What Line Made You Decide You Love a Character

Arthur Dayne's Honor

“My lord father taught me that it was death to bare steel against your liege lord,” Robb said,

“but doubtless you only meant to cut my meat.”

Bran’s bowels went to water as the Greatjon struggled to rise, sucking at the red stumps of fingers... but then, astonishingly, the huge man laughed.

“Your meat,” he roared, “is bloody tough. “

For both the Greatjon and Robb.

"There are no men like me. Only me."

So cocky, arrogant and annoying. Damn if Jaime doesn't make it work.

What really makes it great, for me at least, is that after you read Jaime's POVs, you understand that that line is laced with subtle self-loathing and he says it in almost a sad-arrogant sort of way.

"There's my lord husband. And here's my sweet suckling babe." Asha Greyjoy, as she catches a thrown axe out of the air and slams it into the table (splattering Theon with his own dinner) and pulls a dagger out of her bodice.

"Edd, Fetch me a block." I was pretty much ho-hum about Jon, a.k.a. that dorky human who Ghost allows to hang around with him for some reason, until he said that. Chopping Janos Slynt's head off might be the happiest moment of the series, one of the few morsels of no-strings-attached Poetic Justice we've gotten in this series (so far, eventually we'll get more), and it has cemented me as being down with Team Jon. I'm staunchly pro-Snow now. He's the man. <3 Jon now.

"You vile, scheming, evil bitch!" Margaery Tyrell absolutely owns and is awesome and if you fail to recognize this I regret to inform you that you are, in fact, totally lame. End of discussion.

"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look him in the eye and hear his last words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps he does not deserve to die." The Ned. 'Nuff said.

For Asha,

Asha smiled back. “Mormont women are all fighters too.”

The other woman’s smile faded. “What we are is what you made us. On Bear Island every child learns to fear krakens rising from the sea.”

The Old Way. Asha turned away, chains clinking faintly.

This exchange did it. Especially the last line. Asha contemplating the Old Way and turning away almost as if in shame just...yes please.

The others you listed are also my picks!

This exchange did it. Especially the last line. Asha contemplating the Old Way and turning away almost as if in shame just...yes please.

Yeah, that sticks out too, because it's another indicator, along with her campaign speech at the moot, that indicate she's the Ironborn's best hope for having a future. Any other potential ruler -- their current one, Euron, Very Much Included -- is only going to lead them straight off a cliff [or waterfall, I guess, given their Seafarer motiff]. And I like the Ironborn, so them not wiping themselves out due to moronic/insane leadership would be nice.

"We all know what my brother would do. Robert would gallop up to the gates of Winterfell alone, break them with his war hammer, and ride through the rubble to slay Roose Bolton with his left hand and the bastard with his right. i am not Robert. But we will march, and we will free Winterfell... or die in the attempt" - Stannis Baratheon

"Death. there will be death, aye. Your lordship lost a son at the Red Wedding. I lost four upon the Blackwater. And why? Because the Lannisters stole the throne. Go to King's Landing and look on Tommen with your own eyes if you doubt me. A blind man could see it. What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance! - Davos Seaworth [

"Death. there will be death, aye. Your lordship lost a son at the Red Wedding. I lost four upon the Blackwater. And why? Because the Lannisters stole the throne. Go to King's Landing and look on Tommen with your own eyes if you doubt me. A blind man could see it. What does Stannis offer you? Vengeance. Vengeance for my sons and yours, for your husbands and your fathers and your brothers. Vengeance for your murdered lord, your murdered king, your butchered princes. Vengeance! - Davos Seaworth [

badass

That full chapter and the next, Davos, Wylla and Manderly :bowdown:

"Then rise again, Davos Seaworth, & rise as Lord of the Rainwood, Admiral of the Narrow Sea, & Hand of the King."

For a moment Davos was too stunned to move. I woke this morning in his dungeon. "Your Grace, you cannot... I am no fit man to be a King's Hand."

"There is no man fitter." Stannis sheathed Lightbringer, gave Davos his hand, & pulled him to his feet."

"I am lowborn," Davos reminded him. "An upjumped smuggler. Your lords will never obey me."

"Then we will make new lords."

"Give me Cersei Lannister my lord, & I will show you how gentle a woman can be." -Catelyn, after Greatjon said women are the gentler sex

Also the Edmure, Davos & Jon quotes posted above.

I'm honest. It's the world that's awful-Sandor

Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.-Big Bucket Wull(Hugo)

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" – Bran Stark

"That is the only time a man can be brave." – Eddard Stark

This made me love Ned

"Vengeance." His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. "Justice." Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, "Fire and blood."-Doran Martell

This made me love the Martells.

I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done after the Trident

The king who f'n cared.

"You vile, scheming, evil bitch!" Margaery Tyrell absolutely owns and is awesome and if you fail to recognize this I regret to inform you that you are, in fact, totally lame. End of discussion.

This. Didn't care too much about Marg 'till she dissed that crazy bitch face-to-face. If only more characters did that.

Archived