Daario Naharis Recast

Westeros

As far as the change, there is some early feedback from Sepinwell, who says that 1) the transition wasn't handled gracefully, and 2) the new Daario is a better and more charming actor: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/firewall-iceberg-show-episode-8-game-of-thrones-the-100-doll-em-more.

Also: http://winteriscoming.net/2014/03/michiel-huisman-says-confusion-over-a-new-daario-naharis-in-season-4-is-not-a-concern/

I like the suggestion that Daario is a FM.

If Ed had of been amenable to a half day's worth of shooting they could have done the change.

I know! I know! This is so deus ex machina, but what the hell.

It's a fix up.

Anyway I could see that the FM maybe even the IB would really be interested in Dany.

After all Jaqen was shadowing Arya and knew who she was , in the novel it's up front, in the series, its the last thing 'Jaqen' says to Arya as they depart (not many people make much of this, that I have seen.)

I don't buy that Jaqen over heard it, a FM just does not turn up in the company of a high born Stark and eventually get her to Braavos as just a fluke!

If it's not funny, it's not funny. Not really sure why someone can't criticize an attempt at humor if it misses the mark for them.

Every scene doesn't need to further the plot, though. Especially in the first episode when you're re-introducing people. And, more notably, re-introducing a character you just recast. The only thing I'm concerned about on that front is how well they handle sort of filling viewers in that this is the same character as from last year, just a different actor.

I didn't find the scene funny either but that really doesn't bother me. It was quite cute.

Regarding your concern about viewers not realizing it is the same characters, I wouldn't really worry about it. He is after all Daario Naharis, so he'll tell us his name every time he opens his mouth.

I didn't find the scene laugh out loud funny, but I did smile. And I think 30 seconds to (somewhat, as much as is possible) organically re-introduce Daario is just fine with me. "Where's Daario? He's with Grey Worm your grace. Take me to him". We know who Grey Worm is, so that other dude who doesn't look at all like Daario must be Daario. Ok, moving along...

I am always going to imagine Daario as Jason Momoa's Khal Drogo with dyed hair and beard. Nothing can change this.

As has been noted that is why Dany was attracted to Daario in the book, he reminded her of Drogo.

In that case , and I am sure Jason would have liked it, he could of come back if they had used the outlandish appearance as in the book.

I mentioned before that Deadwood used the same actor in totally different parts in season 1 and season 2.

I did not catch it until someone wrote about it.

Archived