Why do people think Tyrion riding a dragon is "absurd" ?

The mental image isnt one that conjures up badassery. It conjures up Beyond Ridiculous not just because hes a dwarf, but because hes just so ill suited for it. Hes pretty shit on a battlefield but on a dragon? Ummm...lol

This. it doesn't suit his character. Tyrion is clever, good at the game (well most of the time), he's not a warrior.

If Tyrion rides a dragon I will throw my book at the wall. I will surely pick it up again and read on, but not until after some eye rolling and a mini temper tantrum.

Wtf people? How the hell does a dwarf look anymore stupid on a dragon than anyone else? I don't buy that he's a secret Targ either, I don't even like him anymore after Dance, but I don't see how he would look any more silly than anyone else astride a giant lizard. Where's it say that you have to be tall, proportional, or strong to ride a mythical creature?

Stop laughing at the little people!

But that's exactly the point!

In Martin's story eople grow above themselves, doing things no one expected them to, things they are ill suited for. The thirteen year old conqueror may be beyond ridiculous as well.

And I do not care if there is any conventional badassery in it, the badass characters are not those who develop, they come into their world as Indiana Joneses, I want those who do the great stuff not because but despite.....

No. Tyrion's "badassery" lies elsewhere and GRRM has already established this. Every character has their own brand of badassery. Sansa is badass at Politeness Judo, Arya is badass at stealthily murdering, Dany is badass for dragons and conquering, Jon is badass for existing, etc and so forth. Tyrion's badassery lies with his wits. It would be really dumb and actually do more harm than good for his character to plant his ass on a dragon.

No. Tyrion's "badassery" lies elsewhere and GRRM has already established this. Every character has their own brand of badassery. Sansa is badass at Politeness Judo, Arya is badass at stealthily murdering, Dany is badass for dragons and conquering, Jon is badass for existing, etc and so forth. Tyrion's badassery lies with his wits. It would be really dumb and actually do more harm than good for his character to plant his ass on a dragon.

Both of these cracked me up. Especially Sansa's politeness judo.

Agreed. It would come across as "oh Tyrion is the superhero so he can do all the things" (this is also partially why I am super super anti-super magical mystical Targaryen dragon-riding dwarf prince Tyrion). Tyrion's value lies in his non-magical nature, if he can truly morally mature by the end of ASoIaF, he could very well be the king that the 7K needs - non-magical, politically astute, and still possessing faith and love for the higher ideals of love/compassion/justice - but IF AND ONLY IF he does not become some magical dragon-rider.

So far, GRRM has been wonderful at deconstructing classic hero tropes, so I am holding out hope that he won't fail in the last two books.

I think Tyrion may ride a dragon (like how Visenya Targaryen rode with the Lord of the Eyrie), but I don't think he will be a dragonrider, particularly as it looks like the dragons bond with Targaryen/Valyrian blood and I despise the Tyrion Targaryen theory.

That would work for me. I don't have any issue with Dany or another dragon rider taking Tyrion on their dragon.

A lot of the Targaryen dragon riders weren't in great physical shape either. Rhaenerys I wasn't a warrior, but she rode one. And as we know, Tyrion has experience designing saddles. I fail to see how the only character who has actually studied dragons having the know how to subdue them is cliched.

I think Tyrion may ride a dragon (like how Visenya Targaryen rode with the Lord of the Eyrie), but I don't think he will be a dragonrider, particularly as it looks like the dragons bond with Targaryen/Valyrian blood and I despise the Tyrion Targaryen theory.

This is possible. As long as Tyrion isnt a rider (just a passenger), im ok.

Him riding a dragon seems fine, but him being a targaryen is absurd

This. He is def a favored character by the author. His naughty life has some point, otherwise why would he have made it to Mereen? I don't think he will be a "rider" but will play a role. Who knows, maybe he will ride. If he does I hope he is riding Viseryon.

Archived