Are Terry Goodkind books of the So Bad its Good type?

Ser Rodrigo Belmonte

Well i didn't list those complaints in any particular order, if anything the slow pace is one of my more minor gripes. Though i will admit i haven't read many exceptionally bad books in my time.

All your complaints were about that same thing though. I didn't intuit any order, I simply condensed them into the one point.

I'm still doubting how someone can easily top 600 pages of nothing happening, characters that have less flexibility then marble columns, and a pace slower then a paralyzed tortoise.

Goodkind is exactly the same as that in multiple books, except that his prose is inferior, his characterisation considerably weaker and that 100+ of those 600 pages of nothing happening will be one continuous speech by the protagonist extolling the virtues of Objectivism before he goes off and slaughters some unarmed pacificists.

While I agree that the first book is the least offensive, that the blatant Jordan ripoffs didn't start until book 2, and the Objectivist derailment didn't really hit its stride until book 5, I'd like to remind everyone of a few things that did happen in the first book:

Our hero's brother, a politician, manages to convince an entire nation to voluntarily ban fire. Ban fire! Do you know what would happen if a medieval country banned fire? Short answer, everyone would die.

Our hero's mentor, the wily old super wizard, convinces a crowd of angry villagers that all their penises have disappeared. Their penises had not in actuality disappeared, but for some reason they all believed the old asshole when he told them that they had. He explains how he did this by enlightening us with the titular Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid. This is not a joke, and I am not paraphrasing; the wizard's first rule of the title is, verbatim, people are stupid. Believe it or not, this is not the dumbest of the wizard's rules.

Our hero righteously kicks a little girl's face off. This is not presented as morally ambiguous (nothing in Goodkind is morally ambiguous), but rather as The Right Thing to Do. The little bitch fucking deserved it!

Our hero falls in love with his rapist, and his rapist in turn falls in love with him. It's okay though, because she's super hot, really kinky, and has nice boobs. He does end up killing her, but he does so, literally, out of love, and remembers her fondly for the rest of the series.

I succumbed to temptation, and did actually read the scene where he shattered Princess Violet's jaw, It made some sort of sense, given that Violet had been torturing him for fun, and had to be prevented by the Mord Sith from torturing him to death.

Admittedly, it came in the middle of about 70 pages of torture and sexual abuse at the hands of the Mord Sith, which Richard seems rather to enjoy eventually, and in turn, the Mord Sith enjoys being tortured by him as their relationship develops.

Goodkind is not even a writer.

He's a self-appointed preacher for a religion subterfuged into a second-rate fantasy novel.

You have been warned.

That's a warning well and truly given seeing as the horse got out of the barn some fifty threads ago...

Archived