Notable Releases
From the Store
Game of Thrones Cersei Lannister Women's T-Shirt
Women’s T-Shirt Cersei Lannister
HBO US
Featured Sites
License Holders

Photo

Will Australia ever create a worldwide beloved TV or movie series?

70 replies to this topic

#1 Cyvasse Khal

Cyvasse Khal

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:50 PM

As a man in his 20's living his whole life in Australia, as many Australians would know, have grown up living and loving shows made in America and Britain. An advert for a new Aussie drama or comedy is met with a cringe rather than excitement. An Aussie movie is avoided like the plague usually as we flock to see the latest Hollywood hit. The prime time TV slots are given to reality shows that are either the same as each other or are the same every year. I'm not saying every single Australian made movie or show is bad, there are some hidden gems that pop up every now and again, but even they rarely reach a wider audience than our shores. We have some very talented actors and directors throughout Hollywood and Europe. The only time I can remember a collection of them coming together to make something that was seen by the whole world is the movie 'Australia'....and that was pretty bad.

So is there ever going to be something made in and by Australians that is distributed and then loved world wide, something to be proud of in our entertainment industry?

#2 aeu

aeu

Council Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

Crocodile Dundee?

Also, you guys should get some credit for Farscape as well.

#3 Brady

Brady

hella cromwell side-eye

• Members
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

Or Mad Max? Priscilla Queen of the Desert?

We don't do iconic TV shows very well (though our soaps tend to be pretty popular in some places, like the UK), I agree, but we do ok on the movie front.

Edited by Brady, 25 August 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#4 Warg Arry

Warg Arry

rainbow connection

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

Hopefully. I mean there are people who loved Neighbours in the UK. Kath and Kim and Wilfred were well received in the US...But then they made their own version.

I know you said something we can be proud of. But we don't have the same money going into tv and film that other countries do. Maybe in the future someone will do more than ask the question and actually put the ideas and work into making something great happen.

Edited by Warg Arry, 25 August 2013 - 12:16 AM.

#5 Brady

Brady

hella cromwell side-eye

• Members
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:18 AM

Things like Chopper have a cult following overseas too. A film like that will never be an international hit, just because so much of it can't translate to a non-Australian audience, but it launched Eric Bana and Andrew Dominic into Hollywood careers. Same goes for Two Hands and Heath Ledger.

#6 Cyvasse Khal

Cyvasse Khal

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

Mad Max was pretty popular in the 80's I guess. Crocodile Dundee i'm pretty sure most Australians hate for forever creating the stereotype of our accent and lingo. Yeah our main soaps go pretty well in the UK, much better than here anyway. Occasionally there is the odd movie that might do alright internationally (The Sapphires? Not sure how that went).

Money is an issue for sure, but at the same time a lot of great shows and movies are made on a shoestring budget. Paranormal Activity made millions worldwide on about $10,000 a movie.

#7 Brady

Brady

hella cromwell side-eye

• Members
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

Cyvasse Khal, you should look into Australian films of the 70s and 80s. Plenty of gems, many of which were very influential. Quentin Tarrantino is a big fan of a lot of aussie cinema from the 70s, for example. George Miller and Fred Schepisi are probably the two most well known directors who rose to prominence in that era, but there's a lot of good stuff from back then.

ETA;

Mad Max was pretty popular in the 80's I guess.

Dude, the Mad Max movies were a huge hit and very influential to this day. What do you think the Fallout video games are, other than a Mad Max aesthetic transferred to a US setting?

Edited by Brady, 25 August 2013 - 12:28 AM.

#8 Cyvasse Khal

Cyvasse Khal

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:36 AM

Cyvasse Khal, you should look into Australian films of the 70s and 80s. Plenty of gems, many of which were very influential. Quentin Tarrantino is a big fan of a lot of aussie cinema from the 70s, for example. George Miller and Fred Schepisi are probably the two most well known directors who rose to prominence in that era, but there's a lot of good stuff from back then.

Thanks for the suggestions Brady. I was born in 1988, and so from like mid 90's onwards when i was getting into movies, most of the trailblazing Australian cinema had died off. I realise there has been massive success and influence from Australian entertainment in the past, but I honestly think it's pretty sad now and don't really know where the next big thing to come from here will be and what.

#9 Brady

Brady

hella cromwell side-eye

• Members
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:46 AM

Oh definitely, the Australian film industry has not been in good shape for a while now. There'll be two or three decent flicks a year, but that's about it. It's just too easy for our boys and girls to go over to the states, put on a shitty accent, and become millionaires. If you're interested in anything more recent though, Animal Kingdom was really good, it's only a couple of years old, I think. Going back a bit further into the early 00s, The Proposition is fantastic (a very grim and violent australian western), and I really enjoyed Lantana.

#10 Black Wolf Smith

Black Wolf Smith

Heretical Harlequin

• Members
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

Well I saw Crawlspace and X: Night of Vengeance on Netflix, both were good, but not great. NBC has "Camp" which is made, and stars a lot of Aussies, is airing this summer, its ok. Its funny that they all do/try to sound American, except the "bad guy" who is of coarse an Australian.

#11 Matrim Fox Cauthon

Matrim Fox Cauthon

Keeper of Esoteric Lore

• Members
  • 10,946 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

I suppose Farscape quasi-counts.

#12 BigFatCoward

BigFatCoward

Party for your right to Fight

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

underbelly and summer heights high are both good enough to be interesting to people outside Australia. should we also not consider spartacus to be Aussie by association?

#13 Galactus

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds, wearer of Purple Hats

• Members
  • 26,360 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

Flying doctors?

#14 Warg Arry

Warg Arry

rainbow connection

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

Flying Doctors. I totally forgot about that show. I had no idea it was shown outside of Australia.
Was A Country Practice?

#15 Cyvasse Khal

Cyvasse Khal

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:29 AM

Yeah like i recognise there is some hidden gems that pop up occasionally that are good, but mostly don't get any recognition. Underbelly, especially the first season and the 1920s one were awesome and would be loved elsewhere but sadly I don't think have been. Farscape is a good example but was cancelled before it really got a chance to take off I reckon. I don't think Flying Doctors or A Country Practice were shown elsewhere (maybe Britain for A Country Practice).

#16 Ramsay Blow

Ramsay Blow

Council Member

• Members
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:37 AM

Oh definitely, the Australian film industry has not been in good shape for a while now. There'll be two or three decent flicks a year, but that's about it. It's just too easy for our boys and girls to go over to the states, put on a shitty accent, and become millionaires. If you're interested in anything more recent though, Animal Kingdom was really good, it's only a couple of years old, I think. Going back a bit further into the early 00s, The Proposition is fantastic (a very grim and violent australian western), and I really enjoyed Lantana.

The two movies that popped into my head when I saw this thread. I know they're not movie series but they're two brilliant movies, AK is probably in my top 5. David Michod is a stud and I can't wait for The Rover.

Edited by Ramsay Blow, 25 August 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#17 Gillio

Gillio

not an acronym

• Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

Screen australia have some statistics here

http://www.screenaus...s/whatsnew.aspx

#18 Sir Thursday

Sir Thursday

HELP!

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

I saw an advert for an Australian TV show called 'Wentworth' recently. Women's prison drama. Was that any good? Suspect given that Orange is the New Black has been doing good business on Netflix that it might suffer from appearing to be a copycat in some ways, but you never know...

ST

#19 Cyvasse Khal

Cyvasse Khal

Landed Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Screen australia have some statistics here

http://www.screenaus...s/whatsnew.aspx

Thanks for that link Gillio /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> really interesting going through some of those stats. Happy Feet, Moulin Rouge, and Babe are big ones that I forgot while i was thinking about this topic. Was Sea Change released internationally? Was surprised how strong that shows rating has been over the years, shockingly over acted and over dramatic.

#20 Gillio

Gillio

not an acronym

• Members
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Wentworth is a remake of a 1979 series called prisoner

ETA, yes I was trying to find what was released overseas when I found the site, Surely its there somewhere, but I cant find it!

Edited by Gillio, 25 August 2013 - 07:51 AM.

Reply to this topic