked my girlfriend last night if she thought I could actually land guy #2, or if he was really out of my league. He has texted me every day since we met, but compared to guy #1 he is WAY less interested. Course, guy #1 admitted to being WAY into me, like... marriage interested, so yeah. I need to calm the hell down and stop freaking out. I also seriously have not stopped talking to people. I think that once I meet and get to know the right person, I'll know it. Maybe it's someone I've already met and just need to get to know them better, and maybe not. But I think one of the greatest things about dating is, even if guy #2 isn't into me for anything serious in the long run, I've got backups and don't need to take it so hard.

Cuz really, dating can get a person down. And I don't want that. It's been fun thus far.

if guy #1 is marriage-interested without just dating you for a few months first, that gives me an impression that you are right to freak out!

Mandy - here's a pretty good blog post about why Guy #1 could be bad news. That sort of immediate marriage talk is very weird indeed!

I've noted this same thing before - that guys who go from zero to "I want to marry you" with that sort of speed are very often participating in some kind of emotional manipulation that's calculated to flatter while deflecting attention away from any sort of potential honest appraisal of the reality of the relationship. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just saying that there are definitely guys who recognize that to some women, the most attractive thing they can be is to be really into them, and so they fake it as a game in much the same way as those disgusting PUG assholes do.

He did tell me he was a love addict. THAT DOESN"T SOUND GOOD.

Were there cameras around? Did you see Neil Patrick Harris? I only ask because it sounds like guy #1 is actually Ted Mosby.

Archived