What is stannis baratheons finest moment?

E-Ro

He hasn't had it yet. Beating starved, exhausted, low morale and no discipline "troops" half consisting of women, elderly men, and barely teenage boys (and the victor army getting excited that a collection of unarmored and under-armed non-soldiers broke against an actual army) isn't something I hold high in regards to Stannis. His movements against Bolton forces ranks higher than the "victory" at the wall.

He hasn't had it yet. Beating starved, exhausted, low morale and no discipline "troops" half consisting of women, elderly men, and barely teenage boys (and the victor army getting excited that a collection of unarmored and under-armed non-soldiers broke against an actual army) isn't something I hold high in regards to Stannis. His movements against Bolton forces ranks higher than the "victory" at the wall.

I disagree ser!

Stannis uses the men of Eastwatch to guide him and his thousand men to castle black. He launches a phenomenal three pronged assault on the wilding horde. He attacks the wildling soldiers and Mance tries to put up an effective defense, but it’s too little too late. Stannis has three columns of heavy horse assault Mances men. Stannis knows he can’t hope to take Mance in a pitched battle, Mance has too many men it’s simply not feasible at all. So he plays to his strengths, he knows that individually his men are better equipped and trained then your average wildling so he launches a daring and bold lightning attack designed to capture or kill the enemy commander or cause as much chaos and discord in the enemy ranks as possible getting them to break or accomplishing both tasks (which he does). Mance also had unconventional wepons in the form of giants and mammoths. No other commander in westeros has ever fought anything like this before, it was stannis’ first time against them as well. They manage to perform very well against the armored column sent against them. But the failure of one column did not affect the other two, now that is a damn good showing of Stannis’ leadership. This is imo, Stannis’ most impressive victory. Mance is himself no slouch at leading his men, he jumps right into action as soon as he hears the trumpets blaring, it’s too bad for him that Stannis planned this attack in such a way that it would have been extremely hard for Mance to win. The battle was not lost because of mances incompetence; it was lost because Stannis played to his strengths. He smashed an army far larger then his, and the wildlings had unconventional weapons in the form of giants and mammoths. We see how he split his heavy horse into 3 separate columns to surround, encircle, and crush mances hosts ability to fight back. His assault on the wildings completely demoralized them and crippled their ability to respond. He accomplished all of his objectives here, the complete and utter destruction of the wildlings ability to wage war, and the capture of the king beyond the wall.

Let me now address some common point’s people who don’t really know what they are talking about in regards to medieval warfare use to lessen this accomplishment.

1. The wildings had only a few thousand warriors!

That’s not true. Mances horde is placed at 100k people. Now the rate of fighting men in the wildling society is far greater then that of most other places. This is due to their lifestyle and their values. Its an extremely warlike society and only the strong survive for long. Even some of their women fight. These people will be big, strong, and fierce. We also have this quote by stannis on the wildling host.

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

Twenty times his numbers is not accurate if Stannis is counting all the wildings in the horde, if hes including the old men, children, and woman who don’t fight the wildings have 100 times his numbers(he has 1k men the wilding host is 100k strong) so Stannis is counting only the wilding warriors. The ones that actually fight.

2. The wildings are ill equipped and have no formal training at arms!

This is true; they don’t have training by a master at arms fight with lesser weapons and are not very disciplined. But they are fierce, savage and have a huge number of fighters compared to stannis. I also find it troubling that people use the fact that stannis’ men are better equipped than the wildings as a way to lessen this victory. That’s nonsense. A good commander uses his men’s strengths to his advantage, and he tries to downplay their weaknesses. That’s precisely what makes him a good commander. Furthermore, you won’t hear any historian ever say how a better equipped forces leader is not good because his men had better equipment. Think about it, no one bitches about the romans having better equipment and training then 90% of their enemies, same for alexander the great his men were far superior to what he was fighting, yet no one says “lol brah he sucks because his men were better than the enemy” Also, let’s put some of you guys saying this about the wildlings in some plate or mail, give you a steel weapon and put you up against 5 screaming savages intent on killing you and see how long it takes them to knock you down and kill the shit out of you.

Yeah cause the iron fleet we're totally starving, exhausted elderly men and women right? Single handedly annihilating them toooooootally doesn't count for anything right?

Pffffffffffffffffffffft.

I really enjoyed the moment in the books when Stannis chastized this foot soldier, Eeroo something, for sending ravens to wenches, and connecting to the weirwood network while inebriated

I heard Dany got one of those ravens. I may or may not have been summoned to this thread like a death eater from harry potter as well. When E-ro drinks cheap vodka my dark mark tells me it's time.

And then all that's left is a sparkling e-ro angel in the sky.

I heard Dany got one of those ravens. I may or may not have been summoned to this thread like a death eater from harry potter as well.

oh yeah, Jorah and Barry talked shit about it all morning long during mimosa brunchies...

just don't send drunk ravens... just don't do it!

So far? The Battle at the Wall. Ultimately, I think he WILL win the Iron Throne, but won't stay on it for very long. I actually think Every current claimant will sit the Throne before the end ( Dany, Euron, Aegon, and Stannis) and then the throne will be destroyed, because the Lords and Ladies will see how screwed up the Iron Throne makes the realm, so they'll just split into Seven Kingdoms, then take on the White Walkers.

Basically, when he wins the Iron Throne I think will be his finest moment. Also when Davos comes back with Rickon (Yes I said when not if, because he WILL) that will end up nice for him, especially if White Harbor troops come and change the tide of the battle like what happened at the Blackwater, only this time Stannis will win instead of lose.

I disagree ser!

The wildlings had also just come off a months long death march, straight into a week long siege against an impossibly difficult-to-siege 700 foot high wall of ice (and without 200 of their best Thenn warriors who had already died before the siege began). Morale is low, discipline doesn't exist, resources if not gone will be gone within weeks at best to feed 80,000 non-combatants. Exhaustion, hypothermia, surprise, armor and arms. The Battle of Castle Black wasn't an impressive win. That post completely ignores the facts of what lead up to the battle. I don't really feel the need to justify my point much further than that. It's just not feasible to expect the wildlings to ever stand against a seasoned force. Even Jeor knew 300 men had the potential to break Mances army.

Yeah cause the iron fleet we're totally starving, exhausted elderly men and women right? Single handedly annihilating them toooooootally doesn't count for anything right?

Pffffffffffffffffffffft.

Whats the Iron Fleet got to do with the Wall and Mance? Classic case of arguing against a point never made... Stannis hasn't had his finest moment. You're supposed to be able to infer that means his finest moment is yet to come, so don't get too worried that I'm not singing praises for beating the wildlings. I'm implying that his finest moment is yet to come and will eclipse beating the Iron Fleet.

“I shall bring justice to Westeros. A thing Ser Axell understands as little as he does war. Claw Isle would gain me naught . . . and it was evil, just as you said. Celtigar must pay the traitor’s price himself, in his own person. And when I come into my kingdom, he shall. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise

you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that.” King Stannis turned from the table. “On your knees, Onion Knight.”

“Your Grace?”

“For your onions and fish, I made you a knight once. For this, I am of a mind to raise you to lord.”

This? Davos was lost. “I am content to be your knight, Your Grace. I would not know how to begin being lordly.”

“Good. To be lordly is to be false. I have learned that lesson hard. Now, kneel. Your king commands.”

Davos knelt, and Stannis drew his longsword. Lightbringer, Melisandre had named it; the red sword of heroes, drawn from the fires where the seven gods were consumed. The room seemed to grow brighter as the blade slid from its scabbard. The steel had a glow to it; now orange, now yellow, now red. The air shimmered around it, and no jewel had ever sparkled so brilliantly. But when Stannis touched it to Davos’s shoulder, it felt no different than any other longsword. “Ser Davos of House Seaworth,” the king said, “are you my true and honest liege man, now and forever?”

“I am, Your Grace.”

“And do you swear to serve me loyally all your days, to give me honest counsel and swift obedience, to defend my rights and my realm against all foes in battles great and small, to protect my people and punish my enemies?”

“I do, Your Grace.”

“Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, and rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, and Hand of the King.”

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. “Your Grace, you cannot . . . I am no fit man to be a King’s Hand.”

“There is no man fitter.” Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, and pulled him to his feet.

“I am lowborn,” Davos reminded him. “An upjumped smuggler. Your lords will never obey me.”

“Then we will make new lords.”

He's had so many, smashing the Iron Fleet, holding Storm's End, Taking Dragonstone. But I'd have to say the Battle beneath the wall, although, his most badass bit was when he was telling Theon how he's going to defeat the Boltons with less men, lower morale and no horses.

If he hadn't arrived, the Wildlings would have overrun the wall.

It's not what he beat, it's that he turned up at all to beat them that matters. He saved the realm when the rest of the "Kings" were fighting over an ancient chair.

If he hadn't arrived, the Wildlings would have overrun the wall.

It's not what he beat, it's that he turned up at all to beat them that matters. He saved the realm when the rest of the "Kings" were fighting over an ancient chair.

You're welcome to that opinion but don't expect me to agree with it (see the above posts for why I don't). Oh, and the wildlings didn't threaten the realm. They wouldn't have even threatened the North, just unified it.

Archived