What was the most unexpected/shocking moment in the series?

nillingar

Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!

I mean, I knew he said he'd go north but the spectacular nature of his victory (1.5k Knights defeating the Giant and Mammoth infused host of the King Beyond the Wall) as well as his behaviour afterwards (letting the Wildlings pass, focusing on the Others, turning the underutilized NW land into actual useful defensive structures etc.) really was rather surprising.

I dunno, the first major reveal, really, that Joffrey is Jaime's and Cersei's bastard, I think. It was pretty shocking, I remember thinking: "Oh my God, now that was unexpected, never seen ANYTHING like this in any novel, ever!"

But RW? Nah, nah. I knew it was coming. I knew it the first moment Robb introduced his wife to Catelyn. Then the tension started to escalate and I knew that they are going to kill him, and when Jaime told Bolton to pay Robb some respects from Tywin Lannister, it was pretty much obvious.

I liked it, nevertheless.

Oh, and Tywin's death, that was pretty much unexpected.

The biggest one was the revelation that LF had orchestrated Jon Arryn's murder. That took me by complete surprise.

Honorable mentions include the reveal of Lady Stoneheart, Ned's death, the manner in which Renly was killed. I wasn't surprised he died, but the shadow assassin caught me off guard. I expected something to go down at the RW, just not at that level. I haven't seen much mention of it on this thread, but the reveal of just what the three-eyed crow is surprised me. Wasn't expecting an old tree man.

Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!

I mean, I knew he said he'd go north but the spectacular nature of his victory (1.5k Knights defeating the Giant and Mammoth infused host of the King Beyond the Wall) as well as his behaviour afterwards (letting the Wildlings pass, focusing on the Others, turning the underutilized NW land into actual useful defensive structures etc.) really was rather surprising.

Yeah, this was pretty surprising to me as well. I knew he would go north at some point, but I gotta say I thought his army was still too depleted to attack when he did. I figured he would have to gain more men somehow. While reading Jon's chapter where he is sent to Mance by Janos etc. I did not see that coming at all.

1) Jon's stabbing at the end of aDWD. Didn't see that coming at all. The only moment that made me put down the book out of shock/horror.

2) Arya going blind. By the 5th book I was so into her character that anything significantly bad happening to her was almost devastating. I was really worried that she'd never get back her sight, having a handicap like her brother for the rest of the series.

3) Ned stark's beheading - I first saw this via the show and couldn't believe it. He seemed like the main character.

4) Littlefinger killing Lysa. That was a big WTF moment. I was convinced he actually had a thing for her and wanted to marry her to inherit the Vale

5) Bran's encounter with the Children of the Forest - being able to use the tree to see any other Weirwood tree in the world. That blew my mind. I was expecting something interesting to happen but not that.

The Red Wedding wasn't as shocking because I accidentally spoiled Robb's death by looking at a Stark family tree online. I knew he was going to die, I just didn't know when or how though I suspected it might be at the hands of the frey's since he married jeyne.

Oberyn losing was the big shocker to me. He had it going, he just had to wring out that confession. Sigh.

Ned's death is a massive shocker to a lot of people, because a lot of people go in thinking he's the main character. I was spoiled while reading the first book, otherwise this would be the biggest shock. My brother was talking to me while reading and said "Yeah, all my favorites, Ned, Robert, and Drogo, die in the first book." So I knew it was coming.

Archived