Am I the only one that doesn't see Jon trying to take the throne?

zeppelincheetah

I don't understand why you think just because the first one was between a man and a woman, the second one should be. Also I don't see why Dany and Aegon won't team up against Jon, especially if she's convinced that Jon's the mummer's dragon.

1. Well, it is common that dancing partners have different genders.

2. I think people expect Dany to fight Aegon because that would be the most irrational and generally wrong thing to do. Irrational, wrong - Dany in a nutshell.

3. There are so many strong factors that speak against Jon becoming claimant to the IT, that it seems that this is exactly where Martin would take us after a couple of plot twists. After what he has done to us in Mereen, I am prepared for the worst.

4. Why do you want a DwD2.0 ? A book called ADwD has already been released, move on!

I can't believe that while to plot obviously is beginning to lean more towards magic, people are still so excited about the struggle for the IT, while after 5 it has been established that the only thing its holder gains is control of the crownlands, which are only still populated because the Tyrells provide food.

I don't understand why you think just because the first one was between a man and a woman, the second one should be. Also I don't see why Dany and Aegon won't team up against Jon, especially if she's convinced that Jon's the mummer's dragon.

Honestly how dull would it be if the true Targ heirs joined forces and destroyed the fake? I'd rather have a plot which has readers screaming at the pages telling Dany she's making a mistake

Connections aren't evidence of any kind. I never said Jon and Dany would join forces to defeat Aegon, otherwise it doesn't look like you checked out the link I gave you. We will get to the point to telling Dany she is making a mistake by going to war against the North and Rickon.

1. Well, it is common that dancing partners have different genders.

That is also the case. If there is to be a second Dance, it will be between a man and a woman like the first. GRRM provides clues in the history given.

No one knows Jon's heritage except for HR, Wylla and possibly BR, and Jon is at the Wall, not pressing any claim to the IT. Dany has no reason to bother him ATM. While Aegon has an army and Dany also has an army and dragons, while Jon can hardly command any adequate military strength, so the dance is more likely to be between Aegon and Dany.

2. I think people expect Dany to fight Aegon because that would be the most irrational and generally wrong thing to do. Irrational, wrong - Dany in a nutshell.

But would her advisors e.g. Tyrion, Jorah, Barristan let her? I know she's irrational but I also know she's still willing to listen to good advice, so if they tell her no she would listen :dunno:

I've always liked the idea of Dany allying with the fake to fight off the real Targaryen, because she thinks he's the mummer's dragon. Helluva lot more interesting and would mean hearing screaming fans telling her she's making a mistake :P

4. Why do you want a DwD2.0 ? A book called ADwD has already been released, move on!

I don't want DwD 2.0 :o I was just saying that if there is one, wouldn't it make more sense that Dany and/or Aegon would try and kill Jon for committing treason :dunno:

Also, who knows, maybe he gets tired of the cold, all the stabbing, the crazy Queen's men and wildlings at the wall, mounts Ghost and rides to Kings Landing, whre the people welcome him because he's awesome. That's how Dany would have done it. As I said, after Mereen we should be prepared for the worst.

I can see Jon being offered the Iron Throne at the end of the series only to refuse it.

Personally, in my opinion he will feel duty bound to take Iron Throne. I believe it's part of his character development that seperates Jon Snow from other claimants to the Iron Throne like Dany and Stannis. Dany and Stannis feel it's their right to claim Iron Throne and is fighting to claim it as their own. Jon Snow who has the best claim to the Iron Throne as a trueborn son of Rhaegar, has not and will not use that to claim Iron Throne, rather he will be motivated by sense of honor and duty to accept Iron Throne just as he accepted the role of Lord Commander of Nightwatch.

Personally, in my opinion he will feel duty bound to take Iron Throne. I believe it's part of his character development that seperates Jon Snow from other claimants to the Iron Throne like Dany and Stannis. Dany and Stannis feel it's their right to claim Iron Throne and is fighting to claim it as their own. Jon Snow who has the best claim to the Iron Throne as a trueborn son of Rhaegar, has not and will not use that to claim Iron Throne, rather he will be motivated by sense of honor and duty to accept Iron Throne just as he accepted the role of Lord Commander of Nightwatch.

Correction Jon doesn't have the best claim to the throne, It is Stannis, the Baratheons are the new royal family.

I don't think he will ever sit on the IT because: A- He wouldn't want to, B- He might die before he even gets the chance to and C- It is very possible that the IT might not even exist in the end.

As someone who really likes Jon, I do not want to see him on the IT. Whatever he needs to will be done in the North.

Correction Jon doesn't have the best claim to the throne, It is Stannis, the Baratheons are the new royal family.

Exactly!

Jon can't say "I'm Rhaegar's son" and expect people to step aside for him. The Targs lost it through conquest and they have to get it back through conquest; they have no actual claim.

Exactly!

Jon can't say "I'm Rhaegar's son" and expect people to step aside for him. The Targs lost it through conquest and they have to get it back through conquest; they have no actual claim.

You know, I actually agree with you on that one. I don't think Jon would do that anyway.

Exactly!

The Targaryens built the throne, so symbolically they will always have the claim in a world where things like blood claims matter. And they do matter, even Tywin points this out when telling Tyrion that his son by Sansa will get Winterfell. Why not just give it any old loyalist? Who the hell would fight them after the Red Wedding?

Stannis also lost it through conquest in BoBWB. He's not the heir by the same logic, he's now on the same scale as Viserys, only much more intelligent and successful

No mate, I'm with ya' all the way...I don't want to see him on the IT, for him to become KitN...heck, if he has to be king, let him be king of snow...let him command the frosty winter to do his bidding. But sadly, both the R+L=J and Conspiracy theories seem to be extremely popular on this thread and I'm just hoping that it doesn't entitle him to kingly status.

]I don't think he will ever sit on the IT because: A- He wouldn't want to

This might be an argument in the real world, but not in ASOIAF, where the surest and easiest way to ensure that you get something is to have no interest in it whatsoever, or to want the opposite of it. In the topsy-turvy world of ASOIAF, where characters never get what they want, have responsibilities thrust on them that they never asked for, and are thwarted from achieving their heart's desire at every turn, the fact that Jon would likely have absolutely no interest in the Iron Throne means that he's that much more likely to be the one occupying it. The ones who've been vying for the Iron Throne over the past five books either have been or will be taken out of the running, I expect.

B- He might die before he even gets the chance to and C- It is very possible that the IT might not even exist in the end.

These are both good points, however.

Even if he finds out about his parentage I doubt he will press his claim, only if we see a new Jon in the next books, or someone presses his claim for him.

Also there is the point on westeros believing this claim in a middle of a war for the same exact throne.

Even if he finds out about his parentage I doubt he will press his claim, only if we see a new Jon in the next books, or someone presses his claim for him.

You know I have two theories that could possibly happen:

1. When Jon's resurrected he's darker, more sinister and a lot more ruthless. He'll take the title of KitN from Rickon and he'd use the army to get the IT from Aegon.

2. LF (somehow) finds out about R+L=J and uses it to create more havoc and ruin Varys' plans. The main problem with this though is the fact that he's too invested in Sansa and King Jon is too big of a risk.

If, as suspected, it turns out that R+L=J, then what will be the point of this, if he will have no connection whatsoever to the iron throne?

Jon could have become KitN if he had accepted Robb's will and so R+L=J would have been redundant for this purpose anyway. Likewise, Jon need not necessarily be the son of some royal crown prince to become AAR either - equally cliched would be the notion of an illegitimate boy from a noble family who overcomes all the odds to become some heroic warrior who saves the realm and possibly sacrifices his own life in the process thus becoming the stuff of legends.

However, there is undeniable foreshadowing of R+L=J (although I concede that there is a possibility that GRRM will choose an alternate theory for his parentage) - and if this theory turns out to be true, then what is the point of it, if it bears no connection whatsoever to the Iron Throne?

I agree with Newstar - Jon is the least likely candidate at this point in the story and the most likely to see the Throne as a burden and accept it out of duty, rather than some entitled notion of privilege and right, which makes me think that he will be the one occupying it by the end.

Also, provided there is an IT at the end, the one holding it will need to be able to hold the North and the South. This is after all, a balance, or a song if you will of ice and fire. I think ice and fire symbolises many different things, not least the battle between the Others (very possibly against the dragons), Stark and Targeryan heritage (if R+L=J), and direwolves and dragons. Incidentally, I also think it may be an allegory for North and South. People are forgetting that it is notoriously difficult to hold North and South - it is one of the reasons for the war.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dany could not hold the North. Given his family's history of burning two prominent Stark men, I doubt that Aegon could either. Remember: the North remembers..

Stannis might have a fair-ish shot but if Jon can prove R+L=J, I think he could well hold North and South.

I somehow doubt it will be possible for the seven kingdoms to be held together , or at least not ruled by one person from one place . Not for the duration of winter, anyway.

At the time of the conquest, the Others would already have been relegated to the realm of legend , and the wildlings seen as the adversary.. and I think the conquest itself was the final nail in the coffin of any hope of support for the NW from the kingdoms... it also rendered a lot of the additions to the oath ,that may have been politically reasonable when there were 7 actual kngdoms, pretty pointless..So the whole idea of the IT will need a shake up , too.

Archived