Daenerys has made some good and bad decisions but the reasoning behind some of them is ridiculous

StannisBamfatheon

I'm doing an ASOS re-read, and the Daenerys chapters give us our first insight into Dany truly being a leader of a large contingency of people. Largely her misadventures in Slaver's Bay go well for her. She gets an army of super-soldiers, her dragons are entering the awkward teenage years, and she conquered three cities. However I don't think there's a character that makes me scratch my head more when it comes to their motives.

For example: Daario has just rolled into the camp with the severed heads of his compatriots, and pledges his service to Daenerys. Jorah warns her against him, saying rightly, that they don't know anything about the guy and should he betray them the battle will be lost. Those are dire consequences, her army, who she's counting on to (ostensibly) help her reclaim the Iron Throne routed and heavily bloodied would be a disaster. Daenerys....however replies with one of the most incredible quotes in all of ASOIAF to Jorah.

Jorah: we know nothing of this man

Daenerys: We know that he is a great figher

Jorah: We know that he is a great talker (zing!)

Daenerys: He brings us the stormcrows. And he has blue eyes.

*#(@*(&#!!!! Really?!? That is your reasoning for trusting Daario? Sure he could betray our cause and leave me ruined or dead, but he's so dreamy!

COME ON Daenerys! If you're going to rule a kingdom and lead people into war how in the hell can you make decisions like these based on reasons like that? It's insane.

If Dany's ever to succeed she needs to be far more objective/analytical when it comes to making decisions/critical thinking and not let her emotions get in the way (i.e. crucifying random slavers because she felt bad about the children, trusting daario because he's a cutie, etc....)

Interestingly in ADWD, she makes a similar error;

Brown Ben had a seamed and weathered face, skin the color of old teak, white hair, and wrinkles at the corners of his eyes. Dany was so pleased to see his leathery brown face that she hugged him. His eyes crinkled in amusement.

Whereas Tyrion, a bit less naive, sees the truth pretty quickly.

Tyrion won the first game. Plumm took the second, for double the stakes. As they set up for their third contest, the dwarf studied his opponent. Brown-skinned, his cheeks and jaw covered by a close-cropped bristly beard of grey and white, his face creased by a thousand wrinkles and a few old scars, Plumm had an amiable look to him, especially when he smiled. The faithful retainer, Tyrion decided. Every man’s favorite nuncle, full of chuckles and old sayings and roughspun wisdom. It was all sham. Those smiles never touched Plumm’s eyes, where greed hid behind a veil of caution. Hungry, but wary, this one.

You forgot to include the rest of the convo:

"Five hundred sellswords of uncertain loyalty."

"All loyalties are uncertain in such times as these," Dany reminded him. And I shall be betrayed twice more, once for gold and once for love.

I think that it's almost ridiculous to claim that the only reason that Dany decided to make use of Daario is because she found him attractive.

"All loyalties are uncertain in such times as these," Dany reminded him. And I shall be betrayed twice more, once for gold and once for love.

I think that it's almost ridiculous to claim that the only reason that Dany decided to make use of Daario is because she found him attractive.

Oh good, I've still got two betrayals coming so I might as well get one outta the way during a battle where thousands could die including myself. Gold Star to Daenerys for her bravery and critical thinking.

Yeah, umm, im not sure what this quote proves? All mes loyalty is uncertain, soooooo i should rely on this guy?

Oh good, I've still got two betrayals coming so I might as well get one outta the way during a battle where thousands could die including myself. Gold Star to Daenerys for her bravery and critical thinking.

The main reason that she decided to make use of Daario is because he brings the Stormcrows with him, and her reasoning behind trusting him is that all loyalties are uncertain, which is true. I do agree, however, that Dany is a very naive person.

Didn't you not just make a thread calling Jon and Aegon brats? Raven calling the crow black, no?

Oh those are quite rare

I didn't mean to be rude

it's just that a lot of Daenerys hate threads are coming one after another and I took this opportunity to let out my frustration out, I'm sorry

Archived