Why do people think Arya will die? (Just curious, not defensive).

Cloud

Well George does kill a lot of starks, so killing her wouldnt be too surprising. Nothing good ever happens to any of the starks that i recall. They are a doomed house, must have pissed off the gods somehow. I have a feeling George wont let anything good happen for the starks because most people like them so much.

How do you define "a lot"? Ned and Robb died, and Cat sort of died, though she wasn't a Stark by blood. Bran, Sansa, Arya and Rickon and all alive, as far as we know, that's not a bad ratio for this series, espeicially considering how much peril they've been under.

As a matter of fact the starks are not really weakend in a long perspective. Espacially if you consider jons possible heritage. It seems more like when the hammer really falls they are the once in cover. Honestly Sansa is in a good position, bran is going beyond mortal, Cat has left all the weakness of mortallity behind and Arya seems to become the first faceless with an identity...Everybody returning to take the IT will go after the lannisters or stannis. The lannisters are doomed. Cercai arrogent and incompetant and tywin dead.Tyrion the last remaining brain is gone and probably wants to kill the remainiing....

How do you define "a lot"? Ned and Robb died, and Cat sort of died, though she wasn't a Stark by blood. Bran, Sansa, Arya and Rickon and all alive, as far as we know, that's not a bad ratio for this series, espeicially considering how much peril they've been under.

really? Jon just got stabbed, Bran lost the use of his legs and now is in the heart of the others and rickon is on a island with cannibals. Sansa is in a worse place than she was before with a creeper like Littlefinger all over her and i dont see anything good that has happened to arya since the start of the series. Yeah the starks are doing A OK lmao

I think she's shown incredible patience, considering who the character is. She's been able to adapt to do whatever is required to stay alive, such as being a servant, and that's why she is still alive. That, and her ability to murderface people without blinking an eye probaly means she will survive some time yet, if not til the end. Like LF, people will continue to underestimate her. She almost doesn't need the illusions and disguises, because no one expects this little girl to suddenly end their life.

The fact that she just killed the singer for being NW deserter tells me that she is still fully a Stark. It's actually kind of a mystery why she hasn't been expelled from the FM yet. They must have some purpose for her, because I doubt they've lowered their standards.

The difference between Arya and Tyrion is that if Arya died now her entire sequence would be pretty much pointless, much as I enjoyed the stories and that they were useful for having eyes on other players. Tyrion already played his big game as Hand and such. He is likely to contribute more to the main storyline, but it'd be even more strange if Arya never did. It is a "Time for Wolves."

I think that she will die Nissa Nissa style.And Jon will be the one to kill her,but it won't be a coldblood murder.

In Braavos there is constant updates of news from the wall,she even heard about Jon being the current lord commander.So she will hear about his fate,and believing the last person she cared dead,she will lose the rest of her personality.

Maybe as undercover assassin she cross paths with Daenerys,but some way she returns to the north and sent to murder Azor Ahai.But when she discovers that he is Jon,has doubts but keep the mission anyway (because in her mind she is not Arya anymore),and in the end forces Jon to kill her,more an act of pity to free her,that she could be Arya again.

And after stab her heart with Needle (or Longclaw,or even Dawn),it turns on fire and became Lightbringer.

Another crackpot theory,but it's a logical conclusion.

really? Jon just got stabbed, Bran lost the use of his legs and now is in the heart of the others and rickon is on a island with cannibals. Sansa is in a worse place than she was before with a creeper like Littlefinger all over her and i dont see anything good that has happened to arya since the start of the series. Yeah the starks are doing A OK lmao

But you could do that with anyone, everyone gets fucked in these books. Jaime lost his hand, Cersei is on trail with death as the punishment if she loses, Tyrion lost his nose and has been nearly sentenced to death twice, amongst other things, Tywin was murdered by his own son, Mycella got her face slashed and about the only thing everyone seems to agree on is that little Tommen's days are numbered. Oh, and Kevan just got stabbed up by some kiddies.

So the most obvious "bad family" are having probably a worse time than the "good family".

But you could do that with anyone, everyone gets fucked in these books. Jaime lost his hand, Cersei is on trail with death as the punishment if she loses, Tyrion lost his nose and has been nearly sentenced to death twice, amongst other things, Tywin was murdered by his own son, Mycella got her face slashed and about the only thing everyone seems to agree on is that little Tommen's days are numbered. Oh, and Kevan just got stabbed up by some kiddies.

So the most obvious "bad family" are having probably a worse time than the "good family".

meh yeah the lannisters are right behind them but this all happened from the end of storm of swords till now where as the starks have been getting fucked over from chapter1 of the 1st book. Most of the other houses arent getting fucked over like these 2.

I just dont see anything good happening for them for the rest of the series is all im saying.

Her training as a Faceless Man, even if incomplete, will serve a purpose in the story. I don't think she will die or lose her identity as a Stark. As we know, she kept Needle and used her warg abilities in her training. I have a feeling Bran will contact her and that's when the "wolves will return."

meh yeah the lannisters are right behind them but this all happened from the end of storm of swords till now where as the starks have been getting fucked over from chapter1 of the 1st book. Most of the other houses arent getting fucked over like these 2.

I just dont see anything good happening for them for the rest of the series is all im saying.

The Stark kids got some kick-ass Direwolves in the 1st chapter, how is that getting fucked over?

At the moment she is safe, as others have stated how an imminent death would do little for her story. There is still so much to learn about the FM and who her next target is.

However, OP, how is her becoming an assassin a safeguard against death? Going forward she will involved in one highly dangerous situation after another. I can definitely see her getting the chance to kill Cersei or someone later down the road, and either failing/dying or succeeding but still dying in the process. The last bit of her identity she is holding onto is a quest for revenge. Not a good omen.

I've been reading the books pretty closely, and Arya is actually one of the characters who I think has a solid chance of surviving the series.

I'm surprised that a lot of this forum seems to expect her to die. So I'm just curious and I think I probably missed a lot of hints in the books.

Care to share your reasons why you think GRRM will kill her off? Personally I don't see the point - she's become an assassin, by the end of the series I always got the impression that she'd live the rest of her life as a hermit in braavos.

Was there any prophecy/foreshadowing that I missed?

Ignoring all the supposed symbolism if every little thing ever said to her or by her. ...

Arya's joined an assassin order within a death cult. Needless to say, the penalty for turning away from them once you're inside may very well be death. (Big surprise, right?) Moreover, death seems to precede her, follow her, and surround her. What can this mean for her future? She has a very dark life.

I hope she is not meant to die, I would be very upset if she did. I am not convinced that she will die, but the way things go in ASOIAF, I have to at least admit it is possible.

finding the dead direwolf foreshadowed the entire series. Not like the direwolves are helping the stark kids much anyways. Summer and Shaggy are a bit but Ghost and Nymeria aint done shit really.

Ghost found the dragonglass daggers, saving Sam and therefore leading Bran to BR, Nymeria took out the mummers chasing Arya and Grey Wind helped Robb massively in battle. And the foreshadowing did nothing to the Starks.

'whitedog42' wrote:

I think that the "Lone Wolf Dies" means that the Starks aren't really "Starks" without a pack or their dire wolves. Arya calls herself a mouse when she isn't taking charge of a pack-human- and she is separated from Nymeria. Sansa lost her wolf and is armored only in courtesies-like a Tully. It's been good armor, but I'm not sure she'll find her inner wolf. I would love to see Sansa's inner wolf begin hunting Petyr- not unleashed in a fury- although that may happen. Arya seems to have a bit more control over her moves and continues to have wolf dreams, to remind her she is a Stark/wolf. I thought that last statement about dying with a needle in her hands was meant to be funny and to irritate Arya and to symbolize that for Arya to be a true Lady who sews would be the death of Arya's spirit. So I don't see that as a strong hint. When Jon said to Arya, "Two roads that lead to the same castle," I thought that is a foreshadowing. Castle Black? There's a loaded name.

================================================================================

I read the foreshadowing the same way, though I am nervous for Arya. Two things in her favour: 1) GRRM shies away from child killing, which is even truer on the TV show. Joff doesn't count, and though Tommen and Myrcella will probably die, it's not like they're major POV characters. 2) By DWD Arya has the second most POVs after Tyrion. She's survived the worst heartbreak a child can and learned and practiced. GRRM surely will use all that and not sacrifice this special character to his character-destruction whims. Besides, Parris will kill him.

The main reason people think she will die IMHO is because it's pretty much impossible to figure where her storyline is headed right. If it doesn't fit in, the only logical conclusion is, she will die.

Wasn't there an interaction between Jon and Arya where he said something along the lines of "Who knows? Sometimes different roads lead to the same castle?" That's paraphrasing, but it was something like that. I'm optimistic that the pack will reunite. Arya will probably be troubled for the rest of her life though. It is a dark storyline.

Archived