Planning a trip to New Orleans

Adolpho's is my favorite for seafood. It is delicious, tiny and very reasonably priced. ($100.00 feeds 2 with appetizers and wine). It's on Frenchmen Street above The Apple Barrel. Many of their sauces have shellfish, but my current favorite is a fish done with the lemon-butter caper sauce. They're cash only and do NOT take reservations. I'd go early-ish on a Mon or Tues if you don't want to wait. I usually go give my name and go watch some live music while I'm waiting.

I haven't heard anything bad about any of the cemetery tours, but can't make any tour recommendations.

By the way, if you want to meet up for a coffee or a drink, PM me.

Thanks for the recommendation! I hate waiting so would go early for sure.

I will send you a PM for sure. I love to meet up with people from the board when I travel.

Thanks for the recommendation! I hate waiting so would go early for sure.

I will send you a PM for sure. I love to meet up with people from the board when I travel.

Just went to Adolfo's again, they started taking reservations about 6 months ago. I really need to get out more.

Just went to Adolfo's again, they started taking reservations about 6 months ago. I really need to get out more.

Good to know about reservations at Adolfo's! I'm planning on making mine for Commander's Palace this week as I see they've opened up May for reservations. Then I'll add restaurants from there.

Well I was going to make a thread about going to NO next week, but I see other posters have beat me to it.

Any cool as hell metaphysical stores in New Orleans? I tried Googling, but it let me down when I went to Memphis, so this time I'll try other routes.

I found out I'll be there at the same time Mardi Gras is going on (this is a business trip, tbh). Is traffic going to be bad? Is traffic bad there in general? I'm on a time crunch getting there and getting home already. I'm a total n00b, I've never been to Louisiana so I'm pretty excited to see what's going on down there.

You're gonna be in NO on Mardi Gras for business? You're joking. The place shuts down on Fat Tuesday.

Traffic is hell, and there's no where to park either. But that's true all the time in NO, but on Fat Tuesday it's really true.

You're gonna be in NO on Mardi Gras for business? You're joking. The place shuts down on Fat Tuesday.

Traffic is hell, and there's no where to park either. But that's true all the time in NO, but on Fat Tuesday it's really true.

I heard that elsewhere as well, but thank you for the advice. Like pretty much all humankind, I hate traffic.

I don't know if you are familiar with author Joseph Boyden, but right now he and his wife are living in New Orleans and they recommend a few places to visit. :)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/travel/destinations/joseph-boydens-new-orleans/article17064617/

Thank you!

• 5 weeks later...

Bump.

LittleFinger is coming in tonight. Anyone in New Orleans want to meet up for dinner tomorrow or Thursday?

My Fair Lady, I'm really sorry I missed your visit. Mardi Gras is very busy. I don't think I looked at a computer once.

You CANNOT go to New Orleans and not eat Jambalaya! I had it in a restaurant (can't remember the name) but the best I had was from little stand on Bourbon street.

Had some off to the righthand side (and down a little) from a major bridge leading out of the east side of town once. Cannot recall the name, but it looked a bit like an old house that had been converted into a restaurant. Best Jambalaya I ever had in my life there.

Forgive me, I was passing through on my way from New Mexico to Florida and that restaurant was the last actual part of New Orleans before I hit the bridge out of town... So, I assumed that it was on the east side of town.

Before the twinspans in the East! Aha! I'm now stubbornly determined to find this magic jambalaya joint.

Solo, I'm off work at seven tomorrow. Thinking dinner around 8-830. If eating closer to you makes things easier let us know. I've got a really light day Friday and don't mind driving.

West Bank, East Bank, Uptown, Downtown, Central City, that's NO.

We were just back last month again, but with one exception, taken for lunch at Ralph's on the Park, ate entirely in people's homes -- New Orleans has the strongest sense of hospitality -- which is saying something, considering how strong hospitality is all through the south. Glad more gigs back there are coming up soon.

Archived