The SFF All-Time Sales List

Werthead

It looks like Martin has now sold over 35 million books in A Song of Ice and Fire.

Now it is 44.4 million books!

There are over 35 million copies of A Song of Ice and Fire in print, plus over 9.4 million in eBook sales — and growing daily!

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?group=related&sku=1101886048

• 2 months later...

Is it me or is Robert Stanek not on that list for some reason?

http://www.reagentpress.com/Robert-Stanek/index.html

Robert Stanek is the author of 70 books for young people and adults. He has been called a modern day Tolkien, and his books have been called Star Wars with Elves, a wonderful cross between Tolkien and Rowling. His blockbuster debut book sold over 150,000 copies and worldwide sales are quickly approaching 5 million. Learn more about Robert Stanek at robertstanek.com. Enter the breathtaking world of Ruin Mist at ruinmistmovie.com.

BTW, you seem to be a bit biased here, Werthead. You almost double Bakker’s known sales because info from other publishers is not available but keep OSC at 7 million when he has likely sold far, far more for a similar reason. Why not give him the WoT treatment and add 20 million copies because you don’t know?

BTW, you seem to be a bit biased here, Werthead. You almost double Bakker’s known sales because info from other publishers is not available but keep OSC at 7 million when he has likely sold far, far more for a similar reason. Why not give him the WoT treatment and add 20 million copies because you don’t know?

Bakker's known sales were 125,000 years ago. They got rounded up to 200,000 because the author himself reported that the books have now sold "Hundreds of thousands of copies". We have no further info, so no further figures are given. Wheel of Time's new worldwide figure was actually backed up by the French publishers, who reported it chimed with their own reports. In fact, both them and others in the know have told me the true figure is actually higher still (especially since we then learned that Books 12 and 13 alone added 12 million sales to the series), which makes me wonder why they haven't acknowledged it. They might be waiting for the publicity drive for the companion volume.

In contrast, sales figure reports for Card are approaching non-existence. I could very easily believe he'd sold 15 million or even 25 million, but there is no way of knowing exactly where the hell the real figure falls in that very, very wide margin. If someone wants to ask OSC and get back to me, I'll happily update that (when I get around to the next mega-update).

So, as I've been plowing lots of UF lately, I noticed there isn't a lot of UF authors on there. Was thinking writers like Seanan McGuire, Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, Patricia Briggs and Ilona Andrews should make the cut? Or are they not SFF "enough" to be counted?

Please be a troll.

LOL

Maybe he's an elf.

Was thinking writers like Seanan McGuire, Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, Patricia Briggs and Ilona Andrews should make the cut? Or are they not SFF "enough" to be counted?

More like there's not enough sales reported for the non-Charlaine Harris/Meyer/Butcher brigades :) If they can be found, they can be added.

I don't know if it's been changed, but it doesn't say that on the page linked.

Edelweiss has removed "Sales points" from their catalogs.

Slipstream Fiction Goes Mainstream

Tenth of December by George Saunders:

The book, which mixes a literary style with strange elements — women as lawn ornaments, for instance, or a fictional drug called Darkenfloxx — has sold nearly 300,000 copies.

Jeff VanderMeer's The Southern Reach trilogy:

which together have sold more than 150,000 copies

More like there's not enough sales reported for the non-Charlaine Harris/Meyer/Butcher brigades :) If they can be found, they can be added.

Weird. Apparently at least Ilona Andrews has been on a lot of bestseller lists. Linkage. I guess I have a difficult time figuring out why they would not release sales reports. But then I am neither a publisher nor an economist. :p

• 4 weeks later...

Veronica Roth update

over 32 million copies sold

Patrick Rothfuss

Rothfuss' books have sold millions of copies worldwide.

Terry Brooks update

He has sold over thirty million copies of his books domestically and is published worldwide.

James Dashner update

With 7 million copies of the series sold

Rick Riordan update

Today over forty million copies of his Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, and Heroes of Olympus books are in print in the United States

Archived