Am I the only one who thinks that Catelyn Stark POV's are boring?

Hodoris

• 2 weeks later...

Catelyn's chapters are probably the most riveting ones. Not only do we learn a lot about the Northeners and their perception of war, they are so well written that reveal incredible depth of a character who cannot actually fight, and yet she is pivotal to any decision making about battles.

If you contradict them later to

Cersei's chapters

you get two polar opposite personalities.

Hm...Catelyn's POV are strange. Some times they are A-W-E-S-O-M-E and very interesting (i would say examples but i'm afraid i will spoil since we're in AGOT section) , but some other times they're boring. That's why when i see her name on titles i dislike it and can't wait for Tyrion,Jon (even Arya!) and Bran chapters...

I feel sympathy but at the same time she frustrates me cause she (like her daughter Sansa) are moaning all the time. I must tell thought , she's a strong woman and i don't hate her character.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I hear you. The Cat POVs tend to be pretty descriptive, which can get a bit tedious. And I know how much she's feeling, but I can't help but get irritated when her hundreds and thousands of sadness-thoughts come pouring out. The only reason she is interesting is because she is the only Northern war informant whose info is accurate. I think I like her for Robb and his bannermen, that's it really.

• 2 weeks later...

*shrugs* I enjoyed her POVs. Very rare in fantasy where you have a point of view told from a mother of five children.

I can see why people dislike her POVs/character though; it took me a while to warm up to her character. Now I consider Cat one of the best characters of the series.

I agree she's one of the best characters, but at the same i HATED her chapters. The constant fretting and grieving and ruminating, misery and stress ugh it was torture at times. Part of it i think was grrms placement of her chapters as kind of a winding down after something exciting happens. But theres one huge exception which was perhaps the most riveting chapter I've ever read in any book, won't name it here but you know if you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Catelyn's chapters actually turned out to be some of my favorites--I always was a sucker for mother figure characters (Fantine anybody?), plus it was real cool to have an outsiders perspective on The North. It was also nice to have a more emotional pillar amongst all the 'carnage and intrigue' chapters, a bit of a breather for more character development and lore expanding. And yes, I just love Catelyn as a character; she's practically my own mother incarnate, which certianly helps!

But to each his own, I suppose. We all have our favorites and--well, not-favorites. :bang:

Hm...Catelyn's POV are strange. Some times they are A-W-E-S-O-M-E and very interesting (i would say examples but i'm afraid i will spoil since we're in AGOT section) , but some other times they're boring. That's why when i see her name on titles i dislike it and can't wait for Tyrion,Jon (even Arya!) and Bran chapters...

I feel sympathy but at the same time she frustrates me cause she (like her daughter Sansa) are moaning all the time. I must tell thought , she's a strong woman and i don't hate her character.

You have a very strange definition of "moaning". Moaning means that they're complaining to other people. Both Cat and Sansa do the exact opposite - they are always keeping it all inside. Or maybe they aren't allowed to be unhappy about having awful things happen to them, like losing their family members or being abused? Heck, Sansa is actually the kind of person who's always trying to see the glass half full...

Funny that you name Tyrion's chapters as your favorite - if anyone is "moaning" per your definition (i.e. thinking about the injustices done to them and feeling sorry for themselves), it's Tyrion. Your second favorite is Jon, who is also a rather miserable figure, and tends to feel sorry for himself over his bastard status. Double standard much?

Some PoVs are defined by their internal narrative, which can hold up entire chapters by itself if the character is interesting enough. I think nearly everyone considers Tyrion's chapters to be in this category, along with their personal favorites.

Others, like Cateyn's (in my opinion), are more about the events that happen around them. I recall her GoT chapters being kind of boring, but:

She is the main (actually, pretty much the only) perspective we get on the Stark/Tully side of the WotFK, and as that conflict ends, her character goes in a very... interesting direction.

Nope, her POV's are interesting and some are awesome especially the ones in which

Summer saves Bran and Catelyn and Catelyn meets Robb after a long time

But I really dont like her, she is not as smart as she thinks she is and is short sighted and she really didnt think about the repurcussions when she kidnapped Tyrion.Also, why does she hate Jon Snow, its not his mistake that Ned fucked someone else, the hatered she has and expresses towards him is not justified.She should confront Ned and not Jon.

Archived