[Spoilers] How many of the villains will die anticlimatically?

Tall Talker

Newbie here. I was previously a lurker here for a bit until this question popped into my head and I saw no one else had really posted a topic similiar to it (at least, as far as I'm aware).

The anticlimax boss is a recurring trope in these books, no doubt Martin's way of subverting the fantasy's genre (and general fiction as well) typical way of dealing with villains via epic battles or confrontations.

Just some examples (courtesy of TV Tropes):

- Khal Drogo is set up as a major threat to all of Westeros but is reduced to a catatonic state after a festering wound is 'treated' by the blood magic of a maegi who had reason to despise him. He never even crosses the narrow sea to begin the invasion of Westeros.

- Tywin, as head of the Lannisters and chief adversary for many of the other characters, but his death has nothing to do with his domination of the continent. His abuse of his son Tyrion finally catches up to him and he dies an ignominious death on a privy.

- Viserys seems to be set up as a major villain, but he dies halfway through the first book, before he or any of his supporters set foot in Westeros.

- Balon Greyjoy declares himself King of the Iron Islands and has set up a major campaign to raid the North, but dies off-page before he ever does anything. His brothers, however, take up the cause.

- Renly plans on stealing the throne from Stannis and has put together the largest army in Westeros, but he's assassinated on the night before the battle without putting up a fight. Stannis takes the bulk of his forces into his own campaign against the Lannisters.

There are a few others I can think of that could potentially fit such as Joffrey and Vargo Hoat. While we're all glad that Joffrey is just dead period, it wasn't at the hands of one of his victims or enemies. And while Vargo Hoat had a nightmarish death he deserved it all happened off-page.

The only villains I can think of that had inarguably conventional, climactic deaths are Gregor Clegane (dying a long, agonizing death for one of his more horrific acts), the Tickler (died hearing the questions he asked all his torture victims), and Rorge and Shagwell (notorious outlaws and rapists gets killed by a female knight in shining armor).

(Granted, if you're a Dany or Tyrion fan, you can make a case against Tywin and Visery's death being anticlimatic as their deaths were laced with delicious karma and irony.)

So which of the remaining villains do you think will also have an embarrassing death none of us will see coming?

That would suck. I honestly think the only two legitimately "anti-climatic" deaths were Drogo and Quentyn. I don't see how Viserys' death is anti climatic.

So you don't find Balon and Renly's deaths disappointing at all? Also I did say one can argue that Viserys's death isn't anticlimatic what with all the karma and irony involved in it. Also, while Quentyn's death certainly was anticlimatic I don't see how Quentyn how can be viewed as a villain, or even as an anti-villain.

More than any of us would like.

Oh yeah. I just hope George won't overdo it like King did with The Dark Tower.

I'm afraid one of those will be Lord Frey.

For the amount of vengeance a lot of people want to fall on him, he will probably die of a heart attack off-page, mentioned by someone just in passing. Or slipping and falling to his death.

On the bright side, it would be hilarious if House Frey imploded from in-fighting all because the Late Lord Frey slipped and cracked his head on the floor.

I wouldn't mind if Stannis stumble and brake his neck in the most vulgar accident of the series. But who is a villian and who is a hero in this series?...I can't see Khal Drogo as a villian and at the same time I can't see Jaime as a hero.

Heroes: Jon, Danaerys, the Blackfish, Barristan Selmy, Dhaario, Bran, Arya, Brianne,

Villains: Cersei, Littlefinger, the Hight Sparrow, Euron, Varys, Jaime, Stannis, the Green Grace, Roose and Ramsay Bolton, Walder Frey

Between Hero and Villain: Tiryon, Victarion, Randyl Tarly, Lady Stoneheart, Melisandre, Bronn

Heroes: Jon, Danaerys, the Blackfish, Barristan Selmy, Dhaario, Bran, Arya, Brianne, Roose and Ramsay Bolton, Walder Frey

Villains: Cersei, Littlefinger, the Hight Sparrow, Euron, Varys, Jaime, Stannis, the Green Grace

Between Hero and Villain: Tiryon, Victarion, Randyl Tarly, Lady Stoneheart, Melisandre, Bronn

:lmao:

Walder Frey will probs die in his sleep. ( I hope however that he dies completely alone eg stannis rallies the north defeats the boltons then takes the twins but leaves Walder alive after executing his remaining family so that Walder dies completely alone having being stripped of his lordship)

Ramsey will hopefully have an anticlimactic death my reason being that he is so hated that the sooner he is out of the book and the less he is dwelled upon the better.

Whoops, for climactic deaths I forgot Janos Slynt (betrayed Ned which led to his beheading, was then behaded by Ned's bastard).

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Euron ended up being as anticlimatic of a character as Quentyn.

Quentyn might not be a huge character, but he had a great death. He thought it himself.... it was all or nothing, if he succeeded capturing a dragon, hist story would have been told in Dorne for centuries.

I'm going with Roose Bolton. I think Roose will be killed off screen by Manderly's men once Ramsay leaves for the Wall to fetch his bride back.

Ramsay I think will help ensure the fall of the Wall, with him and his forces attacking from the South and the Others attacking from the North. The Wall will fall and Ramsay will be taken by the Others screaming.

Archived