Textual evidence for the end of the Freys,and possibly the 7 kingdoms itself.

Lord Vitiate

To clarify, the hints I have found indicate the ERADICATION of house Frey...and perhaps Westeros itself.

To begin, Sansa's Reflection on the clouds: Chapter 59 ASOS (KEEP THE CHAPTER NUMBER IN MIND).

There were clouds massing in the eastern sky, pierced by shafts of sunlight. They look like two huge castles afloat in the morning light. Sansa could see their walls of tumbled stone, their mighty keeps and barbicans. Wispy banners swirled from atop their towers and reached for the fast-fading stars. The sun was coming up behind them, and she watched them go from black to grey to a thousand shades of rose and gold and crimson. Soon the wind mushed them together, and there was only one castle where there had been two.

"Come see," she told them. "There's a castle in the sky."

They came to have a look. "It's made of gold." Shae had dark shirt hair and bold eyes. She did all that was asked of her, but sometimes she gave Sansa the most insolent looks. "A castle all of gold, there's a sight I'd like to see."

"A castle is it?" Brella had to squint. "That tower's tumbling over, looks like. It's all ruins, that is."

Ok, now to Parse: REMEMBER THIS

-Walls of tumbled Stone---- Everything is made of Smooth Stone, this occurs naturally with GREAT age OR from erosion, water...perhaps. Remember Moat Cailian is thousands of years old but is STILL roughly hewn.

-Mighty Keeps-------Multiple Keeps, which are all LARGE, not some old holdfast.

-Barbicans--------armored gatehouses, typically over water, remember MULTIPLE ones, I can only find ONE other place in the books where Barbicans are listed....we will get to that in a second.

-The sun----------Was coming UP, BEHIND the castle. This tells us that the FRONT of the castle was pointing to the West, and the pack faces EAST ward, as the sun rises in the east.

Now the color Change (this is MUCHO awesome)

-Black To Grey

-'Grey' to a 'Thousand shades of Rose and Gold and Crimson'

-Only One castle Where there were once Two (Colors likely the same)

- Changes to GOLD

-Goes to RUIN

REMEMBER THIS STUFF, I will reveal it all in a couple of seconds--

Now I am going to pull a quote from chapter 59 of Game of thrones(Same number as in ASOS...coincedince ;)?:

"High curtain walls, deep moats, and heavy oak-and-iron gates protected the approaches, the bridge footings rose from within stout inner keeps, there was a barbican and portcullis on either bank, and the Water Tower defended the span itself."

Oh, and this is the description of the TWINS, held by house FREY.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with this in mind, I think we can start to compare these castles.

The Tumbled stone----------Explained by having a castle ON a large river

Mighty Keeps----------The passage from GOT specifically mentions this

Barbicans--------------This is the ONLY mention of them I can find in all of the ASOIAF books, right at the twins. This is also notable as there are MULTIPLE barbicans, in a typical castle with a moat you ONLY build one. Having multiple substantially weakens the castle with that in mind only a bridge/castle is likely to have 2.

THE SUN------------ The most substantial evidence. having the front on the west and the back on the east makes it likely GRRM very much wants the vision to be prophetic. The side AWAY from the sun IS on the west bank (if the sun is rising). With the other end being eastward.

The map on this page shows that.

The twins would see the sun rise from the east, or the BACK.....JUST like in the vision.

Color Changes:

Now that I have demonstrated some possible connections between the cloud and the twins, we shall look at the colors;

Black to Grey

-In my opinion, this shows that at first the castles HAVE no obligation to another (they are undeclared). But then they switch to GREY.......The colors of house STARK.

-The switch from Grey to a 'Thousand shades of Rose and Gold and Crimson'. The Castles switch from Stark to houses with ROSE, and Gold with Crimson, These colors could also be seen as the houses Bolton (Rose for the flayed man), Tyrell (a golden rose), and the CRIMSON (NOT 'red') of the LANNISTERS.

'NOW'

Speculation

First we have the 2 castles changing to ONE. This is the trickiest but in-keeping with the metaphors perhaps at this point the House is SO over extended that they house themselves ONLY in the WATER tower....this might be due to the extinguishing of the scions of the house.....perhaps from lady stone-heart.

next we have a banner of SOLID GOLD.

the ONLY banners described as gold are that of the GOLDEN COMPANY.....The Freys MAY switch to Aegon, Indicating that he will likely gain a MAJOR foothold across the south. Note that the combining into one tower previously indicates a potential weakening.

-LASTLY

The tower is seen as crumbling into ruins.

From this we can see that the house and possibly the castle fall into ruination. Perhaps, due to attack.....maybe even from THE OTHERS.

I think that at this stage Aegon will have gained control of a LARGE part of the south, maybe up to the Neck...with the fall of the house, and its castles, the others would have a clear shot to.....the TRIDENT.

Perhaps Dany's dream of fighting ice beings will come about.....Literally.

Please Comment, I would love to edit if necessary.

Sorry for any typos.

TL'DR: It was an awesome post....Guess you should of read it ;).

Sounds enough like foreshadowing to me. I just hope Lord Walder doesn't die of old age, but haven't seen anything that foreshadows his death.

I think he will be the last Frey remaining, meaning he will retreat to his single keep...and then die when the Others sweep through, fitting.

Sounds enough like foreshadowing to me. I just hope Lord Walder doesn't die of old age, but haven't seen anything that foreshadows his death.

The fact that House Frey is climbing the social ladder and a lot of stuff is going right for them and has been for a while

The fact that House Frey is climbing the social ladder and a lot of stuff is going right for them and has been for a while

I wouldn't say House Frey has climbed the social ladder at all. They basically did Tywin Lannisters dirty work because they were slighted by Robb Stark. Granted they had every reason to be upset but they took it to an extreme and broke arguably the most sacred tradition/rule in Westeros. This has made them social pariahs more than anything. The smallfolk and the nobles of Westeros dispise them for the Red Wedding, and their "allies" the Lannisters are looking for a way to distance themselves from them ASAP, in order to blame someone within House Frey for the Red Wedding, they are just waiting for Walder to die because they know he will not sell out any of his family, and will wait for the new Lord of the Crossing to sell out some of his relatives to put the publics mind at ease. They are in a worse position then they were before the Red Wedding, Walder had problems marrying off his offspring before, well now he has even less of a chance as no one with any standing wants to be associated with them, they basically became Lannister, and to a lesser extent, Bolton patsies.

I'm no good at finding links, I apologize. I just remember reading it on here that Sansa's cloud vision foreshadows the fall of the Freys. I think it was just a foreshadowing thread where people were throwing out all sorts of things out there. You pulled out a map though and checked which way the sun rises so I thank you!

From Sansa's Chapter, a Storm of Swords

So, two towers... when the sun rises they change colors from "black" to "grey" to "rose, gold, and crimson." Then they crash together leaving one castle, "made of gold." Then it tumbles over all in ruins.

Could this be a description of the Twins and House Frey? While I don't know whose colors are "black," grey is a color of House Stark. House Frey side with Robb Stark, before the Red Wedding. And then sided with Tywin Lannister, whose colors are crimson and gold (not sure about 'rose').

The remaining description might be the fate of the Twins, destroyed and left with one standing, before it to is ruined.

Also, has anyone ever thought of the fate of Ice as a portent of things to come? Ice was the ancestral sword of House Stark, taken by Tywin Lannister it was forged into two blades and given a new coloring, it was suppose to be crimson but ended up as 'waves of night and blood upon a steely shore.'

I found this in moments of forshadowing 5, but it only addresses half of the quote. SO...I still claim this theory as my own :).

The sun was coming upbehind them, and she watched them go from black to grey to athousand shades of rose and gold and crimson.

Black= House Blackfyre / Freys support house Blackfyre- Walder Frey was actually at the second Blackfyre rebellion only 4 years old but still there. Not sure if Freys betray House Blackfyre

Grey= House Stark / Freys support the Starks then betrayed them -

Thousands shades of rose gold and crimson= House's Tyrell and Lannister /

The sun was coming upbehind them, and she watched them go from black to grey to athousand shades of rose and gold and crimson.

Black= House Blackfyre

Grey= House Stark

Thousands shades of rose gold and crimson= House's Tyrell and Lannister

I don't understand, are you still attributing this to the freys?

-If so, why would they be blackfyre supporters?

-and what about the rose color? The Tyrells are Gold on verdant, the Lannisters are Gold on Crimson, the Rose would likely be a color as well, not a rose.

BTW I determined the houses by remembering what other people call those of that house. For instance:

Lannisters -are known as Lannister Crimson

Tyrells -are often called Roses, which are golden on their sigil.

Boltons -are pink as that is the color of their flayed man.

Just demonstrating the Thought process, I would still like clarification of your post.

I don't understand, are you still attributing this to the freys?

-If so, why would they be blackfyre supporters?

-and what about the rose color? The Tyrells are Gold on verdant, the Lannisters are Gold on Crimson, the Rose would likely be a color as well, not a rose.

BTW I determined the houses by remembering what other people call those of that house. For instance:

Lannisters -are known as Lannister Crimson

Tyrells -are often called Roses, which are golden on their sigil.

Boltons -are pink as that is the color of their flayed man.

Just demonstrating the Thought process, I would still like clarification of your post.

When Lord Bloodraven put a stop to the Second Blackfyre rebellion Walder Frey is mentioned as being present. House Frey and Butterwell where being married as a front to get Lords together.

When Lord Bloodraven put a stop to the Second Blackfyre rebellion Walder Frey is mentioned as being present. House Frey and Butterwell where being married as a front to get Lords together.

That was over 100 years before the events of ASOIAF, I don't think the vision would pertain to something so far back in the past.

IMO, The black referred to the absence of colors (Or Loyalty), with the banner-hopping that follows being just the same thing....the freys are less than fair weather allies.

Archived