Are Dragons really necessary in the fight against the Others?

Consigliere

Is Dany and more specifically her dragons necessary in the fight against the others?

Before I begin I am going to make an assumption that The Last Hero (Westerosi/First Men), TPTWP (Valyrian) and AA (Asshai) refer to the same person. I don’t have any concrete evidence for this but rather a gut feeling that the mythology is the same but told from the perspective of different cultures as well as in AFFC, Maester Aemon and Melisandre consider AA and TPTWP as interchangeable.

The last time the Others invaded was during a period known as the Long Night 8,000 years before the War of Conquest. According to the legend a race of demons emerged from the Lands of Always Winter and raised the dead to fight the living. The COTF and FM eventually defeated the Others when it was discovered that dragonglass could kill them. The Wall was then supposedly raised by Brandon the Builder with help from the COTF and infused with magic. The NW was then created to protect the realms of men against the Others. In the AA mythology the hero defeated the Great Other using the sword Lightbringer.

Nowhere is it stated in either the Last Hero or AA legends that dragons where needed to repel the darkness. It appears to me that the COTF are far more integral to the fight against the Others than dragons. There is also the popular theory that Jon is or is going to be AAR, which makes Dany’s role at the wall redundant. I believe that Jon, Bran and the COTF are the key to defeating the others. I think Dany’s story is better served in the south where she can fulfill her perceived destiny and restore House Targaryen to the IT as well as take care of that pesky ‘mummers dragon’. I guess the characters roles will become clearer once we know who the other 2 dragon riders are.

Here's a link,. Start watching at 7minutes mark, GRRM uses a name The Prince of That Was Promised to describe Stannis, thus confirming that Azor Ahai and TPTWP is the same person.

About dragon used against the Others. It's really an assumption that readers have come up with. There is nothing in the book that would indicate that the Others and Dragons will be fighting against each other or that they will in any way involved together story wise.

I for one don't see Dragons and the Others interacting with or against each other in any way. Their story will remain seperate.

About dragon used against the Others. It's really an assumption that readers have come up with. There is nothing in the book that would indicate that the Others and Dragons will be fighting against each other or that they will in any way involved together story wise.

Daenerys' dream in ASOS.

Daenerys' dream in ASOS.

Yes, but even that dream could be interpreted differently...

As far as I am concern, dragons can be used effectively against wights, but not Others...

And, if they were not needed for the first time, and humanity prevailed over Others, why do we immediately assume we need dragons now?

No, dragons are not necessary to defeat the Others, but IMO they can help. I think that Dany will fight the Others, but not necessarily on the same side as Bran or Jon or Stannis.

Yea I agree Dany will fight the others at a different battlefront then Jon.

We don't really know how Dragons will deal with the long night at all.

Don't we have that quote about a dragon being downed by a rain storm at Storms end? (Citation needed here)

Imagine a dragon in the storm currently raging around Winterfell, personally that doesn't sound like a good place for a being of fire to me.

IMO, people are inventing the idea that Dragons will be good agains the others, when the only evidence we have that they will be is that fire burns wights. (We've no idea what it does to White Walkers)

well you dont need a sword to kill a man but it probably makes it easier. and what the heck does the last hero have in common with Azor Ahai?

AA and the Last Hero mythology seem to have a similar arc. Both fight against and successfully repel the Others approximately 8,000 years ago.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Azor_Ahai

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Last_hero

I don't assume that. I said that I think that they are helpful, what's needed are obsidian and dragonsteel.

Only the first line of my post was reply to you. The other 2 are general statements...

An analogous question might be "are the Others really necessary to defeat Dany's dragons"?

To which I do not know the answer. But, obviously, the more time and energy the bad guys spend fighting among themselves, the more likely it is that the good guys will stand a chance.

Yes, the dragon was Meraxes, but Meraxes was just as deadly on ground, as in the air.

Against people yes, but again the Others? And thats a rain storm, which humans generally deal fine in. Imagine the snow storms the North gets? Im not seeing a dragon doing overly well in the North when Winter comes, but I guess i'll wait and see.

Archived