ConCarolinas May 30 - June 1 2014: Charlotte NC GRRM Guest of honor

Yippee! I've booked my room. I have a dumb question: when is the banquet? Would that be conflicting with a dinner with GRRM? I'm pretty certain most of us would forego a banquet with the rest of the Con if it meant we had a more intimate dinner with GRRM and the BwB.

The "rest of the Con" banquet is the Guest of Honor banquet with GRRM presiding so there can't be a conflict with a BWB gathering with him. Hopefully the latter will pan out.

Awesome! And both Lara and I were able to get the weekend off, so we will be driving up Friday morning from Augusta. We're booked at the Hilton, but I don't think we are on the third/fourth floors. No reason we can't do a 'House Bannister' dinner together for us procrastinators that didn't get to the banquet :D

Awesome! And both Lara and I were able to get the weekend off, so we will be driving up Friday morning from Augusta. We're booked at the Hilton, but I don't think we are on the third/fourth floors. No reason we can't do a 'House Bannister' dinner together for us procrastinators that didn't get to the banquet :D

I'll have to see if I can find the House Bannister ribbons.

Would it be considered a 'party' if we all ordered takeout/delivery at the pool or some other outside venue at the hotel? It should be warm enough. cool enough tolerable, give or take a refreshing sudden, afternoon/late evening thunderstorm.

There are also some paranormal investigators at this Con. Am I the only one that enjoys historic walks/ghost hunts? That might be something to look into Friday or Saturday night. We could probably book a group rate if there were 6 or more going, assuming that Charlotte has a few. I will look into some of the walking tours.

Of course, all that depends on the Con schedule which apparently won't be out until the beginning of May.

My friend Teresa have tickets for the weekend and for Friday night's GRRM banquet...cannot wait!!

Someone asked about a Catholic Church. St. Peter's in uptown Charlotte is great, but if you want to stick closer to the University area by the Convention, St. Thomas Aquinas is super close.

Thai House, which sounds like the Thai restaurant that was mentioned, is awesome!!

My friend Teresa have tickets for the weekend and for Friday night's GRRM banquet...cannot wait!!

Someone asked about a Catholic Church. St. Peter's in uptown Charlotte is great, but if you want to stick closer to the University area by the Convention, St. Thomas Aquinas is super close.

Thai House, which sounds like the Thai restaurant that was mentioned, is awesome!!

Thanks Lindsay! Looks like St. Thomas if my flight allows. I really appreciate it.

Does anyone know how far Uptown is from University City? That's where all the historic/culinary/ghost tours are.

Also, what are the Charlotte police like? Should I plan on renting a vehicle or cruising up with my turn-signal challenged vehicle? :p

Do we have a head count for who isn't going to the banquet Friday night?

eta:

:tantrum: I just checked my email for the first time in 2 days and missed a chance to enter the raffle for the banquet! :bang:

Just asked for time off from work, so I may be able to make this happen. Depends on $$ and coverage for my doggie.

In the meantime, are any ladies of TTTNE looking for a possible roommate? I have been known to make myself comfortable on the floor and/or not come back until the morning anyway... ;)

And if I do make it, count me in for House Bannister and all assorted BWB togetherness stuff. I'm happy to volunteer to work the signing line again, too. \m/

Cross your fingers for me, folks...

Just asked for time off from work, so I may be able to make this happen. Depends on $$ and coverage for my doggie.

In the meantime, are any ladies of TTTNE looking for a possible roommate? I have been known to make myself comfortable on the floor and/or not come back until the morning anyway... ;)

And if I do make it, count me in for House Bannister and all assorted BWB togetherness stuff. I'm happy to volunteer to work the signing line again, too. \m/

Cross your fingers for me, folks...

If you're bringing your doggie, my wife and I normally stay at the Sleep Inn. It is walking distance to the Con Hotel, and they allow little ones for a reasonable price.

I did not get a ticket for the banquet.

GH

Yeah, I didn't get one either.

On an aside, I changed rooms so I'm on the Executive floor, but all the rooms with the Con block are booked per the hotel. They have some rooms available, but Expedia was showing 8 bookings in the last 12 hours.

If you're bringing your doggie, my wife and I normally stay at the Sleep Inn. It is walking distance to the Con Hotel, and they allow little ones for a reasonable price.

I did not get a ticket for the banquet.

GH

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not traveling with the pup - she hates the car - and I have arranged coverage for her so this is looking more and more like a "yes" instead of a "maybe."

Ser Scott - I'll let you know when I purchase a membership. Until then just keep me in the maybe camp to be on the safe side.

It will be so good to see everyone again! \m/

Looking at the hotel pictures, the pool area looks pretty spacious.

Regardless, if nothing else, I am willing to host a small (or however many they will allow me) gathering in my room of 'BYOBT' (bring your own bottle and takeout) during the banquet time or we can do what we did at CapClave and see if they can set the BWB aside an area in the hotel restaurant.

I am looking at staying at the Microtel just down the street, $69 for a double. I'm driving in from Thursday through Monday.

Arlington Bill, if you need help with DC17 stuff count me in, whether its sitting at a table or passing out fliers or whatever.

Any buddy got details on volunteering, cuz I can't find the Volunteer Director's email on the website.

Archived