[Starz] Black Sails [Spoilers off the port bow!]

Commodore

• 3 months later...

You can watch the first episode for free online right now:

http://www.starz.com/originals/blacksails/videos/video/371

I have to say, it's pretty darn good, and if the show keeps up this level of quality, i reckon we might have a real winner on our hands.

That's a pretty brave marketing strategy to put the episode on the web before it premiers. I hope they take this into acount if the actual ratings aren't so good. I guess for a cable channel they'll hope people sign up for the rest of the season if it impresses.

another trailer, definitely looks like a pirate version of Spartacus (which is not necessarily a bad thing)

Well, it looks to be far more realistic, and except some nudity they have little in common. I'm positively surprised they went realistic way instead of PotC. So far it has been decent. I liked Flint and his 2 subordinates, John Silver is not that great, but we will see. I was originally going to applaud the writers for not including any female pirates, but it looks like they couldn't help themselves not to include at least one. :) Ships CGI looks shitty, but there are just few of such moments.

I'm watching this now and struggling to see why I should give a shit about the apparent protagonist. He's a weasel, and not even an interesting one.

That said, after having now finished it, I like it as a whole and the rest of the cast are interesting enough.

I'm watching this now and struggling to see why I should give a shit about the apparent protagonist. He's a weasel, and not even an interesting one.

That said, after having now finished it, I like it as a whole and the rest of the cast are interesting enough.

You mean the "cook"? Well he is John Silver so weasel and asshole are/will be his second names? :)

But I agree that of all cast he seems to be the weakest. Still we will see, what will the writers do with him in next episodes.

Still I don't understand how does he plan to gain the treasure without help.

Well, it looks to be far more realistic, and except some nudity they have little in common. I'm positively surprised they went realistic way instead of PotC. So far it has been decent. I liked Flint and his 2 subordinates, John Silver is not that great, but we will see. I was originally going to applaud the writers for not including any female pirates, but it looks like they couldn't help themselves not to include at least one. :) Ships CGI looks shitty, but there are just few of such moments.

Well, the female pirate would be Anne Bonny, so there is historical basis for it.

Well, the female pirate would be Anne Bonny, so there is historical basis for it.

Wiki suggests there were several - particularly operating in the caribbean so it's not too far fetched at all. Plus it's based on a ficitonal set of characters anyhow so they do have a fair bit of leeway with it to create other female pirates.

Yes, but not female pirate super knife fighter that can deal with huge black guy without any problems. It's not that big problem (they can be quite fun), it's just female badass ninja is becoming quite a cliche nowadays. PotC, Vikings, Spartacus and so on... Originally I thought one of the trailer chicks will be also badass ninja pirate - when it didn't happen I was like "fine, no hollywood cliches so far, then there was "Blackbeard" introduction - oh fuck! they made Blackbeard a female - wait that's not Blackbeard, great! (it was pretty funny scene BTW) and then boom! our typical female ninja is there.

I know they do it to get some female (and male too) viewership, but I would like one show that could avoid it, especially one like BS that looks so realistic - no eye patches, parrots, no slowmotion fights with CGI blood, no Johnny Depp ...

Watched it. And I'm having mixed feelings about it.

The CGI was utter shit for a show that's supposed to be pretty high-budget. But the real problem is probably going to be the writing, let's hope that it's another Spartacus situation and they manage to improve themselves quickly.

Toby Stephens as Captain Flint is a joy to watch. He's great in everything (he was the only enjoyable thing in the insanely stupid "Die another day") and I also feel that his character has the most potential.

I really want to like Hannah New. She's pretty hot, but if the first episode is any indication we'll have a Kit Harrington on our hands (someone who we can't judge properly as an actor because the writing for their character is beyond poor).

I agree with the sentiment about John Silver. He's way to slick in a modern con man kind of way. And eventhough he had the chance to display his acting skills, it fell pretty flat. I would say that I hope he get's killed soon, but that's never going to happen.

The prostitute Max was a little forced. The enemy captain (Vane?) looked like he could be an antagonist in Twilight.

Yes, but not female pirate super knife fighter that can deal with huge black guy without any problems. It's not that big problem (they can be quite fun), it's just female badass ninja is becoming quite a cliche nowadays. PotC, Vikings, Spartacus and so on... Originally I thought one of the trailer chicks will be also badass ninja pirate - when it didn't happen I was like "fine, no hollywood cliches so far, then there was "Blackbeard" introduction - oh fuck! they made Blackbeard a female - wait that's not Blackbeard, great! (it was pretty funny scene BTW) and then boom! our typical female ninja is there.

I know they do it to get some female (and male too) viewership, but I would like one show that could avoid it, especially one like BS that looks so realistic - no eye patches, parrots, no slowmotion fights with CGI blood, no Johnny Depp ...

:agree: 100% This trend really needs to stop, it's getting quite old seeing the obligatory female badass take out the biggest guys in the room (and something about her acting just irked me).

I'll watch the next few episodes since I like pirates and I really want to give Starz a chance because it gave us Spartacus. Let's hope it improves.

I really liked the first episode... mainly because it delivered exactly what I thought it was supposed to deliver... I was never under the impression that this would be the kind of show that brought you deep into a plot with superior writing, but rather a Spartacus-easque kind of romp that centered on fun characters and colorful uses of violence...

For me --and this is subjective-- it's the perfect show to watch opposite True Detectives... as they are polar opposites in how they are designed to entertain.

The CGI was utter shit for a show that's supposed to be pretty high-budget. But the real problem is probably going to be the writing, let's hope that it's another Spartacus situation and they manage to improve themselves quickly.

True, in fact early Spartacus episodes were far worse, than Black Sails. I wanted to give up after the first ep. I just hope there won't be any other naval battles - those ship shots looked like from Empire:Total War.

I was never under the impression that this would be the kind of show that brought you deep into a plot with superior writing, but rather a Spartacus-easque kind of romp that centered on fun characters and colorful uses of violence...

Really? I never got Spartacus vibe from it. I mean no CGI blood, no slow motion fighting, just a few drops of testosterone and even the sex scenes seemed forced.

True, in fact early Spartacus episodes were far worse, than Black Sails. I wanted to give up after the first ep. I just hope there won't be any other naval battles - those ship shots looked like from Empire:Total War.

Well, I would still like naval battles only without the Empire:total war shots ;)

Really? I never got Spartacus vibe from it. I mean no CGI blood, no slow motion fighting, just a few drops of testosterone and even the sex scenes seemed forced.

I think their intention lies closer to what GoT is doing than to Spartacus (they try that a lot imo: Camelot, White Queen were all closer to GoT then Spartacus when it came to style)

Archived