Stannis and his future: Textual Evidence supporting his next moves

Irelands Gemstone

Thread Revival: The original post was made by myself in 'Winds of Winter' part of the forum. It gained just over 23,000 views and 230 replies before going seemingly extinct.

The basis of this thread is to give parts of the text, particularly a prophecy by Patchface, seemingly a gibberish prediction context with some clever snippets of information.

''we will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will all ride seahorses and mermaids will blow great seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.''

This dosent make sense until you take it in one of two contexts.

a.) We will all ride seahorses means ... what? Velaryon ... remember him, Aurane Waters the bastard of Driftmark is the bastard son of a Velaryon (Stannis' high admiral) whose sigil is a seahorse.

- Spoilers for WoW but essential to the topic -

Aurane Waters has recently gone rogue with Cerseis new warfleet. Where he will end up is a mystery, but this suggests he will go to stannis.

OR

b.) this is the more unusual of the two options. The ship Sansa Stark and Petyr Baelish left kings landing on, its flag bore a Mermaid blowing a great seashell.

This seems to hint, that maybe Stannis, who needs to get his rumpus South, will do so on Velaryons stolen fleet ... with what army after his is caught in a battle of ice up North and nearly destroyed ... why a Vale army. Perhaps backing the rightful lady of the North, who will back Stannis as rightful King in the south. Littlefinger is devious and Stannis didnt care for him much however. This last part is simply my analysis, please offer any theories on it you make construe and post any information you might find.

c.) Contributed by Lost Melnibonean

who suggest that the Merling King is a braavosi galley carrying Justin Massey to hire sellswords in Essos with money from the Iron Bank. This makes a great deal of sense considering that this sellsword army would trumpet Stannis' presence, the question with this theory being where Stannis would land that the sellswords would be welcoming him.

I haven't read it yet, but in a sample Arianne Chapter from TWoW, Aurane Waters is reported to have become a pirate in the Narrow Sea. His "Bastard blood" in effect probably. I do not think he will join with Stannis, but there may be a chance that he can be hired by Justin Massey.

Option B is a nice catch, maybe Sansa will reveal herself when Rickon is revealed, and join with Stannis once LF is out of the picture.

Sansa would have to kill Littlefinger first, which I think that she would do to protect Robert Arryn. I'm sure, by end of DWD, that the thought that Littlefinger might kill Robert to get Harry the Vale has crossed her mind.

So, she kills Littlefinger and then tells Robert Arryn to declare for Stannis, which he does because she is now his de facto mother?

I love Stannis but he will have some heroic,last stand battle against Others,so no,he wont leave North,and no,Vale wont join him

What if he needs the vales help to fight others? Them joining him doesn't have to be for a march on the south.

What if he needs the vales help to fight others? Them joining him doesn't have to be for a march on the south.

My Crackpot Mode is on, but something tells me that the Vale could possibly join the war against the Others. One of the first death we see by an Other is the death of Waymar Royce. Maybe this coukd signal some unfinished business between Yohn Royce, and possibly by extension, the rest of the Vale.

My Crackpot Mode is on, but something tells me that the Vale could possibly join the war against the Others. One of the first death we see by an Other is the death of Waymar Royce. Maybe this coukd signal some unfinished business between Yohn Royce, and possibly by extension, the rest of the Vale.

Agreed. Stannis and the 5k men he has won't be nearly enough to even slow the others down. If the vale brings another 15k(the most likely amount to be able to get there) they can be transported on manderlys fleet to the north.

Thread Revival: The original post was made by myself in 'Winds of Winter' part of the forum. It gained just over 23,000 views and 230 replies before going seemingly extinct.

The basis of this thread is to give parts of the text, particularly a prophecy by Patchface, seemingly a gibberish prediction context with some clever snippets of information.

''we will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will all ride seahorses and mermaids will blow great seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.''

This dosent make sense until you take it in one of two contexts.

a.) We will all ride seahorses means ... what? Velaryon ... remember him, Aurane Waters the bastard of Driftmark is the bastard son of a Velaryon (Stannis' high admiral) whose sigil is a seahorse.

- Spoilers for WoW but essential to the topic -

Aurane Waters has recently gone rogue with Cerseis new warfleet. Where he will end up is a mystery, but this suggests he will go to stannis.

OR

b.) this is the more unusual of the two options. The ship Sansa Stark and Petyr Baelish left kings landing on, its flag bore a Mermaid blowing a great seashell.

This seems to hint, that maybe Stannis, who needs to get his rumpus South, will do so on Velaryons stolen fleet ... with what army after his is caught in a battle of ice up North and nearly destroyed ... why a Vale army. Perhaps backing the rightful lady of the North, who will back Stannis as rightful King in the south. Littlefinger is devious and Stannis didnt care for him much however. This last part is simply my analysis, please offer any theories on it you make construe and post any information you might find.

One little question: How is Sansa the rightful Lady of the North when she is four in the line of succession after Bran, Rickon and Jon (legitimized by then Lord Paramount of the North, Lord of Winterfell and KitN Robb Stark). That would make the Lord of Dragonstone a bigger hypocrite than he currently is?, i mean isn't that the argument against Renly, that he usurped Stannis right?

Bran and Rickon are considered dead, Jon has just been Julius Ceasered out of the picture (maybe he dies, maybe he dosent, nobody knows about Robbs Will yet) Arya is missing, Robb is dead .... how is Sansa not Lady of the North?

Even if Rickon is presented, he is young and wont be taken at face value.

Also, Sansa has an army :) Armies make succession so much easier to understand.

One little question: How is Sansa the rightful Lady of the North when she is four in the line of succession after Bran, Rickon and Jon (legitimized by then Lord Paramount of the North, Lord of Winterfell and KitN Robb Stark). That would make the Lord of Dragonstone a bigger hypocrite than he currently is?, i mean isn't that the argument against Renly, that he usurped Stannis right?

Pretty much everyone believes Bran and Rickon to be dead whilst Jon Snow has chosen the Night's Watch over becoming Robb's heir which makes Sansa next in line.

eta; beaten to it

I have two thoughts that I'd like to add.

One is that I don't think that this prophecy necessarily needs to apply to Stannis. It could be someone else that leads the Seahorses and Mermaids.

If this prophecy does apply to Stannis, some people are saying that Littlefinger will have to be dead, which I don't agree with. If there's any way for Littlefinger to take advantage of something, he will.

I can see the Lords Declarant bending to Stannis, easily, but Littlefinger? Stannis is the last guy he'll be able to pull strings, there's no point.

Stannis is the perfect person for Littlefinger to control because Stannis is bound to duty and he's iron through and through. This makes him extremely predictable, sorta like Ned :( and we all know how Littlefinger played Ned dirty.

Bran and Rickon are considered dead, Jon has just been Julius Ceasered out of the picture (maybe he dies, maybe he dosent, nobody knows about Robbs Will yet) Arya is missing, Robb is dead .... how is Sansa not Lady of the North?

Even if Rickon is presented, he is young and wont be taken at face value.

Also, Sansa has an army :) Armies make succession so much easier to understand.

But should not some things happen before Stannis is ready to accept Sansa? Like her getting to KL and getting her marriage to Tyrion annulled or Tyrion dying and making her a widow?

Because otherwise Stannis had this to say when Jon tells him thet WF belongs to Sansa

“By right Winterfell should go to my sister Sansa.”

“Lady Lannister, you mean? Are you so eager to see the Imp perched on your father’s seat? I promise you, that will not happen whilst I live, Lord Snow.”

Aurane Waters joining Stannis makes a lot of sense. While we don't know much about him, he did hint to Cersei that he would like his own lordship. No one in King's Landing is going to give him one now. However, once he hears how Stannis has not only beaten the Frey-Bolton alliance and is now backed by the lords of the North, but also has an open line of credit from the Iron Bank of Braavos... he's going to show up and pledge fealty. Worse case scenario for him, he just sails away.

Now, the wording says the mermaids blowing the sea shells will announce their arrival. We know Stannis would just hang Baelish, and Baelish knows this as well. So, it is hard to picture how his ship will show up and herald the coming of Stannis and/or Queen Selyse and/or Shireen and/or the Night's Watch.

Archived