About to start reading, is it that bad?

Lord Dolorous Edd

As one of my favorite things in the series is the politics, I enjoyed AFfC. As people had said before, it's slow paced, but by all means it's not bad.

I can imagine why some people hated it so much, though: I'm a new reader, just like you. I started reading the books after watching Game of Thrones.

But imagine the longtime fans who read ASoS when it was launched and had to wait 5 years in order to know what happened to their favorite characters only to get a book missing Jon (except for one of Sam's chapters), Tyrion, Davos and Daenerys?

They had to wait more 5 years in order to know what happened to Tyrion after his escape. In their place, I'd hate AFfC for that.

Also a new reader. Began AGOT roughly 10 weeks ago, and I'm now about 60% through AFFC. I quite like the 'lull before the storm' nature of the story. It allows us to explore so many new areas of Westeros. I love how we get a feel for the differing characteristics, beliefs and ways of life of the regions

I really liked AFFC. I just started reading ADWD and am already missing some of the POV's I got from AFFC (Sam Tarly's being one of my favorite, God knows why). I really love that GRRM split it up that way though. I think it's almost like Christmas, haha. AFFC lets you explore all these characters that you never really got a chance at before. However, I was pretty upset when I started reading AFFC and realized there was no Tyrion chapters (he's my absolute favorite). I think that probably bugged a ton of people, especially when AFFC was first published. But I wouldn't give up on AFFC. There's a ton of stuff that happens, and different viewpoints to enjoy. I think skipping AFFC could be classified as some kind of cardinal sin. ;)

I enjoyed AFFC a lot and I don't find it a step down in the series, I think it's the same quality. It's just slower paced than ASOS and doesn't have so many huge events, there are big battles etc. and I'm guessing why it disappointed some people. besides the fact that it only deals with half of the characters.

If you only care about Dany. Jon and Tyrion or Davos/Stannis, you're going to hate it since they're mostly not in it (Jon) or not in it at all (the rest of them). If you're interested in other characters and if you love/are interested in Jaime, Cersei, Brienne, Sansa, Arya or Samwell, you may love it. If you want to find out about the other places in Westeros (and beyond) that the first 3 books didn't focus on, you will enjoy it, too. The book introduces several new major characters and sheds light on some of the power players that hadn't gotten attention before, but will no doubt play a large role in the rest of the series.

I read the book over the same amount of time I read ASOS, that tells you something. There are a lot of great character moments, lines, hints and foreshadowing, even if there are not many climactic and huge events.

I had no idea people disliked Brienne's chapters. They were among my favorites, maybe favorite, both because her chapters are the window into what is happening in the Riverlands, which I found perhaps the most interesting as far as action goes, and because I really started liking her as a character and enjoyed getting to know her experience as a woman who does not 'fit in' and how much she had to endure.

If you started reading the books you should definitely continue!

I am a bit more than half way through and It is a page turner, though not as good as ASOS. But it has some great character and relation development which I'm eager to follow. Also some insightful perspectives on some characters.

Yep, as someone that read through all five books and didn't have to wait, I quite enjoyed A Feast for Crows. Jaime became one of my favorite characters in A Storm of Swords and I liked getting introduced to Dorne. I know the last two books get a lot of flak but it's basically one huge transition book in the series that serves the purpose of showing the wide spread aftermath of ASoS, gets you into the mind of Cersei, introduces Dorne and the Iron Islands and how they all fit in the one big puzzle that is Westeros, while setting the pieces in place for what is hopefully a grand finale with The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. I'm of the opinion that the time between was the real issue, not so much the books themselves. Five years and then another six years to complete what is essentially Part II of AFfF...it's understandable for people to be frustrated. ASoS was a tough act to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed AFFC a lot and I don't find it a step down in the series, I think it's the same quality. It's just slower paced than ASOS and doesn't have so many huge events, there are big battles etc. and I'm guessing why it disappointed some people. besides the fact that it only deals with half of the characters.

This is what I found. I am finally up to the final chapter with Sam in Oldtown. I found the 2nd to 3rd quarter of the book quite a slog to get through, and that's what it is: after constant action from Ned's departure for King's Landing to the Red Wedding, we had to deal with the pause in the war. Armies are spent, lords are regrouping, the common people are getting decidedly fed up with being cannon fodder or dealing with brigands while lords parade around claiming thrones.

Hoping that ADwD picks up the pace a little bit, BUT that said now I'm at the end of AFfC it's a key piece of the puzzle.

Started reading AFFC a week ago and I have to say I quite...love it?

Before I started reading the books, there were 2 aspects pretty much everybody seemed to agree on: ASOS is the best of the series, AFFC is the worst of the series. I probably had really low expectations for book 4, I don't know, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people say it is.

Only read about 200 pages and so far I absolutely LOVE the Martell/Dorne chapters. Can't wait to know who will they cast as Arianne. On the other hand, Brienne's chapters are a chore. What bothers me is that they're so freaking long (16-18 pages, mainly filled with descriptions). 10 pages per Brienne chapter would have been enough. Oh well.

well , i started it too last week (i'm 200 hundred pages+ on it but i paused due to my heavy programme...i will continue it around christmas).

Till now it's not bad. I think people hate on it because it's not as great as Storm of Swords. It's always a problem to be the sequel to a great book , but Martin again captured me with his writing. And oh! We have POV's from Dornish people or from Greyjoys something very positive. so i like it as far as i read it. only think i found strange was that for example Aeron Greyjoy was called The Prophet or something like that at the beginning of the chapter. But nevermind that , it was a good read , i'm looking forward to the next chapters :)

well , i started it too last week (i'm 200 hundred pages+ on it but i paused due to my heavy programme...i will continue it around christmas).

Till now it's not bad. I think people hate on it because it's not as great as Storm of Swords. It's always a problem to be the sequel to a great book , but Martin again captured me with his writing. And oh! We have POV's from Dornish people or from Greyjoys something very positive. so i like it as far as i read it. only think i found strange was that for example Aeron Greyjoy was called The Prophet or something like that at the beginning of the chapter. But nevermind that , it was a good read , i'm looking forward to the next chapters :)

Aeron is not the only character who gets referred by something that's not his name in the title of the chapter. It's something GRRM does several times in the book.

Aeron is not the only character who gets referred by something that's not his name in the title of the chapter. It's something GRRM does several times in the book.

i know (Asha or this soldier from Dorne had this reference instead of name too) , but he didn't till the fourth book as far as i'm concerned!

I'm now 200 or so pages in and I'm loving it. Personally, I think the POVs have been fantastic, and I haven't even been craving for my favorites (Dany, Tyrion, Jon). I am starting to become a fuckin huge Jaime fan. I don't even know why... It's really not even because of his attempts at restoring some honor at this point... I just.. can't put a finger on it. His POVs make him an interesting and likeable guy I guess. Definitely my favorite POV from this book so far, and in the 200 pages I've read there was only one.

I would suggest the Boiled Leather combined reading order. Its spoiler free for a first timer and gives you a better sense of how events are proceeding in relation to each other.

Couldn't agree more! The worst thing about AFfC and ADwD was the damn prolonged wait! 11 years between Tyrion, Stannis/Davos, Dany and Jon chapters? Wtf was that? Read in combined order...that is my command!

It's still pretty good if you ask me, better than ACoK and certainly better than ADwD. Jaime's chapters are fantastic, it's where, if you ask me, GRRM really hits his stride. Some elements of the Greyjoy stuff work,and Cersei's chapters are also quite enjoyable. The only problem I have is that it's somewhat convoluted, with some chapters merely acting as scene-setters, it really lacks the pace of ASoS. But it's still pretty good.

i know (Asha or this soldier from Dorne had this reference instead of name too) , but he didn't till the fourth book as far as i'm concerned!

Yes, he never did that before AFFC. But he does that in quite an interesting way in this book - he refers to the characters as they think of themselves at the time. You'll see more of it later on.

It defiantly takes a step back from SoS, but you get to meet some new characters, and some new POV. My favorite book of the 5

My favorite as well. It's really more King Landing-oriented with some spotlight on Dorne. Thumbs up: Cersei's, Jaime's Arya's and Sansa's chapters. Thumbs down: Brienne's, Sam's.

I miss Jon and Tyrion, tho.

Archived