Why do people like Stannis?

JesusFTW

No where in my post do i bring this issue up at all.

Nowhere, I agree, but it was mentioned above. Another argument that I've read a lot is that Stannis is "the guy for the job", he gets things done. Well, so did Tywin. A skilled ruler. Also an asshole.

At first I liked Stannis but wasn't a diehard fan like I am now.

Then I saw how incredibly illogical Stannis hate was and it just helped convince me that this is the dude who nobody expected to get this far, who stole the spotlight from those everyone thought were the series' main thing, the guy who was right in so many ways yet got hated just because he wasn't flashy or funny or anything.

Then I saw how incredibly illogical Stannis hate was and it just helped convince me that this is the dude who nobody expected to get this far, who stole the spotlight from those everyone thought were the series' main thing, the guy who was right in so many ways yet got hated just because he wasn't flashy or funny or anything.

This guy gets it

I actually don't even want to argue he should not be liked - but I think adoring him is a lot more "illogical" than at least being critical of him. Anyway, fruitless discussion, I know. My fear is, though, that the last books are gonna do things to him that will make his fans suffer ...

I actually don't even want to argue he should not be liked - but I think adoring him is a lot more "illogical" than at least being critical of him. Anyway, fruitless discussion, I know. My fear is, though, that the last books are gonna do things to him that will make his fans suffer ...

Stannis makes the fans of other characters suffer... You will learn this before the end.

It isn't illogical especially when his fans like myself give loads of reasons for liking him. Reasons which get ignored. Stannis hate is the most illogical hate of any figure, book character or real life, I have seen.

There are reasons to dislike him, indeed, but they never get mentioned. It's always the silly stuff. 'How could he kill Renly' 'why didn't he go to the Wall during the second book' (the latter made me facepalm IRL). Nobody mentions a good reason for disliking him. It's all illogical and shows that their dislike of him stems more from the nature of his fans who are seen as extreme.

There was a Stannis Quotes thread once, and I saw loads of Stannis haters go in there and say 'wow I didn't know he ever said that!'. Looks like someone's been criticizing a character they didn't bother reading properly.

It isn't illogical especially when his fans like myself give loads of reasons for liking him. Reasons which get ignored. Stannis hate is the most illogical hate of any figure, book character or real life, I have seen.

There are reasons to dislike him, indeed, but they never get mentioned. It's always the silly stuff. 'How could he kill Renly' 'why didn't he go to the Wall during the second book' (the latter made me facepalm IRL). Nobody mentions a good reason for disliking him. It's all illogical and shows that their dislike of him stems more from the nature of his fans who are seen as extreme.

There was a Stannis Quotes thread once, and I saw loads of Stannis haters go in there and say 'wow I didn't know he ever said that!'. Looks like someone's been criticizing a character they didn't bother reading properly.

Fair enough, I actually plan to be more open-minded about him when reading the books again. I also don't hate him, I just don't like him - not the same. And as far as reasons not to like him are concerned, I posted some in this thread. The answer I got was more or less "He is better than all the others because he doesn't allow pillaging and raping, and other people also make bad decisions, so shut up". Eh ... okay. I was ready to be convinced, but this guy did kind of the opposite. I'd love to read the thread you mentioned, I'm totally open to see him in a different light. But based on arguments, not on "he's soooo BAMF, yo!".

Anyway, thanks for answering!

Archived