Lady Rohanne Appreciation Thread

Lord Nightstalker

I think the end of this story is representative of how the series will end. Dunk didn't get the girl but instead an outcome was achieved that seemed to benefit the majority of the characters involved.

Well, he'll "get the girl" at some point, since we know there's descendants of the Lunk running around Westeros, but we also know he'll lose her again somehow, since he ends up as Lord Commander of Egg's Kingsguard.

I liked the parallel you can draw between Rohanne's braid and the Dothraki braid. She was a very proud and fiery woman who dominated Dunk from the moment she met him; him taking her braid kind of represented the loss of her ego and Dunk's victory. Am I reading too much into this?

Did anyone else think Lady Rohanne and Dunk had sex after he cut her hair?

Yes, I think that they did. If so, and she became pregnant, maybe their child is the ancestor of Brienne. If it was a girl then it's easy to imagine that she in turn made a political marriage somewhere in the Stormlands. I'm trying to think of spider references in ASoIaF that could be more clues, but I can't think of any at all - apart from Varys. No idea how he might fit, if at all.

Yes.

She married Eustace because since she can't have the man she actually wants - Dunk - she'll take the most pragmatic solution available.

And while I prefer not to think about it I am sure they consummated the marriage; consummation is tied to validity and validity is tied to her keeping Coldmoat. I like the Brienne theory - Brienne's highborn, and this gets Dunk's DNA into the nobility.

If you buy that Brienne (freckled, super-tall) is one of Dunk's descendants, maybe they had a fling at some point after the events of The Sworn Sword.

I liked Rohanne. Like a lot of noblewomen in Westeros, it seemed like she got a raw deal.

I'm guessing they consummated, but I thought House Osgrey went extinct, so I doubt they had any children from the union.

Pretty sure House Osgrey didn't go extinct, in fact I assumed that the story marked the start of a resurgence for the House, what with getting Coldmoat back.

I did think it quite sad though that Rohanne was pretty much doomed to be a widow for what? the 4th time? 5th? There's no way Eustace outlived her.

• 5 months later...

No. Dunk had repeated fantasies of just getting to kiss a woman. If he'd had sex, it would have been a bigger deal and it'd be hinted in this book or the next.

I like the Dothraki symbolism though.

Archived