363 replies to this topic

#1 kairparavel

kairparavel

space-age polymer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:57 AM

Season three is getting promo'd. I'm ready to try again after not really getting into Asylum.

I like the New Orleans/voodoo/witches/spanning history theme. Here's some links to ew.com articles:

http://insidetv.ew.c...or-story-coven/

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uWer7A7d-NE First tease

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ts5UtIvcKto Second tease

Edited by kairparavel, 09 October 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#2 Ramsay Blow

Ramsay Blow

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

Yeah, season 2 was good but nowhere near as good as season 1. I'll be watching either way.

#3 red snow

red snow

Prince of Procrastination

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

hopefully they don't try and do too much this season which was where season 2 ultimately went wrong. The good thing about the show's premise is that it's always worth dropping in for the first couple of episodes to see if it fits.

#4 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

Looks interesting though I cringe when I hear "voodoo" forming a plotline.

I'm hoping for a respectful representation of Vodoun, which like Santeria was born from the attempt of slaves to keep their original culture and traditions....

There are "sorcerers" and others who are understood to abuse the supposed magic, so they still have room for the horror element without descending into stereotypes.

#5 NestorMakhnosLovechild

NestorMakhnosLovechild

You Should Watch What You Say To People

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up!

Looks interesting though I cringe when I hear "voodoo" forming a plotline.

I'm hoping for a respectful representation of Vodoun, which like Santeria was born from the attempt of slaves to keep their original culture and traditions....

There are "sorcerers" and others who are understood to abuse the supposed magic, so they still have room for the horror element without descending into stereotypes.

You... have seen this show before, right? I'm pretty sure "respectful" isn't in its vocabulary.

#6 Mya Stone

Mya Stone

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

I am so stinking excited.

#7 The Great Walrus

The Great Walrus

Aemond One-Eye's #1 fan

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

I am so stinking excited.

I'm kicking myself over not seeing most of season two, but from what i did see, i really enjoyed it. Hopefully season three will be even better.

#8 Fiddler

Fiddler

Council Member

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:52 AM

I have only been able to catch season one, loved it by the way, so I am wondering if I should wait to see season two before 3 or are they not really related?

#9 scotcat

scotcat

Council Member

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:53 AM

I loved season 1 and while I felt season 2 wasn't quite as good - still excellent, just not as much of a jolt to the system as season 1 was - I'll definitely be giving season 3 a go.

#10 kairparavel

kairparavel

space-age polymer

• Members
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Way to bring the fun, Sci.

#11 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'm excited as hell to have AHS back on again! Even when it's at its worst, it's pretty damn good.

I have only been able to catch season one, loved it by the way, so I am wondering if I should wait to see season two before 3 or are they not really related?

You've not really missed any continuing plot line or anything. Each season is a standalone. You've just missed the awesome acting of the main players.

#12 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

Way to bring the fun, Sci.

Don't get me wrong. The sorcerers in Haiti that normal Vodoun adherents are afraid of seem genuinely scary, even if they are just essentially criminal gangs with no magic.

The whole zombie curse, removing someone's consciousness, disturbs me to think about even though I don't think it's real.

Plenty of room for scary shit.

#13 KiDisaster

KiDisaster

Penalties Suck

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

I loved both seasons so far. I'm a big fan of horror so this has become one of my favorite series.

Can't wait for this to start.

#14 DivisionByZero

DivisionByZero

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

We saw the second season and liked it, even as all over the place it was. Then we went back and watched the first season and liked it's more focused approach even better. Definitely looking forward to voodoo witches! How much of the existing cast is back for this one?

#15 Tears of Lys

Tears of Lys

No crying, only whining

• Members
  • 13,192 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Don't get me wrong. The sorcerers in Haiti that normal Vodoun adherents are afraid of seem genuinely scary, even if they are just essentially criminal gangs with no magic.

The whole zombie curse, removing someone's consciousness, disturbs me to think about even though I don't think it's real.

Plenty of room for scary shit.

I thought drugs of some kind were involved in that. Plus the power of suggestion, I suppose, too.

#16 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:26 PM

I thought drugs of some kind were involved in that. Plus the power of suggestion, I suppose, too.

Ah, my Religions of African Diaspora class had something on the voodoo zombies, but I can't remember it. Sadly I think I recall more from Bill O' Reilly's Inside Edition report...

Though Tituba, the first woman accused of witchcraft during the Salem Trials was a slave so they could do a whole thing with the Diaspora faiths and history of the trials.

I am honestly excited about the possibilities, though maybe Nestor is right and I shouldn't expect too much...

#17 Tormund Ukrainesbane

Tormund Ukrainesbane

Steely eyed and resolute

• Members
  • 9,893 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

The Midgetsbane house loves this show and really hopes we get more Zach Quinto.

#18 MisterOJ

MisterOJ

One Commitment, One Passion, Only One Heart

• Members
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

I liked the first season a lot. But last year, I missed like the first 4-5 episodes and then figured I'd never get caught back up.

Does anyone know if there is someplace that is streaming the second season? I think the first is on Netflix, but not the second. And if not, any idea when the second season will be on Netflix?

#19 Sci-2

Sci-2

The 11th Little Indian

• Members
  • 19,037 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Interesting, might touch on more history than I'd have expected:

First glimpse of American Horror Story cast in their witchy new roles

It’s been over 300 years since the Salem witch trials. Those who remain are almost extinct and in danger again. A school has opened in New Orleans to teach protection to the young. The long-absent Supreme arrives to also protect the new students and their secrets. The themes include witches, witch hunts, incest, minorities, slavery, mothers and daughters, and witchcraft versus voodoo. This season will be set in modern day and the 1830s.

#20 red snow

red snow

Prince of Procrastination

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

I liked the first season a lot. But last year, I missed like the first 4-5 episodes and then figured I'd never get caught back up.

Does anyone know if there is someplace that is streaming the second season? I think the first is on Netflix, but not the second. And if not, any idea when the second season will be on Netflix?

Not on uk netflix. Boxset might be cheap now. The key thing is you can watch season 3 anyhow. Each season is utterly disconnected. Think of it as season long epiosdes of the twilight zone/outer limits.

Reply to this topic