Worst name in the series?

That Demon Monkey

Darkstar immediately came to mind. I know it's a nickname, but somehow that just makes it even worse.

Yellow Dick I don't mind. I mean the name.

It's kind of depressing to see all the hate for Ghiscari names. "LOL ITS WEIRD AND FOREIGN SOUNDING." Yeah I get it, Westeros has largely Western-esque names, and most of us are largely Western cultures background.

On the topic of the Essos names being hard to pronounce, as a guy living in a country with 11 official languages (South Africa) I have never really found the foreign-sounding names hard at all.

I mean, I deal with guys called things like Mboneli Mgqala or Simphiwe Gunguluza on a daily basis.

I have a very traditional British name for the record.

Darkstar immediately came to mind. I know it's a nickname, but somehow that just makes it even worse.

Yellow Dick I don't mind. I mean the name.

It's kind of depressing to see all the hate for Ghiscari names. "LOL ITS WEIRD AND FOREIGN SOUNDING." Yeah I get it, Westeros has largely Western-esque names, and most of us are largely Western cultures background.

For me it's not a matter of hating the names because they are "foreign" but finding them distractingly look-alike while I'm trying to read the text. I want the story to move forward and I feel like there are so many similarly consonant-filled minor Ghiscari characters to try to keep straight. I suppose that if any of them were critical to the long term progress of Dany's story arc, I would take the time to differentiate them, but my sense is that the the Mereenese political figures are temporary stumbling blocks for Daenerys to deal with in her larger story arc, so it's work to try to memorize the names.

I feel the same way about many of the minor Westerosi lordlings that are mentioned in passing references even if their names aren't "foreign" sounding. If they have significance to the big picture I'll remember their names; if not I'll probably forget them and end up having to read about them on the wiki to refresh my memory.

Lol. Every character in the Simpsons is a bit weird, doesn't taint the name for me XD I wouldn't mind if there was a Homer Glover, for example.

It's strange; this doesn't happen to me with any other name, and I haven't even seen the Simpsons in years. Homer Glover would be fine with me, because I'm aware of other Homers, but I'd only ever heard of one Cletus before.

Also. I forgot to mention Pyat Pree and Raff the Sweetling. Most of the Meereenese names are pretty bad, with the exceptions of Oznak and Hizdahr (I actually think it sounds kinda regal)

Aenys.

All of the Essos/Whatever names. Especially Reznak mo Reznak and the Green Grace Galazza Galare (oh and she has green eyes to match? GRRM, pls.)

I like the Lannister name and sigil but I gag at the alliteration some times:

O, my lady of Lannister!

My lion of Lannister!

Little lion!

Lord of Lannister!

LANCEL LANNISTER

Aenys.

All of the Essos/Whatever names. Especially Reznak mo Reznak and Galazza Galare (oh and she has green eyes to match? GRRM, pls.)

I like the Lannister name and sigil but I gag at the alliteration some times:

O, my lady of Lannister!

My lion of Lannister!

Little lion!

Lord of Lannister!

LANCEL LANNISTER

Gods, what a stupid name.

Do geographical locations count : eg winterfeld he place where its cold, or KingsLanding, the place where the king is. Its always fascinated me that locations have extremely descriptive names

I love the name Kings Landing. It literally represents where Aegon the Conqueror first LANDED in Westeros proper.

For me it's not a matter of hating the names because they are "foreign" but finding them distractingly look-alike while I'm trying to read the text. I want the story to move forward and I feel like there are so many similarly consonant-filled minor Ghiscari characters to try to keep straight. I suppose that if any of them were critical to the long term progress of Dany's story arc, I would take the time to differentiate them, but my sense is that the the Mereenese political figures are temporary stumbling blocks for Daenerys to deal with in her larger story arc, so it's work to try to memorize the names.

I feel the same way about many of the minor Westerosi lordlings that are mentioned in passing references even if their names aren't "foreign" sounding. If they have significance to the big picture I'll remember their names; if not I'll probably forget them and end up having to read about them on the wiki to refresh my memory.

Well, yeah, the characters are quite annoying. There's a ton of minor characters in the series, many of them forgettable in the extreme. The names aren't the problem there.

Archived