What if Robert legitimized his bastards?

I was thinking, what if Ned told Robert on his deathbed that Cersei's children were fathered by the Kingslayer? The most likely outcome is that Robert has a heart attack before he can do anything ( :P ) but lets assume that he has enough strength to tell Ned to bring the Kingsguard and the Small Council in. Ned sensing he will order the deaths of Cersei and the children asks him not to harm the children, but Robert orders him to be quick because he's dying.

The Kingsguard and the small arrive and I guess Cersei could come in too. Robert orders the execution of Cersei and Jaime and declares that their children have no rights to the throne. Then he goes ahead to legitimize the bastards he knows of: Mya Stone, Edric Storm and Barra. Ned mentions the smith's apprentice named Gendry and claims that he's a good lad. Robert agrees to legitimize him too. He then dies.

What happens afterwards?

My first guess is that the Kingsguard immediately arrests Cersei and she is executed. Gendry is the oldest legitimized Baratheon so he becomes King with Ned as his Hand. Gendry is very stubborn but he's also not fond of the nobles. Do the other former bastards come to King's Landing?

How do the Lannisters react? Do they have a chance?

I just wanted to hear what everyone thinks.

That would open up a whole new can of bullshit and would essentially be Robert saying "screw you" to Westeros. Cersei would probably just kill them all but still, would make the story a whole lot more complex.

But what if the Kingsguard and Cersei were there while Robert was making the announcement? Wouldn't she be arrested and executed? I started the thread after reading about how Aegon the Unworthy legitimized his bastards on his deathbed.

I was thinking, what if Ned told Robert on his deathbed that Cersei's children were fathered by the Kingslayer? The most likely outcome is that Robert has a heart attack before he can do anything ( :P ) but lets assume that he has enough strength to tell Ned to bring the Kingsguard and the Small Council in. Ned sensing he will order the deaths of Cersei and the children asks him not to harm the children, but Robert orders him to be quick because he's dying.

The Kingsguard and the small arrive and I guess Cersei could come in too. Robert orders the execution of Cersei and Jaime and declares that their children have no rights to the throne. Then he goes ahead to legitimize the bastards he knows of: Mya Stone, Edric Storm and Barra. Ned mentions the smith's apprentice named Gendry and claims that he's a good lad. Robert agrees to legitimize him too. He then dies.

What happens afterwards?

My first guess is that the Kingsguard immediately arrests Cersei and she is executed. Gendry is the oldest legitimized Baratheon so he becomes King with Ned as his Hand. Gendry is very stubborn but he's also not fond of the nobles. Do the other former bastards come to King's Landing?

Have you heard about the Blackfyre rebellion?

He probably would only legitimize Edric Storm since he was the only bastard Robert officially recognized. Of course Cersei would have to be almost immediately executed for Edric to have a chance at surviving any of this, he would still have to deal with Tywin.

He probably would only legitimize Edric Storm since he was the only bastard Robert officially recognized. Of course Cersei would have to be almost immediately executed for Edric to have a chance at surviving any of this, he would still have to deal with Tywin.

He wanted to bring Mya to King's Landing a long time ago so I'm guessing he would legitimize her. And Gendry too after Ned tells him he's a good lad. And Barra since him and Ned had already talked about her. What I'm saying is that he legitimizes them out of guilt for not being a true father to them and anger at Cersei.

Plus Robbert would know the whole Blackfyre history, and unless he just wanted to send the world to hell with his death I think at best he would have only legitimized Edric, or possibly just tell the KG that Stannis is his heir let him have the throne and deal with the heirs. Wow, how many fans would that have thrilled. :)

What happens afterwards?

I'm pretty sure that mya stone is Roberts oldest bastard. didn't he father her while he was still living in the vale?

Archived