Could Cersei have always had it in for the Starks?

Indigo Cardinal

I always think of Cersei as a little Arya when she was young, Im sure Arya would of killed Joffrey if Joffrey hurt the butchers boy at that moment.

I've seen several Cersei fans try to compare her to Arya.

Does this sound like Arya?

"Give us our foretelling, or I'll go to my lord father and have you whipped for insolence." -AFFC

"'He’s mine', she said, 'and you’re just a milk cow, you can't tell me what to do. Be quiet or I'll have my father cut your tongue out. A cow doesn't need a tongue, only udders.'" -ASOS

What has Arya ever done to deserve such an insult as to be likened to Cersei. Young Cersei was very much like Joff. Where do you think the boy got it from?

Cersei has it in for everyone who doesn’t bow down and worship her. She’ll take it as a slight and want revenge. The Starks were a Great House on equal footing with her own, and they disapproved of her family’s conduct in Robert’s Rebellion. I’m sure she disliked them just for that. But I never got the sense that she had a personal vendetta against them. It was only after they crossed her that she wanted them annihilated. Also, she was jealous of Sansa for her youth and beauty. That probably made her dislike them more.

As for Lyanna, Cersei is under the delusion that Rhaegar would have never been interested in the wolf girl had she been his wife. She doesn’t have the sense to realize that she lost twice.

“Your father will find another man for you, a better man than Rhaegar."
Her aunt had lied, though, and her father had failed her, just as Jaime was failing her now. Father found no better man. Instead he gave me Robert, and Maggy's curse bloomed like some poisonous flower. If she had only married Rhaegar as the gods intended, he would never have looked twice at the wolf girl. Rhaegar would be our king today and I would be his queen, the mother of his sons.” –AFFC

Considering how successful she was at removing Lyanna Stark from Robert’s heart… I doubt she would have done any better with Rhaegar.

That's a great catch!

I did not pick up on that one.

Now that you mentioned it, it is possible.

Perhaps in Cersei's twisted thoughts she probably wanted to mold Sansa to her ways of tninking as a way of getting back at the Starks.

But, it is highly likely why she despises the North in general. Because the North is synonomos with the Starks.

Cersei has it in for everyone who doesn’t bow down and worship her. She’ll take it as a slight and want revenge. The Starks were a Great House on equal footing with her own, and they disapproved of her family’s conduct in Robert’s Rebellion. I’m sure she disliked them just for that. But I never got the sense that she had a personal vendetta against them. It was only after they crossed her that she wanted them annihilated. Also, she was jealous of Sansa for her youth and beauty. That probably made her dislike them more.

As for Lyanna, Cersei is under the delusion that Rhaegar would have never been interested in the wolf girl had she been his wife. She doesn’t have the sense to realize that she lost twice.

Considering how successful she was at removing Lyanna Stark from Robert’s heart… I doubt she would have done any better with Rhaegar.

This is one of the few places where one may sympathize with Cersei. By all accounts she was a great beauty. But how could she possibly compete with a sainted Lyanna of Robert's dreams?

In a way Rhaegar is to Cersei what Lyanna is to Robert, the perfect mate who was meant to be but couldn't be due to the cruelties of circumstance. If she ever has been in love it has been with Rhaegar. Even screwing Jaime and lancel and Kettlebeck and Moonboy for all I know can not drive Rhaegar from her thoughts.

What has Arya ever done to deserve such an insult as to be likened to Cersei. Young Cersei was very much like Joff. Where do you think the boy got it from?

I agree. She in nothing like Arya. For starters she is very Twyinish in looking down at everybody, which is exactly the opposite of Arya who would talk to anyone anywhere as equal to the point where even Sansa who is not such a condescending person disproves.

Also, Cersei is crazy , narcissistic , delusional , and cruel. Arya can be violent and wild , even murderous but she is not cruel. and she is perfectly sane. Also Arya a tomboy, while Cersei is very girly, even though she is frustrated with her femininity.

The only thing she has in common with Arya is that they are both very bold.

I don't think she , just as Tywin consider the Starks equal to their own house. They see them as barbarian northerners and do not seem to care much about them and what they think or don't think of house Lannister (and by them I mean Ned :) )

What you said about Lyanna is probably very accurate for the same reason. Proud Cersei would never consider the wolf girl a real competition enough to care about her. Not for a "real" prince like Rhaegar.

I so agree Sansa's youth and beauty seem to annoy her a bit. It is probably because Sansa is less northern like in her looks and behavior.

I don't think she , just as Tywin consider the Starks equal to their own house. They see them as barbarian northerners and do not seem to care much about them and what they think or don't think of house Lannister (and by them I mean Ned :) )

What you said about Lyanna is probably very accurate for the same reason. Proud Cersei would never consider the wolf girl a real competition enough to care about her. Not for a "real" prince like Rhaegar.

I so agree Sansa's youth and beauty seem to annoy her a bit. It is probably because Sansa is less northern like in her looks and behavior.

It wasn’t my intention to suggest that Cersei believed House Stark was equal to her own. Only that House Stark was regarded as equal to her house by society, and that Cersei would resent that.

IMO, she was too vain and obtuse to realize that Lyanna Stark had bested her twice. Otherwise, she would have been cursing that wolf girl every other sentence in her POVs.

It reminds me of when Osney Kettleblack was obviously into Margaery, but Cersei believe he was doing everything just to get with her.

I shall find some way for him to mount his filly soon, you may rely on that."

"I'll tell him, Your Grace. He's eager for that ride, don't think he ain't. She's a pretty little thing, that filly."

It is me he's eager for, fool, the queen thought. All he wants of Margaery is the lordship between her legs.

-AFFC

Or when she said Jaime would never leave her for such a creature as Brienne, when he basically already has. Regardless of whether there is anything more than friendship between those two, Jaime has performed some amazing feats to protect Brienne, while he refused to lift a finger to help Cersei. Brienne won Jaime’s admiration, loyalty, and protection, while Cersei lost them. But Cersei is too clueless to notice.

Her vanity won’t let her conceive of the idea that a man could care for another woman more than he cares for her. That’s why she hated Robert so much for whispering Lyanna’s name. It was a bitter reminder that she wasn’t the most beautiful, most lovable, most smartest, bestest woman in the entire world. Of course, she still refuses to admit it.

Archived