Video Games: The long wait until Fall games come out

Fez

Continue various video-game discussions.

I finished my replay of the new Tomb Raider last night, the final two areas were easier than I remember but maybe I've just gotten better at the game. I still really like it, and I'm excited that a sequel has been announced.

I'm still looking forward to Saints Row 3, but I wish it had gotten better reviews. High 7s and low 8s aren't the most encouraging news, particularly considering how much some of the sites (looking at you IGN) had been hyping the game beforehand. Also, the new XCOM game actually looks pretty good. It is a shooter, but it sounds very tactical and its keeping a lot of the feel of the strategy games; such as having shield and half-shield icons indicating cover locations and strength.

I gave up that Norway game in EUIII that I'd mentioned a while back. After my fleet was smashed by a 12-big ship pirate fleet and all my naval zones were filled with pirates and I had no money to build new ships I gave up. I looked it up online and found out that a later expansion than I have (I'm only up to In Nominee) actually made pirates optional because so many people complained about how OP they were. I just modded them out of the game and started over as Sicily (at least I think I did, I'm only up to Naval 7 and they don't appear until 9).

I've taken all of Naples except Napoli itself, Morea, Rhodes, Gabes and the desert province next to it, and I've vassalized Corfu. So I've got a nice little island empire developing. The Ottomans have completely fallen apart, with Bulgaria and Morea both breaking away and war and rebels everywhere so they only have 2 provinces left in Europe and don't control much of their Anatolian provinces right now, so I'll probably go after them just as soon as I take Tunis (I randomly got a core on an Ottoman province). I'd like to take Napoli and Tuscany but there's too many alliances and independence guarantees there to get involved.

I also picked up Civilization 5 with the Gods and Kings expansion (it was a gold pack, didn't have Brave New World). I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, its so incredibly different than Civ 4. I like the greater synergy that so many game concepts have, but I think they took the streamlining too far. I know I the G&K expansion re-added some of the complexity (so I probably would've hated the vanilla game) and it sounds like Brave New World adds even more back, so I may get that too at some point. But I do like some of the new mechanics a lot, like the way you build a religion, and the change in combat is very welcome; stacks of doom had gotten boring.

In news, apparently GTA V's multiplayer is actually going to be... GTA Online:

In a post explaining what the mode will entail, the company suggested that while this mode will initially be tied to Grand Theft Auto V, the intent is that it grows over time, possibly to the stage where it becomes its own separate game and incorporates other locales.

"Grand Theft Auto Online is a dynamic and persistent online world for 16 players that begins by sharing gameplay features, geography and mechanics with Grand Theft Auto V, but will continue to expand and evolve after its launch with new content created by Rockstar Games and the Grand Theft Auto community," the company explained. "Grand Theft Auto Online takes the fundamental Grand Theft Auto concepts of freedom, ambient activity and mission-based gameplay and makes them available to multiple players in an incredibly detailed and responsive online world.

"In Grand Theft Auto Online, players have the freedom to explore alone or with friends, work cooperatively to complete missions, band together to participate in activities and ambient events, or compete in traditional game modes with the entire community, all with the personality and refined mechanics of Grand Theft Auto V.

"Players can invest in their character through customizing their appearance, improving their stats, owning customized vehicles, purchasing personal property, and taking part in missions, jobs and activities to earn reputation and cash to open up new opportunities to rise through the criminal ranks. The world of Grand Theft Auto Online will constantly grow and change as new content is added, creating the first ever persistent and dynamic Grand Theft Auto game world.

"Access to Grand Theft Auto Online is free with every retail copy of Grand Theft Auto V and launches on October 1st."

So, alright then.

Why is summer the drought season for AAA video games? That has never made sense to me.

Kids are out of school, they wanna play games.

Families going on vacation and kids spending more time outside probably has something to do with it.

Is the game market even targeted at kids anymore? I thought it was college grads and up?

I've gotten through my Steam Sale purchases completely now.

Bioshock Infinite: Really enjoyed this, though I'm no expert of (or even all that experienced with) shooters. Liked the story, kind of wish you had more control over Booker's personality, but thought it was great overall. Best game I've played all year, though that's not saying much given my limited gaming.

Walking Dead: Replayed - I enjoyed it and really liked the character interactions (Especially with Clem, of course). Thought it lacked some of the "your choices matter" that I expected, but considering the price I can't complain at all. 400 Days DLC was disappointing, as I mentioned in my post on the last topic, and didn't get better on replay. Only the diner group really meant much to me.

Tomb Raider: A lot of fun. Never played a TR game before, so I can't really speak to the "This is more Uncharted than TR" complaints I've seen on other sites, but I had a lot of fun running around the island, stalking the cultists with my bow, etc.

Dishonored: Kind of a let down. Really like the aesthetic and the ability to play as steathily as you like but I felt their measurement of chaos was a bit harsh (i.e. it felt like you basically have to kill no one). I still had fun with it, but I probably wont replay it for awhile.

I went out and got Bioshock 1 and 2 based on Infinite, so I've got those two to play, my replay of Freespace 2 and I think I still have Empire: Total War lying around somewhere in my apartment.

I finished my replay of the new Tomb Raider last night, the final two areas were easier than I remember but maybe I've just gotten better at the game. I still really like it, and I'm excited that a sequel has been announced.

I think a replay is in order for myself as well. Going to play on hard, so maybe those final few missions will still be challenging. Also, the DLC is on sale now. Not much of it is any good, but I'll pick up the costume packs for $2.

I just noticed that for the Humble Origin Bundle that you can't actually assign any of your money to EA. It looks like a nice PR move from them. They'll also get people into their Origin client a bit. I approve.

Yup. They're not making a penny. Also they give you both an Origin and a Steam code for the ones that are available on Steam, effectively giving you two copies of five of the games.

I changed my mind and bought the bundle last night, kept Dead Space 3 and Burnout and gave the rest away.

Chromancer

"Chromancer is a browser-based, free-to-play trading card game. No download is required to play. It's easy to learn and tough to master. And it's free in the truest sense of the word: you can earn all of the cards by playing the game as a free player.

Chromancer is also the very first adaptive strategy card game, and as such is the first game in a long time to bring truly innovative mechanics to the genre. Unlike the vast majority of new TCGs and CCGs, Chromancer is not just a new flavor of the “attack your opponent until his life points are reduced to 0” mechanic. Instead, the game focuses on strategically disabling one's opponent, while simultaneously and constantly adapting to shifting game rules. The game was conceived by a team of card players at the very top of international competition in multiple games, both offline and online, and it was designed above all to be truly innovative and engaging for players."

Finally started playing through Mass Effect 3(bought it about a month ago) and I am loving it.

I'm not real far into it, just did a mission to get the krogans on my side, but what I have played has been fun.

The moment I saw Ashlynn Shepard(fem shep I have played the other games as) pop up on the screen I felt as if I was hanging with an old friend. I know there have been a lot of complaints about this game, but this series has been wonderful, IMO, and I love my cold hearted bitch that I am playing as.

I don't think I have been this invested in a character in a while. I can almost feel what she is going through and the tension relieving relief I/her felt when Liara let it be known that the feelings were still there felt entirely real.

Also, the opening sequence(tutorial) was fantastic. I don't mean the little bit of gameplay that tought the controls, but the cinematic stuff was great. i honestly felt emotional about the devastation and everything that was happening.

I have also played a bit of the multi player and while it is basically a horde mode, its still pretty fun.

My really only complaint is the control scheme. Whoever decided that the button which puts you into cover and the button that sprints should be the same needs to be slapped with a 20 pound fish. There is no reason that sprint couldn't have been mapped to the L3 or R3 buttons(pushing down on the sticks) just like almost every other shooter I have played. That is agrivating as hell. When is the day going to come that we can just completly remap the controls to how we want to play?

Also wanted to see if anyone caught the Call of Duty Ghosts multiplayer reveal yesterday?

I know that there is a lot of hate for CoD, but I am a huge fan and can't wait til November, it looks very interesting.

They added even more customization to the game, something I love. Changed how the perks work and how the create a class will work, which is fantastic. Added a new gun type, basically an assualt rifle that fits in between normal assualt rifles and snipers(equated it to a M1 in earlier CoD games), which sounds cool.

Plus the trailer had the new Eminem song playing, which I thought was great, and they anounced the release sometime this fall of his new CD, can't wait.

I also like the fact that if you buy it for 360 when it comes out, which I will be, and then later buy the Xbone, which I will be, everything will transfer over. I won't have to start out from scratch on the new system.

Its going to be awsome and I can't wait.

I preorded BF4 on the basis that I found BF3 to be an awesome multiplayer PC experience with very smooth controls and a lot of fun, but I'm unsure regarding CoD Ghosts - I still haven't got around to finishing the BLOPS II campaign and I found the multiplayer a fun diversion but lacking the depth of BF3. Also the PC multiplayer implementation is poor.

If Ghosts comes out with PC dedicated servers and is a true step forward for the series I'll think about it but if it is just a repackaged COD with a slightly new graphics engine I'm not sure if I'll go there.

Finally started playing through Mass Effect 3(bought it about a month ago) and I am loving it.

I'm not real far into it, just did a mission to get the krogans on my side, but what I have played has been fun.

The moment I saw Ashlynn Shepard(fem shep I have played the other games as) pop up on the screen I felt as if I was hanging with an old friend. I know there have been a lot of complaints about this game, but this series has been wonderful, IMO, and I love my cold hearted bitch that I am playing as.

I don't think I have been this invested in a character in a while. I can almost feel what she is going through and the tension relieving relief I/her felt when Liara let it be known that the feelings were still there felt entirely real.

Also, the opening sequence(tutorial) was fantastic. I don't mean the little bit of gameplay that tought the controls, but the cinematic stuff was great. i honestly felt emotional about the devastation and everything that was happening.

I have also played a bit of the multi player and while it is basically a horde mode, its still pretty fun.

My really only complaint is the control scheme. Whoever decided that the button which puts you into cover and the button that sprints should be the same needs to be slapped with a 20 pound fish. There is no reason that sprint couldn't have been mapped to the L3 or R3 buttons(pushing down on the sticks) just like almost every other shooter I have played. That is agrivating as hell. When is the day going to come that we can just completly remap the controls to how we want to play?

Imagine the frustration for computer users.

Goddamn consoles ruining control schemes for ages now.

Today's clusterfuck is Bethesda Softworks (i.e. Zenimax Media, Bethesda's parent company) and Arkane lying about making Prey 2 (and the previous developers, Human Head, having been allegedly fired) when, in fact, they are.

Context for the situation: Human Head, an independent outside company, have been working on Prey 2 for about 3-4 years. They were close to completion when Bethesda allegedly began 'making' them fail delivery milestones and reneging on existing promises, apparently in an attempt to starve Human Head to the point where they would have to either sell the company to Bethesda for a song to survive. However, Human Head got around their contract (which said they could only develop original games for Bethesda in the period until Prey 2 was completed) by assisting on development of BioShock Infinite and Defiance, which has given them some financial autonomy. Fed up with Bethesda allegedly screwing them around, they ceased work on Prey 2 last year in what the gaming press called a 'strike'. Apparently devleopment got underway again, but then either Human Head said fuck this shit and quit altogether (impressive if true, as that means they wouldn't have been paid any money), or Bethesda fired them. Human Head are already working on a new game for a new studio.

Apparently Bethesda then ordered Arkane (now a subsidiary of Bethesda) to make Prey 2, but Arkane were allegedly unhappy as they wanted to focus on more Dishonored games or possibly a new IP. Bethesda overrode that by having the core team work on Prey 2 and arranged for Arkane's second studio to work on the Dishonored sequel. Some of the Dishonored team have since transferred to the second studio to keep working on the new game. The rest were convinced to work on Prey 2 because they would be allowed to turn it into the 'spritual sequel' to System Shock 2.

Some might say that all of this fuss over a modestly successful-but-mostly-forgotten 2007 FPS is a bit over-the-top.

None of this matters because the re-release of Flashback: The Quest for Identity is here. If you don't know about this game and if it didn't change your life back in the day...your world is a dismal, barren hell.

True, but the remake looks pretty generic. Also, not on PC yet which is slightly ridiculous (X-Box Live only for a while).

Far more importantly, Space Hulk is out now.

Archived