Comics VIII - the Crime Syndic8 of America

red snow

As usual, my impression was the opposite of yours, WiB :box:

Infinity was as pretentious as usual

I will make Kieron Gillen's words my own:

http://www.jlroberson.org/scansdaily/manchestergods17.jpg

There isn't a single word in the English language that I loathe more. I would be very glad if they abolished it. It makes me cringe even if it's referring to a work of art or to a person I despise.

Marvel is gutting DC of talent....because DC is run by idiots.

Yes, who knew hiring the guy that drove Marvel into near creative bankruptcy and made most of the major talents run away would lead to near creative bankruptcy and make most of the talents run away?

Catching up to the current volume of Astonishing X-Men (#36 - ...). I don't know which is worse: the art, or the writing. Was Marvel deliberately trying to fail to sell a book? Success. I hear it gets better after Liu takes over; I think I'll just jump to #48.

Oh,the inhumanity of it all.

"Are we bored (of your tedious teasers)?" "Are we (gutting the X-men franchise out of pettiness)?" "Are we (still under the belief that the comics in anyway influence people watching our movies)?" "Are we (paying someone to come up with these ad campaigns)?" "Are we (there yet)?

See, this is when I miss the like button. Anyway, they already confirmed it's Inhumanity, which makes you wonder why bother with the silliest teasers of the decade.

Hickman's God is Dead...wow this is bad.

It's like a something a tween wrote.

I'll have to look at it now!

But considering it's the most misused, abused, whatever you want to call it Nietzsche quote of all time, and Hickman ain't Ostrander or DeMatteis or even Gaiman...it wasn't looking promising.

I'll have to look at it now!

But considering it's the most misused, abused, whatever you want to call it Nietzsche quote of all time, and Hickman ain't Ostrander or DeMatteis or even Gaiman...it wasn't looking promising.

Odin refers to the world as a "bitch" who is "wet" and "spread wide open for us". :bang:

It's a terrible disappointment given how good East of West [is] us. I can't help but wonder if he's pulled out all of his good ideas from this series and put it in that one.

The old D&D manuals that had hit points for gods so you could kill them did a better job of representing the mythologies than this.

On Batwoman: I think the link you put up made some great points. I never really felt the marriage, but was willing to see where Williams took things. I just don't understand why it mattered so much to DC Editorial. It's not like Batwoman is in other books.

When the guy who is drawing your biggest comic in years for Gaiman wants a wedding in a midlist comic, I say let him have it.

I guess when you do creator owned there isn't really an editor to give you strong advice. Maybe "God is dead" is a case of this and it allows Hickman to get all of his puerile ideas out of his head. Better he does it hear than with Thor in "avengers" as I suspect he is guilty of imposing ideas he had already onto Marvel IP. I agree that he probably keeps his really good ideas for his own books though - which is a mixed bag as it's his definition of "good".

On Batwoman: I think the link you put up made some great points. I never really felt the marriage, but was willing to see where Williams took things. I just don't understand why it mattered so much to DC Editorial. It's not like Batwoman is in other books.

When the guy who is drawing your biggest comic in years for Gaiman wants a wedding in a midlist comic, I say let him have it.

The fact Batwoman isn't in any other books is something they can address as soon as JH Williams leaves. I imagine this was part of their pandering to a Sandman artist - letting him have the character to himself. It's probably better for them he walked rather than them having to fire him. Playground tactics rather than professional but that seems to be how Harras rolls.

It's probably better for them he walked rather than them having to fire him. Playground tactics rather than professional but that seems to be how Harras rolls.

I doubt there are Bat fans just waiting for Kate to show up in Synder's work. I actually don't think it was homophobia that made them stop the marriage, but from a PR standpoint this just seems so stupid after their OSC debacle.

Ah well, if it gets Williams to draw Dr. Strange that'll be cool. I actually think when his head is in the game Bendis does a good job with dialogue. I think what happened with Avengers was his run was too long and he just got weaker and weaker in his plots.

Still, hoping someone at Time-Warner peeks in and asks WTF is going on with Harras.

Yep. The dialogue was just terrible. Incredibly disappointing considering how good his previous creator-owned books were.

Well apparently they had another guy fill in the dialogue after the art was done because Hickman didn't want to use his original script...weird.

eta: This may have been a case of Hickman trying to do a friend a solid and get him a writer's paycheck on a book?

Andreyko is taking over Batwoman.

Frankly, given how much I loved his Kate Spencer Manhunter run, which used Chase and Director Bones extensively? This is an upgrade. He knows how to pace.

Boo-urns! Boo-urns! Stop ruining out DC-bashing fun! :P

...Actually I might have to agree with you. Batwoman was pretty when Williams drew it but I found the Wonder Woman team up arc sort of confusing/frustrating. I just [figure] he had a good following for the book and a lesbian wedding drawn by Williams would've been great promotion for DC.

I'm a couple years behind on my reading.

Infinity motivated me to stop putting off my jump back in. Last couple of years had me spread thin. Caught up on both of Hickman's Avengers titles to prepare, and damn, does this dude like to tell a big story or what? Seems like there's so many different moving parts, or maybe my head just isn't oriented yet for cosmic stuff -- I've always figured I'm just not wired for it. I'm assuming all of this stuff with the Builders and the multiverse are going to somehow overlap. Really liked the New Avengers stuff, but I'm more unsure on Avengers -- too much plot servicing, not enough character moments for me. Seems like the only ones getting any development are Hyperion and Thor -- it's great stuff, but I wish we'd get more of it.

The Inhuman/Corvus bit in Infinity #2 was phenomenal. Corvus is becoming a favorite and I've always loved the Inhumans. You know someone is absolutely killing it with his/her writing when I go from reading in my head, to reading aloud while performing character voices. Can't wait for Inhumanity.

I'm less enthusiastic about Battle of the Atom. New X-Men has been okay, but I haven't really been able to get into Uncanny. I think the only time I've ever truly enjoyed a Bendis book was Ultimate Spider-Man -- I seem to prefer him when he's focusing on a solo character.

I think I love Uncanny Avengers...but I'm not sure. I guess I need to read Remender's X-Force run to truly appreciate all he's doing.

Yeah. How on Earth did they ever think this wasn't going to be a bad idea. I guess it could have been worse it could have been drawing Maggie naked and attempting suicide.

How about thisto get it going again?

Yup, saw this last night on Jezebel. I sort of get what they were going for, a dark humor kind of thing...but even then does DC not have a PR department?

Of course, I knew a guy who worked for DC's marketing dept. and he wasn't too enthused about his job. So maybe the PR department just rubber stamps this kind of thing and then laughs when Lee and Didio have to try and put out so many fires.

Yup, saw this last night on Jezebel. I sort of get what they were going for, a dark humor kind of thing...but even then does DC not have a PR department?

Of course, I knew a guy who worked for DC's marketing dept. and he wasn't too enthused about his job. So maybe the PR department just rubber stamps this kind of thing and then laughs when Lee and Didio have to try and put out so many fires.

I also see where they were coming from with the idea and give them a pass for any of the ones that Deadpool would have been depicted in (Harley Quinn is to become DC's Deadpool - she even has a similar colour scheme but with breasts so DC thinks "win"). I still doubt we'd see Deadpool naked in a bath with electrical equipment posing "suggestively" though. Although it would be funny if Marvel did that.

I firmly believe that DC subscribes to the notion that there is: No Publicity Like Bad Publicity!

I also see where they were coming from with the idea and give them a pass for any of the ones that Deadpool would have been depicted in (Harley Quinn is to become DC's Deadpool - she even has a similar colour scheme but with breasts so DC thinks "win"). I still doubt we'd see Deadpool naked in a bath with electrical equipment posing "suggestively" though. Although it would be funny if Marvel did that.

I would absolutely not put it past the current Deadpool team...

and it would be HILARIOUS. Their run is great.

And so we have All-New Marvel Now. I must say I expected a bigger announcement than just an Invaders book and a new arc in Hickmanvengers. The Inhuman book has been teased for so long I'm already bored. All I want is the new X-Factor book, really, but still nothing on that front.

Everyone (and I mean everyone) predicted the Invaders book. Well, I hope it's good, but my vindictive nature is still going to sulk.

I really hope we get Good Fraction and not Bad Fraction on Inhumans.

Archived