Mirri Maz Duur's Prophecy

Knights of Ni

"Mountains blowing in the wind like leaves"

I also think that this refers to the pyramids of Mereen. Check out this theory.

We know that in the Winds of Winter excerpts that have been spoiled, Barristan has led an attack on the Yunkai camp and have taken down several of the trebuchets. The forces that participated in the assault were the Unsullied, the Storm Crows, and a small band of Dothraki and pit fighters. The Brazen Beasts were left in the city as the last line of defense. As we know, the Brazen Beats are loyal only to the Shavepate. With the entirety of Dany's followers outside the city walls, I believe that the Shavepate will seize the opportunity to take power and bar the gates to the city. Shavepate will therefore be in control of the only military force within Mereen's walls.

So what will he do once this happens? He will send Brazen Beasts into the pyramids and kill all within.

We know that throughout the book, Shavepate has always been the advocate of killing the nobles and otherwise provoking violent conflict between Dany and the Harpy. He advises that Dany should kill the hostages taken by the noble families when the shadow war does not end. He gives her a list of noble families that he insists are members of the Harpy and urges Dany to eliminate them. He specifically mentions sending Brazen Beasts into the pyramids!

He will need a pretext in order to do this. Luckily he already duped Barristan into arresting Hizdahr for him. He will question Hizdahr rather sharply and he will quickly have himself a confession for the poisoning attempt as well as a long list of indictments for treason against many of the noble houses of Mereen. With all the nobles dead, Shavepate declares himself King of Mereen

How can we know is that actual prophecy. Maybe MMD just rhymed to scare Daenerys and her savages and she accepted that as real prophecy. Lets be honest Daenerys isnt very bright person.

Well at first I thought it was a really mean spirited way to say that he is NEVER coming back. But then after Quentyn Martell died who came from the west and died in the east, and the line about the Dothraki Sea going dry, it seems that it may be an prophecy after all instead of a spiteful rebuke.

I always thought something like:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east" Quentyn comes from West, dies on East,

"When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." Sea: Drogon burns part of the Dothraki Sea. Mountain: Dany destroy the pyramids and/or the slaver cities totally.

"When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. " Dany will be pregnant and gives birth to a child/children.

And the end that Drogo comes back or something like this. Dany dies during giving childbirth and she'll be with Drogo in the afterlife.

MMD is highly unreliable. She claimed that she could heal Drogo's wounds but failed. She claimed that she could save his life and failed. Why should anyone take this "prophecy" seriously?

I got the sense that her treatment may have helped his infections along as revenge for the sacking of her village.

I never put much weight in this as a prophesy. It makes more sense as Mirri Maz Dur's poetic way of saying "it ain't going to happen."

How can we know is that actual prophecy. Maybe MMD just rhymed to scare Daenerys and her savages and she accepted that as real prophecy. Lets be honest Daenerys isnt very bright person.

Dany never took it as a prophecy. After she failed to rouse Drogo, she repeated MMD's words and then whispered "Never...", right before she smothered Drogo as she realized he would never be the same again. It only looks like a potential prophecy in hindsight.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the Quentyn interpretation, however for the quoted;

Seas go dry many think is the Dothraki "sea" which we have seen 'drying' as the seasons change. The green grass turning to brown, etc.

'The womb quickening and bearing a living child' is likely Mirra taunting Dany thinking she has been rendered infertile after the blood magic. However, we may have seen Dany's womb quickening with the blood on her thighs in the last chapter of ADWD... so this may be yet to come (or it may be the bloody flux). Perhaps she will bear a living child later in the story and name him Drogo?

ETA - Oh and the mountains blowing in the wind may refer to the destruction of the pyramids in Mereen, assuming the dragons break loose and start wrecking sh*t.

The Dothraki Sea should turn white. The Dothraki believe that is how the world will end. It may just mean when the snow comes or possibly, when Jon and Dany come together. Nictarion said the other day that she would unite the entire Dothraki Nation. I was skeptical then, but I am beginning to see it happening. (in all things keep your mind open and think before you speak).

• 6 months later...

Good catching!And a crackpot theory:Drogon has Drogo's soul.

I was actually considering this.  For one Drogon sort of has a bit of the personality of Drogo although that is debatable.  But what I was thinking is that in general perhaps the dragons are reincarnated souls.   We don't know how dragons procreate within this universe, in fact I believe that is outright stated in one of the charcter POVs (I think Tyrion when he was thinking about all he knew about dragons). 

Also the fact that the dragons are genderless which is commented on several times. I don't know if that means that anatomically they do not have male and female dragons or if in general that animals/dragons don't have the concept of gender.    I took it to mean anatomically since I don't think that most people think that much about gender as a seperate concept from sexual anatomy. 

So how do the dragons procreate?  Blood and Fire are the Targaryen words and we saw Daenerys birth her dragons through blood and fire.  So perhaps that is how all the dragons are born, through sacrifice of blood and fire.  But during this sacrifice are souls transfered?  Does it have to be the souls directly tied to the sacrifice or perhaps the souls of the people that the 'parent' of the dragons is thinking of/holds dear.  In Daenerys' case perhaps Drogo her husband, Rhego her child, and Viscerys her brother.   Or maybe it was the actual blood that was sacrificed so Drogo, Mirri Maz Duur and the Drogo's horse (if one believes horses have souls, if dragons why not horses too? and some of the horses in the story do seem to have their own personalities especially Stranger)/ or Rhego who died within Daenerys womb.

Crackpot theory I know but we don't know how else dragons are born.  Of course this doesn't tell us how the eggs are made, just how they are 'activated' to hatch.  Dragons must have some sort of way to make the physical eggs.  Perhaps that is why the Valyrians originally had such close ties with Dragons.  Dragons could not produce without the assistance of magic ritual.  Or perhaps the ritual is only neccisary when there is less magic in the world and when there is a high level of magic the dragons can reproduce on their own without the assistance of the blood and fire ritual.

• 6 months later...

I'm fairly convinced about the Quentyn theory but I noticed this gem which may or may not be of value:

The Sworn Sword spoiler below

Spoiler

The Sworn Sword

"The sky," the old man whimpered. "The sky !" No more sense could be gotten from him, so they all went up to the roof for a look. Ser Eustace was there before them, standing by the parapets in his bedrobe, staring off into the distance.
The sun was rising in the west.
It was a long moment before Dunk realized what that meant. "Wat's Wood is afire," he said in a hushed voice. From down at the base of the tower came the sound of Bennis cursing, a stream of such surpassing filth that it might have made Aegon the Unworthy blush. Sam Stoops began to pray.

I believe Dany was pregnant at the end of Dance. Reznak says she has a 'glow' about her...a not so subtle hint from GRRM that she could be with child. I think she miscarried due to whatever sickness she developed or the berries she ate.

She made her descent an hour later. "All kneel for Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khaleesi of Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Shackles and Mother of Dragons," Missandei called.
Reznak mo Reznak bowed and beamed. "Magnificence, every day you grow more beautiful. I think the prospect of your wedding has given you a glow. Oh, my shining queen!"
Dany sighed. "Summon the first petitioner."

However, she did not bear a living child from this pregnancy. I'm like the others who think she dies in childbirth at the end.

When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.

We see Drogo's spirit rise to the heavens from the funeral pyre. We also know that Targaryens have problems in childbirth and tend towards stillborn / monstrous babies with lots of mothers dying in childbirth. I think this part indicates that Dany is perfectly able to have a child and that Drogo's spirit or soul will be reborn in a child that survives.

49 minutes ago, Evolett said:

When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.

We see Drogo's spirit rise to the heavens from the funeral pyre. We also know that Targaryens have problems in childbirth and tend towards stillborn / monstrous babies with lots of mothers dying in childbirth. I think this part indicates that Dany is perfectly able to have a child and that Drogo's spirit or soul will be reborn in a child that survives.

That tends to be what I think too (although I initially didn't think it was a prophecy at all). Drogo reincarnating or Dany dying are the only ways I can think of for them to actually be together... reincarnating works better with the idea of Drogo returning though. Of course, it is possible that he's in Drogon all like now, but how would we find that out?  

Archived