What do you think was the saddest moment from each book?

nillingar

AGOT: Bran and Rickon knowing that something awful has happened and then the raven arriving with news of Ned's death.

ACOK: Everything about Luwin's death. First trampled and stabbed whilst trying to reach the injured Theon and then his final moments with Bran and Rickon.

ASOS: Red Wedding

AFFC: "Egg, I dreamed I was old"

ADWD: Everything Theon. Every single moment he appears in the book.

AGOT: That one moment with Robb and Bran...it's so hazy in my memory, but it still sticks around...

ACOK: Poor Shireen.

ASOS: The Red Wedding, of course. And upon rereads, the chapter where Tyrion kills Shae and Tywin feels heartbreaking.

AFFC: Brienne's last two chapters.

ADWD: "No, just scared. I do not want to burn." Poor Quentyn.....

AGOT: Ned's death. i was pretty effected by the death of the honorable fool.

ACOK: Sack of Winterfell and Maester Luwin death.

ASOS: Red Wedding/ or Sansa's nogalistic memories of her, bran, arya snow fighting is a close second

AFFC: there aren't many sad things in this book. Jaime dreaming about is mother comes close

ADWD: I know that most people don't really like Quentyn, but I liked him, and his death was pretty sad.

A Game Of Thrones: King Robert's death (he was my favorite character; only then did I know what sort of hell I was in for by reading this series...)

A Clash Of Kings: Stannis losing his effort to take King's Landing (and I was cheering so fucking hard for him)

A Storm Of Swords: Red Wedding, obviously (this series just beats the hell out of you)

A Feast For Crows: Lady Stoneheart examining Robb's crown.

A Dance With Dragons: Theon admitting that he should have been with Robb, and died with him, at the Red Wedding.

Game- Lady's Death

Clash- Stannis's Defeat at BW

Storm- I wanna say the RV of D's defeat at Ser Gregor's hand but CATELYN'S death pretty much had me bawlin' like a little bitch

Feast- Arya going blind (at the time i thought she would be blind forever)

Dance- when its implied that Jeyne as "Arya" may have been forced into bestiality

AGOT -- Sansa looking at dead Ned's head :(

ACOK -- Luwin D: Also nominating Cressen's death for a scene that got me in the heartplace. His thoughts about Stannis :/

ASOS -- RW. Also Sansa building Winterfell in the snow and Lysa's pathetic demise.

AFFC -- Septon Meribald's speech about going off to war is the only scene in this series that actually moved me to tears. I know, I'm a heartless monster.

ADWD -- Theon begging Roose to not take his clothes. Jchri.

Ok. First time poster btw.

In strange way i would like to add when Cersei remembers when Ned Stark dies when commencing her walk aside the sept of baelor, and the subsequent tragedies, including Ned Robb's - and Joffrey's - death (not much of a disappointment admittedly). I understand that it is from a highborn perspective but i it shows the price of war IMO. Even for a notionally acceptable reason such as House Stark's vengeance or Dany's or Stannis' claim.

Apart from that, Arya's chapter from AFFC about needle.

Honestly every POV with Arya she blames herself for pretty much everything for being scared for not being strong for running away she knows that she is just a child but all she sees is everyone she has every cared for dying.Arya's reunion with Jon better happen super early in the book and he better ruffle her hair and call her his "little sister"

“She went to the window seat and sat there, sniffling, hating them all, and herself most of all. It was all her fault, everything bad that had happened.”

AGOT- Ned dying and even worse, the children's reaction. Also Robb crying in Bran's room as they make plans to meet Jon Snow and Arya blaming herself for Mycah's death.

ACOK-Luwin dying. Honorable mention to this quote:

"The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep and under the ground, the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It's not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I'm not dead either.

ASOS- The Red Wedding especially Cat's "don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair", Arya's line of how she came so far and that she has a whole in her heart where her parents and brothers used to live. Also, when she wargs Nymeria to pull Cat out of the river.

AFFC- Aemon dying, Brienne's not fit to be a son or daughter line, and Arya thoughts when she keeps Needle.

ADWD- Theon wishing he had died with Robb and Bran looking through the Weirwood and trying to talk with him

There are so many sad moments in this series. It's so hard to pick out the ones who stand out most.

AGOT: Ned's Death and everything about it.

ACOK: Maester Luwin's Death.

ASOS: The Red Wedding and everything about it.

AFFC: Maester Aemon's Death.

ADWD: Theon as Reek and the life he's had.

GOT- Jory's death. I personally thought it was sadder than Ned's. I like Ned but I have a hard time feeling sorry for him after he stupidly told Cercei what he new.

COK- Stannis' defeat on The Blackwater, should have all ended that day.

SOS- Red Wedding obviously takes the cake. Red Viper deserves a mention because it would have been no. 1 most of the books.

FFC- Dick Crab's death.

DWD- Lots of sad moments but I have to go with Quentin's death.

Archived