Christian discussion: Everyone welcome, but please respect the intent of the thread

MisterOJ

As I was sitting in church today I wondered what your favorite hymns are. Mine are Amazing Grace and the Peace Prayer of St. Francis. What are yours?

I adore Amazing Grace, The Unclouded Day, and I Saw the Light, but my favorite that I sing in my head when I'm afraid or worried is this one,

Hey Scot, saw something interesting this weekend - an Ethiopian Orthodox church. Are they the same as you, or related but different (like the Russian Orthodox, the boyfriend says they have a different patriarch in Moscow), or something else altogether?

Eponine,

Not sure, "Eastern Orthodox" churches all share the same theology and are in communion with each other. I can take communion at any "Eastern Orthodox" chruch be it Russian, Greek, Bulgarian, Antiochian, Ukranian, Serbian... etc regardless of the political. Structure of that church. If the Ethopian Orthodox are in communion with us the same is true, but, I believe they are Nestorians and as such out of communion.

Just checked, they split away from the (then) Unified (Orthodox and Roman Catholic) Church after the 451 Council of Chalcidone over a disagreement about the dual nature of Christ wholely human and wholely God in one body. They said Christ had to be a blend of the two aspects that were then unified, not divided.

Wow, great thread everyone. I enjoyed skimming it.

This is a moving

. I get choked up whenever I hear it.

My favorite version of Amazing Grace is always through bagpipes. It's awesome. I used to attend geology field trips around the west coast (CA and four corners), and one of our guys would start at dawn with bagpipes playing that song. Was always funny and horrifying waking up to that.

As a non-Christian devotee of American hymnody, the definitive version of "Amazing Grace" will always be for me the one that echoes from the

of The Sacred Harp, a tunebook in continuous use since 1844.

Some other favorites from that tradition are the fuguing tunes Morning Prayer, with its driving minor harmonies, and

, with its madcap juxtaposition of a rollicking major tune and a text that waxes about one's sparkling eyes and blooming cheeks withering like the blasted rose.

If you've ever seen Cold Mountain, you've heard this type of music before. And if you ever get a chance to attend a Sacred Harp singing, jump at the chance. There are regularly scheduled singings across the United States and the United Kingdom, and everyone is welcome to participate regardless of religious creed or musical ability. A good singing can truly make the hairs on your neck stand on end.

Orthodoxy is a little different from Western Chrisendom one music in that all our hymns are sung acapella. The hymns for the service right before Pascha (Easter) are among my favorites.

I would love to hear any recordings you might recommend.

As a non-Christian devotee of American hymnody, the definitive version of "Amazing Grace" will always be for me the one that echoes from the

of The Sacred Harp, a tunebook in continuous use since 1844.

Some other favorites from that tradition are the early twentieth century fuguing tunes Morning Prayer, with its driving minor harmonies, and

, with its madcap juxtaposition of a rollicking major tune and a text that waxes about one's sparkling eyes and blooming cheeks withering like the blasted rose.

If you've ever seen Cold Mountain, you've heard this type of music before. And if you ever get a chance to attend a Sacred Harp singing, jump at the chance. There are regularly scheduled singings across the United States and the United Kingdom, and everyone is welcome to participate regardless of religious creed or musical ability. A good singing can truly make the hairs on your neck stand on end.

I would love to hear any recordings you might recommend.

Wow, that is weird. I just popped in to see what this thread is about even though I do not consider myself religious. However, I grew up singing in church and have always been attracted to singing religious music of various kinds. I started singing Sacred Harp a few years ago and just went to an all-day singing yesterday and was literally just about to post the same exact thing about Amazing Grace. It's weird; I can completely disagree with all the words I sing but I still like the feeling of singing the music. My favorites are

and
(the second link is me leading :D)

I was raised RCC, went to catholic primary school and high school and was an altar boy for a year or two. I have a distinct memory of being in church one Sunday when I was 10 or so and being struck by an urge to yell out "this is bullshit" (I didn't even swear at all yet, so that alone really stands out in my memory) and that was the day by capacity to feel faith died. I spent the next few years pretending otherwise, but when the priest my mother and I were going to was excommunicated for being too progressive on gender lines that was the end of it for me.

After that I picked up a pretty negative view of religion, although a couple of years ago I figured out it was in part projecting my dissatisfaction with my father's emotional distance onto religion, as I blamed it for him being like that. Having this issue wasn't even fair as the problem was more me rejecting him as a means of rejecting the male in myself, I've worked out the relationship with him now and apologised for having done this.

Regardless though, I do not seem to have the capacity in me for faith, nor do I feel any lack from it, I find the meaning and fulfilment that many get from religion from myself and my friends/family.

That said my Dad taught me as a child that the most important parts of the bible are "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "love thy neighbour as thyself". Despite leaving the religious justification for these behind, they have remained guiding principles in my life and are the reason I feel I can judge myself a good person, so I will forever be grateful to him for emphasising those lessons.

I hope this doesn't read as an attack on religion or outside what you are looking for in this thread MOJ. We all have our own journey through life, and while I honestly can't understand how people find faith (as in my brain just can't parse it) , I know it's very important to my parents and many others. It's easy to get caught up in the politics and miss the individuals.

Regardless though, I do not seem to have the capacity in me for faith, nor do I feel any lack from it, I find the meaning and fulfilment that many get from religion from myself and my friends/family.

That said my Dad taught me as a child that the most important parts of the bible are "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and "love thy neighbour as thyself". Despite leaving the religious justification for these behind, they have remained guiding principles in my life and are the reason I feel I can judge myself a good person, so I will forever be grateful to him for emphasising those lessons.

I hope this doesn't read as an attack on religion or outside what you are looking for in this thread MOJ. We all have our own journey through life, and while I honestly can't understand how people find faith (as in my brain just can't parse it) , I know it's very important to my parents and many others. It's easy to get caught up in the politics and miss the individuals.

karradin, your post absolutely does not read as an attack. You are one of the best examples on the board for The Golden Rule; it's one of the reasons I think you're so awesome. :)

Regarding Sacred Harp music, there used to be a group that met on the court square in a little town close by where I live and sang it every weekend when I was a kid. They don't do it anymore. It has died out here, which is a shame, because it's glorious.

I've always been partial to "I Danced In The Morning." It's such a great song. And perfect for Easter. At Christmas, my favorite hymn has always been "Away in a Manger." I also have a soft spot for "Gloryland," but that's more of a spiritual then a hymn, I think.

I love hymns. Many of them are so beautifully written. I know the trend now is to go to "praise music" in churches, but while those songs are usually very catchy and can be uplifting, they lack the poetry that hymns have. A good hymn, IMO, can be like a mini-sermon all unto itself.

As I was sitting in church today I wondered what your favorite hymns are. Mine are Amazing Grace and the Peace Prayer of St. Francis. What are yours?

I don't hear it much, but I like St. Teresa of Avila's Admonition.

Haven't caught up on the rest of the thread yet, but
In Excelsis Deo
is my all-time favorite for Christmas

Joy to the World in a full Orchestra is spectacular too.

I like Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.

I was nominally raised in the United Church of Christ. As a adolencent I became involved in a Pentacostal denomination and from there was active in the Evangecal movement until my late 20's. Increasing frustration with the religious right eventually forced me to leave the church as a matter of conscience. This was a painful time for me, as it lead to effectively severing numerous long-standing friendships. I spent the next 5 or 6 years believing that I would never became involved in organized religion again. Way to disillusioned. About 3 years ago I became involved with the local Quaker meeting, where I have found an environment that I find very comfortable to worship and to involve my children in.

Quakers, or the Religious Society of Friends as they are officially called, is in many ways unique amoung Christian denominations. It has its roots in late reformation Englaned. Its long and convoluted history has resulted in 3 distinct branches of Quakerism - Liberal, Conservative, and Evangelical. This terminology is not to be confused with contemporary political labels, though political leanings amoungs memebers due tend to track along those lines regardless. Liberal Quakers are welcoming people from many faith traditions. My meeting, which falls in the Liberal Branch, has members that are Christians of various stripes, Buddists, pagans, and aethistists. In that regard it is similar to Unitarian-Universalists. The conservative Quakers are more definitevely Christian. The most distinctive element to Quakerism is the unprogramed service. There is no pastor, no sermon and no panned music. the congration sits in contemplative silence. Anyone is welcome to speak on whatever matters are on their hearts, making some services very lively and others a profound silence (the Evangeical quakers have largely abondoned this approach, and have adopted Pastor lead services that largely resemble those you would find in a typical church). I've found it to be an unique and moving experience. The meeting is lead by a rotating clerk and assistant clerks, but all significant decisions are made communically in regular business meetings and require the consent of all that attend. This can make the process slow, which generally fits the thoughful, contemplative approach Quakers tend to prefer. Theologically, the central element of quaker belief is that there "is that of God in every person". This can be interpreted in many ways. The athiests in the meeting take it more as that there is deep value in every human life. The Christians tend to see it more as there is literally an element of the divine in every individual or that every individual has a connection to the divine. This foundational belief leads to a deep respect for human life, a generally very activist mentality, and, in the element that Quakers are most strongly known for, strong Pacifist leanings. Quakers been known for be very active in the anti-slavery movement and for Native American rights as well as for their efforts to promote peace.

I consider myself as a Christian and approach Quakerism from that persective. I appreciate the willingness to learn from many different faiths, the absence of a strong dogmatic tradition, and freedom the lack of structure brings. After coming from and rejected a tradition that was authoritative and dogmatic, I find this very refreshing. I first became aware of Quakers because of my pacifict leanings but as a read about them found a great deal that was attractive in their approach. It has given me a space in which to reconsider and became reaquinted with my faith, an element that had largely atrophed.

Archived