Why Noye wasnt knighted?

Señor de la Tormenta

Sorry than I insist with an older question, but I dont get why Donal Noye wasnt knighted either by stannis or robert. In SQ v10012 people reached an agreement that handicaped man cannot be promoted to knighthood, because they are expected to be able to fight. Willas tyrell was given as an example. But today, during a re read I found the case of Bywater during a re read: a soldier that was knighted by robert after pyke because he lost his hand... So damn, the question is still open for me. What do you think?

Knowing Roberts generosity, and the high concept stannis shows of him in ADOD is still a mistery to me why he wasnt knighted.

I'm sorry, but I have to.

RUM HAM!!! NOOOOOO!

"IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOU!!!!"

yes! By me! Read the whole OP, I found evidence against the agrement we reached about how a handicaped warrior couldnt be knighted!

haha oops. I guess I should have read more than the title. I still stand the the answer is in that thread somewhere among the following points

- Being knighted is far from a given just because you fought for the winning side in a war.

- Being a knight costs money, you have to be able to afford your own armor, warhorse, and sword.

- There's not really any indication that Stannis, Robert, or Renly especially liked Noye.

- He didn't have an arm, and thus had lost his value even as a non-combatant (he used to be a smith, and was not from an important family) so there was no political reason to Knight him.

I think it's another example of why knights are often full of shit while the real fighters get ignored.

The man commanded a great part of the Battle of CB, killed a giant single-handedly, and nobody's gonna write a song about it because he wasn't highborn or a knight

Westeros is so unfair sometimes :frown5:

The real question is: why was Donal Noye a blacksmith ? The surname usually indicates nobility. Did he descend from some exiled/dispossessed House, or maybe from a knight like the Heddles (the Crossroads Inn's owners) ?

The real question is: why was Donal Noye a blacksmith ? The surname usually indicates nobility. Did he descend from some exiled/dispossessed House, or maybe from a knight like the Heddles (the Crossroads Inn's owners) ?

We have seen many people with last names who aren't well off. Dick Crabb, Dolorous Edd, The Heddles who run the crossroads inn, the Gulltown Arryns and Jacelyn Bywater, who a reader asked martin about.

Jacelyn may not have been knighted until Pyke, but he did have a surname, which implies he had noble/knightly ancestors somewhere back there, though his might well have been a cadet branch fallen low in the world. I don't think this was established either way.

Crabb was of House Crabb and Edd is a Tollett. Bywater could be a descendant of a Waters (sons of bastards sometimes change their surname, like Rennifer Longwaters, the Red Keep's Chief Undergaoler). Noye is the only one we know nothing about, there was no reference to a "House Noye" in the books that I know of, no backstory at all, and that is strange.

Crabb was of House Crabb and Edd is a Tollett. Bywater could be a descendant of a Waters (sons of bastards sometimes change their surname, like Rennifer Longwaters, the Red Keep's Chief Undergaoler). Noye is the only one we know nothing about, there was no reference to a "House Noye" in the books that I know of, no backstory at all, and that is strange.

That's not true. We don't know of a house Heddle (though we do know of a knight with the name in Dunk's time.) The other example that springs to mind is Janos Slynt, who had a last name and then went on to establish House Slynt.

Archived